+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jon Fitch debuts with WSOF in June, likely against Josh Burkman

Default Jon Fitch debuts with WSOF in June, likely against Josh Burkman

Jon Fitch debuts with WSOF in June, likely against Josh Burkman | News

Jon Fitch was cageside for Saturday's World Series of Fighting 2 event in New Jersey, and promotion president Ray Sefo had an announcement about him.

The question now will be whether Sefo gets his wish – or if Fitch's first opponent will be playing hardball.

Sefo announced Fitch (24-5-1), who recently signed with WSOF after being released by the UFC, will debut with the promotion at WSOF 3 on June 14 in Las Vegas. Sefo made the announcement on the NBC Sports Network telecast of WSOF 2 just before a welterweight bout between Josh Burkman and Aaron Simpson, and he said the winner of that fight would get Fitch.

Burkman (25-9) pulled the upset, knocking Simpson out with a first-round knee. He has won four straight and seven of his past eight since being cut from the UFC in 2008.

But when asked after the fight if he was game for the fight with Fitch that Sefo wanted, Burkman actually cast a little doubt on the matchup.

"I'm going to talk to them about it," Burkman said. "I think I deserve a title shot. I beat (Gerald) Harris, I beat Simpson, and those are two of the best guys outside of the UFC. I think Jon Fitch needs to earn his title shot and then we can talk about it."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I really want to see Fitch/Burkman, Fitch has a lot to prove after getting cut, and I really like the resurgance in Burkmans career he's really starting to show us something.

"I'm going to talk to them about it," Burkman said. "I think I deserve a title shot. I beat (Gerald) Harris, I beat Simpson, and those are two of the best guys outside of the UFC. I think Jon Fitch needs to earn his title shot and then we can talk about it."
    I'm with him on this one. He has won at the first two WSOF events and if they are going to start bringing titles into the picture than he has earned his spot and they shouldn't be putting Jon Fitch into the mix just because he's Jon Fitch.

Give Fitch a fight in the WSOF against someone he hasn't already beaten first.
    Last edited by Fe1; 03-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

whats burkman's contract look like can the ufc scoop him up just to f with the wsof

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I'm with him on this one. He has won at the first two WSOF events and if they are going to start bringing titles into the picture than he has earned his spot and they shouldn't be putting Jon Fitch into the mix just because he's Jon Fitch.

Give Fitch a fight in the WSOF against someone he hasn't already beaten first.
    Lol no... Fitch earned it by being a top ten WW for like the past 5 years. Burkmann is scared. Go watch the first fight and youll know exactly why josh wants jon to earn it.

Just delaying the inevitable Josh.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Lol no... Fitch earned it by being a top ten WW for like the past 5 years. Burkmann is scared. Go watch the first fight and youll know exactly why josh wants jon to earn it.
    So you think Fitch, who has lost 2 of his last 3 fights, and has never competed in WSOF would deserve a title shot against someone who has been looking impressive and is 2-0 in the company? Burkman was impressive as hell last night and I think that if they are going to make a title fight he deserves to be a part of it. As for Josh being scared, 1) I don't think anyone is scared of Jon Fitch. Everyone knows that all he does is take guys down and hold them there. The guy hasn't finised anyone in six years. And 2) They fought seven years ago. If you think that the Josh Burkman from seven years ago is the same as he is today, you're a crazy person.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So you think Fitch, who has lost 2 of his last 3 fights, and has never competed in WSOF would deserve a title shot against someone who has been looking impressive and is 2-0 in the company? Burkman was impressive as hell last night and I think that if they are going to make a title fight he deserves to be a part of it. As for Josh being scared, 1) I don't think anyone is scared of Jon Fitch. Everyone knows that all he does is take guys down and hold them there. The guy hasn't finised anyone in six years. And 2) They fought seven years ago. If you think that the Josh Burkman from seven years ago is the same as he is today, you're a crazy person.
    First of all its not a real title shot... Theyre making up a belt for him and fitch to compete for... Its not like burkmann is in some deep organization with tons of talent and competing for a belt that has tons of history. And second thing, when someoen beats your ass as bad as fitch beat burkmann, they dont earn the right to fight you, yoy earn the right to get a rematch wich now burkmann has earned. Oh and if you think burkmann is so much better then when he fought fitch your clearly putting way too much stock into gerald harris and aaron simpson. Burkmann is still the exact same guy that like two throw big power into single shots. Fitch lost to maia and hendricks. Two top 5 WW in the ufc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information