Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hypoglycemic Diet

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    2 and 3 are myths and have been consistently proven as not true....especially number 3...so I eat a natural diet yet I need to go out and buy "supplements"? I bet you anything that the source is in someway financed by a supplement company.
    this is a topic of controversy for every diet, the paleo diet in particular. another thing to consider is that toxic environment modern humans live in, (looking past the shitty diets most people have, you have to consider the abnormal sleep patterns, air pollution, household toxins like glues and resins in building supplies/carpets, and the offset vitamin d production from so much artificial light and staying up all night). all that considered, certain strong arguments can be made for supplementation. personally, i stay more or less on the paleo diet, avoiding as much sugar and enriched carbs as i can, (though since i'm very active between bjj, weight training and biking everywhere, i'll consume rice and sweet potatoes a good deal). completely ignoring the glycemic index, the toxin and allergen levels of food greatly affect the eater.... so i give those just as much consideration as the macronutrients.

anyway, long story short, the basic pillars of nutrition for me:

about 70% of my diet is veg. i focus on green leafies, with different carbs sources like carrots and winter squashes, and avocado and coconut for fat. for fruit, i consume a lot of grapefruit, but avoid the higher sugar fruits. i also make batches of my own kimchee once a month or so, which act as an inexpensive veg staple for me.

with the exception of rice, i don't consume much if any grain. it sucks that i love beer so much... i miss it, and if i give in at any time, it's usually for a beer.

my biggest protein source is probably free-range eggs, or fish. i eat a lot of tilapia just because i'm pretty poor at the moment... though once i'm better off financially i'll source something better. i'll eat meat often enough, (not quite every day), but can't afford to have a whole buffalo on hand at all times like the paleo guys would suggest.

i avoid sugar, but godammit i need my maple syrup. i use stevia to sweeten things like shakes or hot chocolate.

dairy is something i'm experimenting with. i pretty much stopped drinking milk and consuming cheese, or most any dairy beside grass-fed butter. i'm adding it back into my diet to see how if affects my digestive tract, and perhaps more importantly, cognitive function. if anything can improve my mental performance, that's arguably a better reason to pursue it than stomach health.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I love my mangoes and raspberries. They will not leave my kale shakes. I love how ginger tastes with fruit/greens.

High good fats, moderate protein and only carbs derived from fruit and veg works best for me.
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

while we're on it, i have an obsession with almond milk. it makes for great shakes and such, but doesn't really have the dissolving properties of normal milk in coffee or tea. what milk substitutes (if any) do you guys prefer?
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I use about an ounce of coconut milk in my smoothies/shakes with iso-whey, ice and vanilla extract.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    while we're on it, i have an obsession with almond milk. it makes for great shakes and such, but doesn't really have the dissolving properties of normal milk in coffee or tea. what milk substitutes (if any) do you guys prefer?
    Definitely coconut or hemp milk w/ stevia -- a drop vanilla extract isn't such a bad idea for coffee.

I use almond milk because I make it at home lol

Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    Good food translates to fried chicken and grits? If someone is that fucking stupid they should have died long ago if not for societal constructs.

Meat/Veggies all day nothing else. Common sense brah
    What if my meat comes from Subway or Burger King? Dude I have clients that if I say "veggies and meat" that's what they will/would say/think lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    What if my meat comes from Subway or Burger King? Dude I have clients that if I say "veggies and meat" that's what they will/would say/think lol.
    Don't forget donairs.

Yum!

lmao...there are 3 food items that bug me out; ho-hos (because I have a friend named John Hohos and it's hysterical), funions because the name is so disgusting and twinkies or anything made by hostess really, all are gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    this is a topic of controversy for every diet, the paleo diet in particular. another thing to consider is that toxic environment modern humans live in, (looking past the shitty diets most people have, you have to consider the abnormal sleep patterns, air pollution, household toxins like glues and resins in building supplies/carpets, and the offset vitamin d production from so much artificial light and staying up all night). all that considered, certain strong arguments can be made for supplementation. personally, i stay more or less on the paleo diet, avoiding as much sugar and enriched carbs as i can, (though since i'm very active between bjj, weight training and biking everywhere, i'll consume rice and sweet potatoes a good deal). completely ignoring the glycemic index, the toxin and allergen levels of food greatly affect the eater.... so i give those just as much consideration as the macronutrients.

anyway, long story short, the basic pillars of nutrition for me:

about 70% of my diet is veg. i focus on green leafies, with different carbs sources like carrots and winter squashes, and avocado and coconut for fat. for fruit, i consume a lot of grapefruit, but avoid the higher sugar fruits. i also make batches of my own kimchee once a month or so, which act as an inexpensive veg staple for me.

with the exception of rice, i don't consume much if any grain. it sucks that i love beer so much... i miss it, and if i give in at any time, it's usually for a beer.

my biggest protein source is probably free-range eggs, or fish. i eat a lot of tilapia just because i'm pretty poor at the moment... though once i'm better off financially i'll source something better. i'll eat meat often enough, (not quite every day), but can't afford to have a whole buffalo on hand at all times like the paleo guys would suggest.

i avoid sugar, but godammit i need my maple syrup. i use stevia to sweeten things like shakes or hot chocolate.

dairy is something i'm experimenting with. i pretty much stopped drinking milk and consuming cheese, or most any dairy beside grass-fed butter. i'm adding it back into my diet to see how if affects my digestive tract, and perhaps more importantly, cognitive function. if anything can improve my mental performance, that's arguably a better reason to pursue it than stomach health.
    great second part with which I won't argue. Except if you're including dairy try to obtain some raw dairy. there's a PA farm that now "illegally" sells/delivers to NYC raw goat and cow dairy so I am excited to try some kefir from them even though I eat mostly plant-based.

As far as the first; instead of supplementing a lot of that stuff I urge my clients to slowly shift away from that stuff. So, if a client I've been working on with for, say, a year then I could mention that hey instead if windex why don't you take some orange/mandarine/tangerine/clementine skins and soak them in lemon/vinegar water for a day and viola, organic/all natural all purpose cleaner....You're right about the environmental toxins for sure.

Thread Information