Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Off the record' weigh in rules change at UFC 158

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    He is single-handedly trying to break Tito and every other Brazilian's excuse record simultaneously.
    *cough* The Brazilian excuse requires you to win first, then make an excuse...

It is laughable to think that one of the most respectful fighters in our sport might actually have some integrity? If you say so...
    What kind of leap in logic is this? Just because we speculated on what the UFC/Commission might try to do if one of their star fighters hypothetically couldn't make weight, doesn't mean that this what the guy meant when he told Diaz that if he or GSP weighed in from 170 to 170.9 they wouldn't announce it as over 170 and that they would have an hour after to make the weight.

That is some piss-poor reasoning there.
    Well what else does it mean, we have both agreed UFC would not have changed its 170 weigh in 'claims' and your 170 plus one hour theory does not work out. Unless GSP was to step up himself in this hypothetical situation.

If you honestly think GSP would have stood up and said, hold up this isnt right. I didnt make weight and make the UFC look stupid... You have some crazy logic.

Are you really trying to say that GSP's corner purposely rubbed him down with vaseline and that GSP was fully aware of it during the bout? Now that is laughable.
    I didn't mean during the Diaz fight but they have in the past and got caught for it. GSP didn't say shit, the commission had to rub the grease off him with a towel. That leads me to believe in our hypothetical scenario (if GSP came in over and the UFC declared it 170- then GSP didn't make weight) GSP wouldn't have said anything.

That's because Nick and his camp have already made multiple excuses and Nate Diaz had the video posted on his facebook page.
    But Nick's camp still has not claimed GSP came in over weight.

Nick's camp can post this video to show the questionable weigh in issues without saying GSP came in over weight.

Thanks for playing though.
    Thats just it, playin'.. You are more concerned with winning an argument or 'flame war' you dont seem to really understand or put thought into what the other person is saying.

A question to the board out there, does anyone know if the Quebec Athletic Commission has an allowance for .9 of a pound or not? That knowledge itself would decide whether this was some bullshit Diaz camp excuse or something more.

And if not, those people laughing at it only being .9, well if its against the rules...

I didnt see Nate Marquardt getting a pass cuz he was only touch over the testosterone levels.

I didnt see Nick Diaz get a pass cuz he didnt even have actual thc in his system but instead metabolites which can linger for weeks to months.

If a rule is set, it doesnt matter if it is only .9 lbs over, it is still over. *Not that I am claiming GSP or Diaz weighed in over.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Not hearing anything from the Diaz camp about GSP not making weight or that he knew about this "rule". Still if they were going to let these guys weigh in at 170.9lbs both fighter should have known about that before they cut weight. Again I'm not implying that GSP knew as we haven't heard anything like that. Hell, maybe if Nick had 0.9lbs less to cut he could have gone to the open workout.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

4. Default

Do you really not understand? There is a difference between a hypothetical over-weight situation that you and I are discussing, and what the guy could have meant when he was talking to Diaz and his camp. It could have meant that they didn't want to alarm people/work the media up into a frenzy if GSP needed to use the extra hour to cut the weight. You make it seem like they've already decided backstage that if one of the star fighters doesn't make weight, they'll just cover it up.

If you honestly think GSP would have stood up and said, hold up this isnt right. I didnt make weight and make the UFC look stupid... You have some crazy logic.
    Yeah, they would have looked real stupid if they had to explain that one of their fighters was a fraction of a lb over 170, but they expected him to lose it within the permitted extra hour so they went ahead as planned. I mean, what's next? Giving an undeserved titleshot to a fighter coming off a loss and a year long suspension? Oh wait...

I didn't mean during the Diaz fight but they have in the past and got caught for it. GSP didn't say shit, the commission had to rub the grease off him with a towel. That leads me to believe in our hypothetical scenario (if GSP came in over and the UFC declared it 170- then GSP didn't make weight) GSP wouldn't have said anything.
    I know exactly what you meant. It was a big media circus and BJ Penn even had his mommy take the stand, remember? This is the gif of the incident:

You don't think that GSP might be busy focusing on his breathing and listening to Greg Jackson, instead of the minute amount of vaseline on his shoulders and upper back? Moreover, they already explained that Phil Nurse was doing a breathing technique from a video. Hell, you even see Phil Nurse perform the same breathing technique, rubbing GSP's back and shoulders, before the fight in the locker room while GSP'S shirt is still on. So it is very feasible that Georges would have had no idea that there was trace amounts of vaseline being put on his shoulders and back.

