Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gegard Mousasi: Im the underdog, but I dont care.

Default Gegard Mousasi: Im the underdog, but I dont care.

Gegard Mousasi:

Two fighters of essentially the same age enter a room. The first holds a record of 15-1 with six straight wins, twelve stoppages, and a past win over Mauricio Rua. The second is 33-3-2 with 29 finishes, a single loss in his last 22 fights, and notches on his belt including the names of Ronaldo Souza and Mark Hunt. However, given their similar excellence, one is considered a distinct favorite.

While working out odds-makers logic on the matter, the competitors in question are clearly Alexander Gustafsson and Gegard Mousasi in relation to their April 6 headliner at UFC on Fuel 9. And, though Gustafsson seems to be the popular pick when it comes to the likely winner, Mousasi plans on showing people why the smart money is on him when the two scrap in Stockholm.

Im the underdog, but I dont care. Its a fight, said Mousasi to MMAJunkie in his standard calm, collected manner.

Of course, hes fought a lot more in the UFC, so hes the favorite. I understand that. I hope (people are overlooking me). They dont expect anything for me, so I cannot disappoint anybody, he continued. I like this position much better. I dont have any pressure.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I have this fight even going in, but if I had to choose a favorite I would say Gegard has the better stand up and will win.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I have this fight even going in, but if I had to choose a favorite I would say Gegard has the better stand up and will win.
    I think Goose takes a decision. Probably not a rout, probably not too exciting, but fairly convincingly.

I just think he's got the skills and size to dictate where the fight goes. Goose has a fairly substantial reach advantage.

If Goose takes Mousasi down and Mousasi can't secure a sub from his back, then Mousasi loses the round, because an active guard doesn't score any points.

See: Every fight ever.

I think Mousasi's best chance to win is by decision, with Cecil Peoples, Adelaide Byrd and Nelson Hamilton scoring the fight.

4. Default

Gegard ends the hype on Goose. The Goose gets burnt this time.

Gegard KO RD 2
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    I think Goose takes a decision. Probably not a rout, probably not too exciting, but fairly convincingly.

I just think he's got the skills and size to dictate where the fight goes. Goose has a fairly substantial reach advantage.

If Goose takes Mousasi down and Mousasi can't secure a sub from his back, then Mousasi loses the round, because an active guard doesn't score any points.

I think Mousasi's best chance to win is by decision, with Cecil Peoples, Adelaide Byrd and Nelson Hamilton scoring the fight.
    I could see that, the only thing I would add is Gegard seems to be the better of the two at gauging distance.

If anyone is counting Mousasi out, then they are crazy. He has been one of the most talented fighters for many years now, and other than King Mo exposing his wrestling and the draw with Jardine, he has shown he is one of the best and he has been for awhile now..Now he can prove it. First rd KO Mousasi. His striking credentials and bottom game will make the difference.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Tough fight for me to call, though I think I'll go with Gustaffson.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    because an active guard doesn't score any points.

Last night on TUF judges seemed have finally recognized what is known to many as an active guard. DW flipped with excitement about the scoring which lead to a 3rd round. Hopefully this is a small sign of changes to come. You can dream can't you?

Mousasi is going to make foie gras.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Goose is going to beat him all the way back down to the minor leagues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I'm taking Mousasi. I've bought into him for years and I think Goose is going to get picked apart on the feet if he fights like he has the past few fights. Mousasi has excellent striking technique and extremely competent submissions, but he's going to be quite undersized here, but worst case scenario, he gets convinced to cut back down to MW, where he's more appropriately sized.

I'll be curious if there was any camp drama from Goose with the whole Lloyd Irvin drama. Cardio has always been an issue for Mousasi, so I'm thinking Goose is the favourite, but I think there's a good chance for Mousasi to take him out.

Thread Information