Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Hendricks wants Georges St-Pierre UFC title fight in September

Default Johnny Hendricks wants Georges St-Pierre UFC title fight in September

Johnny Hendricks wants Georges St-Pierre UFC title fight in September | News

It looks like Johny Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) agree on a timeframe for their meeting.

Hendricks on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio) that he anticipates fighting St-Pierre in September, which falls in line with an update earlier today from the welterweight kingpin's camp. St-Pierre's manager dispelled reports of an extended layoff due to an Achilles tendon injury and said fans could expect to see "Rush" return to the cage in late summer or early fall.

With ample time to prepare, Hendricks said he'll focus on shoring up weaknesses that were exposed in his UFC 158 fight with Carlos Condit, which ended in a unanimous decision win.

"I've got a lot of things to improve on, which is good to know," Hendricks said. "What I'm going to do for the next month and a half is I'm going to work on exactly what I need to work on to get better."

The good news, he said, is that no one is in front of him to fight the champ. St-Pierre removed a final obstacle by beating Nick Diaz in the headliner of the March 16 pay-per-view event at Montreal's Bell Centre. Diaz stepped ahead of Hendricks despite losing a previous fight to Condit.

Hendricks, who previously had beaten five straight opponents, staged a brief protest when the UFC installed Diaz and then accepted his fate. He then decided he would make it impossible for St-Pierre to evade him by beating the former interim champ.

"I just don't see anybody else stepping in front of me, and that's really what it boils down to," Hendricks said. "That's why a win over Condit has been so good, to know that this week I'm not getting a call or seeing on Twitter that somebody else is getting the fight. I know it's me."

Condit certainly didn't make it easy. A late-fight surge pushed Hendricks to his limit and forced him to fall back on his wrestling skills. The crowd at the Bell Centre backed Condit and booed the decision.

Despite his win, Hendricks wasn't so sure he'd convinced the UFC he was the next man in line to fight St-Pierre. So uncharacteristically, he offered a direct challenge to St-Pierre, saying he would come to the champ's house to fight if his title opportunity was again denied.

"I knew that if I didn't do something to make sure that I got that fight, if somebody overstepped me, I'd be devastated," Hendricks said. "So throwing that out there, I thought it wasn't over my boundaries, but it was still good enough to say, 'Hey, this is what's going to happen.' So it's in between the nice guy and over-the-top trash talk."

2. Default

So it's face Condit and get a shot at GSP worked for Daiz and he even forgot to win too.lol.

3. Default

Lets hope GSP's movie dont get in the way of his fighting career.

or

GSP could fight Hendricks and Jake E and/or Maia and forget the movie

or

He will do the movie and duck Hendricks again

ethier way GSP is starting to piss me off
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

^^^ This guy, lol. "Duck Hendricks"

GSP will smack Hendricks around and dominate him like he does everyone else. Hendricks is great, and it will be an unreal fight..But, we all know what will happen.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

That sounds about right from Hendricks. I'm not a fan of his by any means, but I think he's going about this in exactly the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    ^^^ This guy, lol. "Duck Hendricks"
    ...he's already ducked Hendricks. This is an opportunity for him to step up and not do it again.

GSP will smack Hendricks around and dominate him like he does everyone else. Hendricks is great, and it will be an unreal fight..But, we all know what will happen.
    What, that Georges will fight incredibly safe and his fanboys will call it utter domination?

Yeah, that about captures it in a nutshell.

that is, if he fights him. And sadly, his decision to face Diaz instead of Hendricks allows for the jury to still be out in that regard. Georges is in the unenviable position of having to re-earn credibility.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    What, that Georges will fight incredibly safe and his fanboys will call it utter domination?
    No, GSP will fight an incredibly strategic and smart gameplan that will nullify Hendricks` strengths and gameplan and will expose the holes in the rest of his game. We will call in domination because GSP will spend 95% of the fight doing exactly what he wants to do. Do you think Penn/Diaz/Condit wanted to spend the fight defending takedowns/being taken down/being hit with strikes while on the ground? Did you think Fitch/Kos/Shields wanted to spend the fight trading strikes with GSP?

I don't think the loss of credibility with the Diaz fight is as great as you are implying. Diaz was still a credible, top 5 opponent. It wasn't like he was fighting Patrick Cote for the MW title or Chael Sonnen for the LHW title. IMO, Diaz was a more dangerous opponent to GSP than Hendricks will be. I see at as only a minute, barely measurable loss in credibility if any. He had the chance to fight a guy he had wanted to fight for a few years and took it. GSP will fight Hendricks in the fall, beat him, and we can all go back to downplaying the credibility of GSPs opponents and someone can post a GIF of the first Serra fight. Balance will be restored to the force.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

I'm a GSP fan and all but I would never call "utter dominance." He shuts down other guys game plan and implements his own. Plain and simple. With that said, I'll be surprised if he's able to shut down Johny's. I'm predicting another impressive Big Rig KO.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

8. Default

We've heard GSP's trainner say not sure how long GSP wants to train as hard and have no life. He's passed Johnny to fight Daiz I believe a easier fight at least to train for. I see Johnny as a bad match up were GSP fears he will come forward with looping punch that can get inside wrestle or strike with him. That reminds him of the Serra fight. GSP has a legacy of being such a great wrestler even mentioned with the olympic tryouts.
    GSP has always been a safe fighter, but fights he's won 50-45 he's taken abuse were he's been to the hospital afterwards. The Daiz, BJ come to mind were he's won but physically looked like the loser. He is making the the $$$$ with his sponsers to easily retire. I see the disire leaving him, but smart enough not to take any large risks on ending his career on top. It's a cold day theory anyhow.

I think Hendricks lost all credibility after ducking Ellenberger to fight a guy coming off a loss just because he had a bigger name.

I don't really think Hendricks lost credibility also wouldn't say he ducked Ellenberger. I just think that the term duck is used a little too loosely around here from time to time.

Agree that saying GSP dominates someone is quite the exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Thread Information