But Nick's camp still has not claimed GSP came in over weight.

Nick's camp can post this video to show the questionable weigh in issues without saying GSP came in over weight.
    I never said that Diaz's camp complained that GSP came in overweight. But it is fairly obvious (given their "Canadian loophole" quip, the fact that this was posted on Nate's facebook, and the plethora of excuses from that camp since the fight ended last week) that they are trying to make it seem that GSP was receiving special treatment by the commission.

Just what is it playin'.. You are more concerned with winning an argument or 'flame war' you dont seem to really understand or put thought into what the other person is saying.
    You're the one who engaged me in discussion with your hypothetical question about cover-ups. I gave you my honest opinion, you countered with yours and why you think mine is wrong, and I rebutted yours and reinforced mine.

Just because I don't agree with some of your opinions, doesn't mean I'm not putting thought into what you are saying. You are taking this stuff too personal. Not sure why you are bringing up a "flame war", since I didn't flame you during this discussion. If you are referencing past threads where you tried to be condescending and I pointed out your hypocrisy, well... you brought that on yourself.

I'm not holding a grudge. And neither should you.

So again I ask you... please get over whatever it is that is bothering you, so that we can have friendly discussions without you taking things too personally.
    Last edited by H0SS; 03-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    anyone else find it shady that the diaz camp all of a sudden starts filiming this guy as hes walking up?

I'll store this one away under the excuse collum. Whats that count at now anyways? GSP - 2 Diaz - 1,546 (and counting)
    What LOL?

Yeah, that's the shady thing here

Typical GSP nuthuggery. This is obviously something that needs to be brought to light but of coarse Diaz haters/GSP nut nuggers just try and use it as a way to make Nick look bad so they can hate on him some more, we all know how much you guys love doing that lol.

What do you expect Nick's camp to say when this is the first anyone has ever heard of this supposed "rule". "Oh, I'm sure it's an honest mistake or I'm sure there's no chance that Georges' being the UFC's biggest PPV draw and the fight being in his home down has anything to do with it"
    Last edited by dbader08; 03-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Do you really not understand? There is a difference between a hypothetical over-weight situation that you and I are discussing, and what the guy could have meant when he was talking to Diaz and his camp. It could have meant that they didn't want to alarm people/work the media up into a frenzy if GSP needed to use the extra hour to cut the weight. You make it seem like they've already decided backstage that if one of the star fighters doesn't make weight, they'll just cover it up.

Yeah, they would have looked real stupid if they had to explain that one of their fighters was a fraction of a lb over 170, but they expected him to lose it within the permitted extra hour so they went ahead as planned. I mean, what's next? Giving an undeserved titleshot to a fighter coming off a loss and a year long suspension? Oh wait...
    Oh I understand and we clearly have a difference in opinions.

You are under the belief that if GSP would have weighed over at the initial weigh in and the UFC deceived the fans by lying to them about GSPs weight.... Then if GSP missed weight... He would have been the shining moral compass and stood up to tell the world the UFC lied and he did not in fact make weight for his title shot.

I am under the belieft that if GSP would have weighed over at the initial weigh in and the UFC deceived the fans by lying to them about GSPs weight.... Then if GSP missed weight... the UFC would have covered it up because they had already told the fans one thing and didnt want to look stupid as their fighter came in a fraction over weigh and they did not want to ruin a much anticipated title shot.

I guess we can agree to disagree on our hypothetical situation.

You don't think that GSP might be busy focusing on his breathing and listening to Greg Jackson, instead of the minute amount of vaseline on his shoulders and upper back? Moreover, they already explained that Phil Nurse was doing a breathing technique from a video. Hell, you even see Phil Nurse perform the same breathing technique, rubbing GSP's back and shoulders, before the fight in the locker room while GSP'S shirt is still on. So it is very feasible that Georges would have had no idea that there was trace amounts of vaseline being put on his shoulders and back.
    I don't think GSP is stupid. I don't think this was just a rouge corner man taking things into his own hand. GSP was aware of what was going on. Why didn't GSP question when the guy from the commission stepped into towel him down? You would think most fighters would be confused if a person from the commission came at them with a towel in between rounds.

