Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TKZ to GSP: Rising sun on walkout gi is symbol of war crimes

Clump me in with the rest of the ignorant people. Well, at least I know about it now. Also, I had no idk what tkz stood for before i clicked on this link.

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    I think we all know that GSP didn't mean anything by the gi. With that being said, you need to have some clue about what stuff means before you just throw it on because it looks good....aka, many chinese tattoos that every Tom, Dick, and Harry have on their bodies nowadays. Even GSP should do a little research
    Sums it up for me right here. ^

Funny shit about the asian symbol tattoos, makes me think of Brian Redban.

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    I remember Jordan Brand got in trouble for this for having the "rising Sun" on the insoles of one of thier shoes and were forced to remove them all and put in blank ones...
    Who made Brand change the shoes? If it was a UFC staff, you would have thought someone would have caught it.

GSP clearly meant no disrespect and I am sure will now be more aware of what he is wearing to preform infront of thousands of people. Good on the TKZ for bringing it up respectfully and not flipped out about it.

Maybe it was a jab at Ben Henderson for saying he wants a piece of GSP
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikazi42 View Post
    I first saw this article on the other MMA website and saw that a majority of the responses were "who cares" and "asians are too sensitive."

Let me try to put this into perspective. Some Americans feel offended when people display a Confederate flag. This is understandable as the Confederate flag could represent a fractured US or support for the old southern way of life (i.e. slavery). It's a disservice to the many men whom sacrificed their lives to preserve the US, its ideals, and culture.

The Japanese rising sun flag is not a national flag and is flown by the Japanese military who forcibly occupied regions in East and Southeast Asia before World War 2. This flag was flown during this occupation in which many atrocities occurred that included rape, torture, and mass murders. To this day, Japanese officials continue to deny it ever occurring. It is understandable why many Asians would find this flag highly offensive as it represents Japanese nationalism at the expense of other countries.
    This is great. You should post more.

Also, some have compared the rising sun flag to the Nazi swastika. And some have mentioned there are swastikas all over China, Korea and other Asian regions so Asians are being hypocritical. Those "swastikas" are actually Buddhist symbols that were around many years before the Nazis adopted it as their own. The Nazis actually took the Buddhist symbol and inverted it, so the symbols are not the same... though it could easily be over-looked.
    There have been versions of the swastika in major religions on every continent but Antarctica. But the nazi's didn't co-opt the Hindu symbol, it was present in Germanic traditions from Scythian pre-history. I've heard a lecture where it was described--in Nordic tradition--as the roots of the tree Yggdrasil, each quadrant seperating the elemental realms of earth, air, fire and water.

Regardless, it was present in the culture before the Nazi's, but they irrevocably changed it's meaning. A similar co-option occurred with the statement "Arbeit Macht Frei" that was lettered over the gates to Auschwitz. The statement loosely translates to "Work will set us free" and was an established axiom in Germanic culture, similar to Franklin's "There are no gains without pains." or "Diligence is the mother of good luck." However, it's meaning has been forever changed by the Nazi's use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    and what is that arrow pointing at...? never herd of this until you posted it
    That's a direct repop of the SS death's head from Nazi Uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Even GSP should do a little research
    Everyone should. It's part of the responsibility of being sponsored and thus a role model.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Sums it up for me right here. ^

Funny shit about the asian symbol tattoos, makes me think of Brian Redban.

Who made Brand change the shoes? If it was a UFC staff, you would have thought someone would have caught it.

GSP clearly meant no disrespect and I am sure will now be more aware of what he is wearing to preform infront of thousands of people. Good on the TKZ for bringing it up respectfully and not flipped out about it.

Maybe it was a jab at Ben Henderson for saying he wants a piece of GSP
    if i remember correct jordan brand did it on their own to prevent furthur backlash

Hayabusa just posted this on facebook:
    Since Georges St-Pierre wore our walkout gi at UFC 158 we have received attention surrounding the negative connotation of the rising sun graphic used. The last thing we want is to offend or alienate anyone with the choice of design on our products.

We at Hayabusa have the utmost respect for culture and history and appreciate all of our customers worldwide. As such, we accept full responsibility for this design and are taking all complaints and comments very seriously.

The gi worn by GSP will not be brought to market. In addition, we will be very conscious of this specific design element when developing future communication materials and products.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any offence this has caused. If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us at customerservice@hayabusafightwear.com. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Craig Clement
    Co-President
    Hayabusa Fightwear Inc.
    And GSP posted this in response to it
    I'd like to also personally apologize to anyone who was offended by this. I am very sorry, that was never my intention.
    https://www.facebook.com/georgesstpierre

6. Default

cudos to Hayabusa and GSP for owning up right away, and getting out in front of a problem, rather then looking for anyone/anywhere else to lay blame first.

Rivethead,
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't quite sure how Nazis got hold of the symbol unless there were Buddhist/Hindu Nazis... so that clears that up.

I am sure the Korean Zombie's message was not meant to bash GSP or Japanese people. Every person/society/culture has dark aspects. Rather than ignore them, I think it's better to recognize and learn from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Express View Post
    Hayabusa just posted this on facebook:

And GSP posted this in response to it

https://www.facebook.com/georgesstpierre
    Way to man up by Hayabusa and GSP.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information