Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz's camp to file complaint over Georges St-Pierre's UFC 158 drug test

Default Nick Diaz's camp to file complaint over Georges St-Pierre's UFC 158 drug test

To say Nick Diaz's camp is not happy with Quebec's athletic commission would be an understatement.

On Tuesday, a commission representative told MMAFighting.com that their weigh-in rules in place for Georges St-Pierre's UFC 158 welterweight title defense against Diaz at the Bell Centre, in which championship fighters can weigh up to 0.9 pounds above the 170-pound weight limit but still be recorded as 170, have been consistently applied.

But not only is Diaz's camp unimpressed with the response, they're also making an explosive claim that the commission failed to properly supervise St-Pierre's post-fight drug test.

"The Quebec Commission's statement is a disappointing admission that the March 16 event was not conducted under the rules applicable to a UFC title fight - or under the rules the fighters contractually agreed to, upon which rules Mr. Diaz was entitled to rely under his bout agreement," stated Jonathan Tweedale, a Diaz camp representative.

Later in a lengthy statement, the Diaz camp claimed it will file an official complaint regarding the administration of St-Pierre's drug test.

"Further serious irregularities including, inter alia, the Quebec Commission's failure to supervise fighters' provision of samples in connection with testing for Prohibited Substances and Prohibited Methods (under sections 71.1 to 71.6 of the Regulation), will be set out in an official complaint that will be filed imminently," the Diaz camp stated.

In an email with MMAFighting, Tweedale went on to make their case that the commission's rules circumvented the bout agreement entered into by the fighters.

"Section 168 of the Regulation respecting combat sports provides that the maximum weight that a fighter must achieve at the official weigh-in shall be determined in advance by contract - and if the fighter does not make the contracted weight - in this case 170 pounds - then 20% of his purse or "the contestant's remuneration" will be deducted and paid to his opponent (subsections (7) and (8)). The contracted weight for this fight was 170 pounds. 170.9 is not 170, anywhere in the world, for a title fight. There is no question what "170 pounds" means, in the bout agreement, as a matter of contractual interpretation.

"The Quebec Commission deliberately relaxed the rule in this case and, by its own admission, allowed their home-town fighter to 'make weight' even if he weighed more than the contracted weight."

The UFC has held six events in Quebec since 2008. While fighters at the first event, UFC 83, had their weights rounded off to the nearest half-pound, decimals have not been used in weights for the five events held in Montreal since, all of which have been headlined by championship fights.

Still, the Diaz camp sees Quebec's weight rules as their case for a rematch for the Stockton, Calif. fighter, who lost to St-Pierre at UFC 158 on across-the-board scores of 50-45.

"In the circumstances, Mr. St-Pierre remains legally and ethically obligated to fight Mr. Diaz at 170 pounds or else vacate the belt in favor of those prepared to fight at welterweight."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26...ierres-ufc-158

This is getting ridiculous.

"In the circumstances, Mr. St-Pierre remains legally and ethically obligated to fight Mr. Diaz at 170 pounds or else vacate the belt in favor of those prepared to fight at welterweight."

2. Default

The guy who has failed three drug tests, skipped out on another one, no-shows media obligations, and throws cheap shots between rounds is complaining that someone is not following the rules???
    ------------------

Missed you posted this.

Dana must be pulling his hair out, if he had any.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Missed you posted this.

Dana must be pulling his hair out, if he had any.
    I would just cut him. Hes lost back to back fights and had a one year suspension for a SECOND failed drug test inside the UFC. Let him go to pro boxing or anywhere else Nick says hes going to. I mean he did say he was "done with mma" so why not cut him? Saves the UFC from paying the rest of his contract as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I would just cut him. Hes lost back to back fights and had a one year suspension for a SECOND failed drug test inside the UFC. Let him go to pro boxing or anywhere else Nick says hes going to. I mean he did say he was "done with mma" so why not cut him? Saves the UFC from paying the rest of his contract as well.
    Am I brain farting on something here?

SECOND failed drug test inside the UFC
    Did he fail his 158 drug test? Or do you mean failed his second drug test (143) and was employed by the UFC at the time?

Hasnt Nick only failed two drug tests to date... Pride - Gomi and UFC - Condit?

Even with this new drama, I dont think the UFC will cut him. Diaz is a cash cow and a polarizing figure. Look at all the drama caused in the mma media and on these boards whenever he fights.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Everytime someone from the Cesar Gracie camp opens their mouth, a moron gets their wings.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    The guy who has failed three drug tests, skipped out on another one, no-shows media obligations, and throws cheap shots between rounds is complaining that someone is not following the rules???
    People like Diaz are always the victim. They are never at fault.

If they were to fight again, I think it would go waaaaaaaay worse for Diaz. GSP would refine his gameplan, whereas Diaz would change absolutely nothing.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Am I brain farting on something here?

Did he fail his 158 drug test? Or do you mean failed his second drug test (143) and was employed by the UFC at the time?

Hasnt Nick only failed two drug tests to date... Pride - Gomi and UFC - Condit?

Even with this new drama, I dont think the UFC will cut him. Diaz is a cash cow and a polarizing figure. Look at all the drama caused in the mma media and on these boards whenever he fights.
    Yes second overall, i should have worded that in a better way. I dont actually think the UFC would cut him, but the headache that comes along with Nick Diaz is not worth the price they pay him. Not only is he screwing with GSP he is also screwing with the UFC as a brand for "allowing this to happen" (quote un quote).

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    You forgot the part where he has said twice now that he's done with MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Oh my god, can they just can this idiot already? He's probably worse for the company than any other individual fighter has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information