I never said that Diaz's camp complained that GSP came in overweight. But it is fairly obvious (given their "Canadian loophole" quip, the fact that this was posted on Nate's facebook, and the plethora of excuses from that camp since the fight ended last week) that they are trying to make it seem that GSP was receiving special treatment by the commission.
    You did though, in your little list at the start of the thread you clearly stated this was Diaz' excuse number whatever.... Yes Nate posted this on his FB but no the Diaz camp has not actually said GSP came in over weight.

Diaz Excuse List:

1. Gloves were loaded
    2. Diaz had a tummy ache
    3. Diaz didn't have a proper camp
    4. The media is conspiring against Nick
    5. GSP had inside information
    6. GSP didn't make weight
    7. Devastating 3 hour time change
    8. GSP is on steroids
    9. Toxic plane water
    10. Didn't know when to go to bed
    11. He got lucky
    12. GSP has hometown advantage
    13. GSP hits like a girl
    14. Diaz wasn't allowed to smoke weed
    15. Diaz has never paid taxes

He is single-handedly trying to break Tito and every other Brazilian's excuse record simultaneously.

Just because I don't agree with some of your opinions, doesn't mean I'm not putting thought into what you are saying. You are taking this stuff too personal. Not sure why you are bringing up a "flame war", since I didn't flame you during this discussion. If you are referencing past threads where you tried to be condescending and I pointed out your hypocrisy, well... you brought that on yourself.

I'm not holding a grudge. And neither should you.
    By those comments, I was more meaning it appears you are more trying to make Diaz look stupid (or even more stupid ) and ignoring the point at hand which is the fact the UFC was being shady...

For the last post, you didnt point out nothing, I stop responding cuz you were trying to create some 'red herring' about threads and again not understanding the point I was making.... The point being I was not referring to your thread as being 'not noteworthy', I was talking about Gracies comments... yet you take it upon yourself to show 'un noteworthy threads" I have started. Clearly demonstrating to me you were not actually focused on the point at hand but instead trying to create a flame war.

Anyway you look at it, UFC was being shady. You can argue GSP would have been the honest Canadian boy who would stand up against his dishonest employers but I struggle to agree that would have happened. This is all hypothetical so no point in yapping on about it much longer but I for one would like to see more transparency with the UFC rules and policies.

I get the feeling you feel I am trying to stick up for Diaz and make excuses alongside the Gracie camp. But that is not the case, I am against UFC dishonesty /rule bending which seems to be all to common these days.

http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations
    In championship fights, the participants must weigh no more than that permitted for the relevant weight division.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Typical diaz nuthuggery, turning a blind eye to anything that makes your boy look like the degenerate he is.

Oh, and its course, not coarse. Coarse means rough, as in Coarse grind coffee. You should spend more time paying attention in school instead of drawing hearts with nicks name in them on your books.
    That's like saying "I know you are but what am I", I didn't turn a blind eye to shit. This has nothing to do with Nick Diaz, genius, it has something to do with a shady handling by the athletic commission for the hometown boy. If it ends up being cleared up and it was no big deal, then cool, but in my opinion somebody needs to make an explanation. It's hard to tell exactly what was being explained in the video but it's something unheard of, either way.

You should learn how to do something so simple as capitalizing a last name before you give grammar instructions, lol. Also it's "Nick's", not "nicks". If you weren't daydreaming of being trapped in a desolate location with Les Stroud while you wrote that post, perhaps you wouldn't have made such simple mistakes.
    Last edited by dbader08; 03-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post

Oh, and its course, not coarse. Coarse means rough, as in Coarse grind coffee. You should spend more time paying attention in school instead of drawing hearts with nicks name in them on your books.

I gotta quote that funny mofo blobfish on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Correcting grammar on the interwebs is like telling another guy that his pants' zipper is open; you might be right, but you're still a bit gay for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I gotta quote that funny mofo blobfish on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Correcting grammar on the interwebs is like telling another guy that his pants' zipper is open; you might be right, but you're still a bit gay for caring.
    It's internet, not interwebs. Go back to school!!

Thread Information