+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Askren offers takedown challenge to GSP, White

Default Askren offers takedown challenge to GSP, White

Askren offers takedown challenge to GSP, White - Mixed Martial Arts News

Askren's blunt critiques on Twitter have prompted a swarm of responses from St-Pierre fans. Few are complimentary, but the 28-year-old laughs it off.

"I don't event read them," he said. "I scroll though them. But I've got so much harassment from GSP supporters this past week that it's hilarious."

Askren even issued a challenge to UFC President Dana White. He said at the next UFC Fan Expo, he wants to wrestle St-Pierre for $1,000 per takedown. He was even willing to give White, a known gambler, 3-to-1 odds. He got no response. ("Maybe I'll make him another offer – 5-to-1. Maybe he'll think that's fair," Askren joked.)

"I think obviously if we fought, I'd create scrambles I'd win," he said. "And the other thing we saw – and I know (trainer) Firas Zahabi is making excuses – he got tired. He got really tired in the third, fourth and fifth round against Nick Diaz. But Diaz just doesn't have the power to put GSP on his butt or put pressure on him.

"Nick Diaz just didn't have the skill set he needed to beat him. I do"
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Riiiiiiight.....

Everyone who ever fights GSP has "the skill set to beat him." Everyone thinks they do until they're in the cage with him. GSP shuts down peoples game plans better than anyone else and this would be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

In an acutal takedown challenge with no punches or kicks allowed, Askren MURDERS GSP and it is not even close. Any one that thinks otherwise just does not understand the difference between wrestling takedowns and mma takedowns.

GSP from a straight wrestling stand point does a lot of little things "wrong." They work in MMA because guys are worried about getting punch or kicked, on a wrestling mat they would lead to easy points of the other guy. A perfect example is that high profile throw against Hughes. Hughes hands where out of position because he was worried about getting punched in the face. In a wrestling match, Hughes would have locked them up and when GSP stepped forward he would have shucked him for an easy two points or slammed him backwards. Takedowns that work in MMA don't alway work at high levels of wrestling.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    In an acutal takedown challenge with no punches or kicks allowed, Askren MURDERS GSP and it is not even close. Any one that thinks otherwise just does not understand the difference between wrestling takedowns and mma takedowns.

GSP from a straight wrestling stand point does a lot of little things "wrong." They work in MMA because guys are worried about getting punch or kicked, on a wrestling mat they would lead to easy points of the other guy. A perfect example is that high profile throw against Hughes. Hughes hands where out of position because he was worried about getting punched in the face. In a wrestling match, Hughes would have locked them up and when GSP stepped forward he would have shucked him for an easy two points or slammed him backwards. Takedowns that work in MMA don't alway work at high levels of wrestling.
    This.

GSP has the best MMA wrestling in the WW division. But there are countless number of WW who would outwrestle GSP in straight wrestling. Askren has Olympic level wrestling experience. He would have his way with GSP on the mat.

I for one think it's a terrific idea and would tend to agree with Masscore and Askren.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Okay i get it, Askren needs the money and is confident, but Dana and GSP are loaded compared to him and have more important things to do. I think the "takedown" challenge would be pretty useless in proving a point if there was no striking allowed. What would anyone learn about their respective mma games if it was a pure wrestling match? GSP himself would humbly admit that he is not a better amatuer wrestler than someone with Olympic experience. He always says he trains with guys that are better than him. Im sure he respects the wrestlers that he has learned from in the past. Askren should show some respect in the direction of GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Everyone who ever fights GSP has "the skill set to beat him." Everyone thinks they do until they're in the cage with him. GSP shuts down peoples game plans better than anyone else and this would be no different.
    Samething is said about Silva but that doesn't make either unbeatable. Maybe GSP is just one Hendricks away from getting smoked who knows.

If anything I would be more concerned with Askren's ability to strike with GSP.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

9. Default

Many may not like DW but he understands GSP's tatlents MMA wrestling not points wrestling. So any odds DW isn't going to bite, but add in the jabs, kicks, and elbows I bet he'll bite just get yourself {Askren} out of your current contract. Also get GSP to say yes.lol.

In a straight takedown competition askren would destroy gsp

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information