Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnny Hendricks wants Georges St-Pierre UFC title fight in September

rob_bills Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    What, that Georges will fight incredibly safe and his fanboys will call it utter domination?
    ^This. I said it after the fight and I'll say it again, George said he would give GSP the worst beating of his career. He didn't do that, as a matter of fact his face looked worse than Diaz.. and we all know how bad Diaz usually looks after a fight.

GSP could shit on a plate and call it caviare and half the people on here would lap it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    No, GSP will fight an incredibly strategic and smart gameplan that will nullify Hendricks` strengths and gameplan and will expose the holes in the rest of his game. We will call in domination because GSP will spend 95% of the fight doing exactly what he wants to do. Do you think Penn/Diaz/Condit wanted to spend the fight defending takedowns/being taken down/being hit with strikes while on the ground? Did you think Fitch/Kos/Shields wanted to spend the fight trading strikes with GSP?

I don't think the loss of credibility with the Diaz fight is as great as you are implying. Diaz was still a credible, top 5 opponent. It wasn't like he was fighting Patrick Cote for the MW title or Chael Sonnen for the LHW title. IMO, Diaz was a more dangerous opponent to GSP than Hendricks will be. I see at as only a minute, barely measurable loss in credibility if any. He had the chance to fight a guy he had wanted to fight for a few years and took it. GSP will fight Hendricks in the fall, beat him, and we can all go back to downplaying the credibility of GSPs opponents and someone can post a GIF of the first Serra fight. Balance will be restored to the force.
    While I believe everything you have said was spot on, I have to disagree with the highlighted statement in bold.

Who has Diaz even beaten to deserve a top 5 ranking? The man has NEVER beaten anyone inside the top 10 of the WW division, yet he is considered a top 5 WW?

Hendricks last 4 opponents beaten were inside the top 10 of the division, and 2 (Fitch, Condit) were top 5 when he beat them. A case could be made for Kampmann as a top 5 as well, where as Kos was a solid Top 8 WW. This is a resume for a credible top 5 opponent.

Diaz last 5 opponents prior to Condit were 2 LW (Penn, Noons), Cris Cyborg's husband, Sakurai, Zaromskis, the last 3 being outside of the top 25 of the WW division.

Even Bisping has a better case for being a top 5 MW, than Diaz has for a WW lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    I don't think the loss of credibility with the Diaz fight is as great as you are implying.
    Yeah. Show me one GSP fanboy who does.

Diaz was still a credible, top 5 opponent. It wasn't like he was fighting Patrick Cote for the MW title or Chael Sonnen for the LHW title.
    Pointing out something more egregious doesn't diminish the problem, it just uses false normalization as an excuse.

Hendricks was the #1 contender. He was available and healthy, actually fighting on the same card. Georges chose to fight someone else. That is the very definition of ducking.

IMO, Diaz was a more dangerous opponent to GSP than Hendricks will be.
    None of that matters. Hendricks was the #1 contender. Diaz was not. Georges chose to duck the #1 contender, whether it turns out that it was an easier fight or not.

I'll tell you this: if Hendricks does manage to pull off an upset and beat Georges, it will be a much bigger deal in the mainstream media.

I see at as only a minute, barely measurable loss in credibility if any.
    We've already established that your perspective as a huge fan of Georges skews your opinion.

I like Georges. I think he's a great fighter with a consumate skill set, he's polite and arguably the best ambassador the sport currently has. I'm not hating on him at all.

But he lost credibility here. The fact that there is any question--however minute--as to whether he'll face Hendricks or not is putting him closer to the Anderson Silva diva/flake category than he's ever been in his career.

He had the chance to fight a guy he had wanted to fight for a few years and took it.
    Yeah. About that.

Champions should fight the guy who earned the title shot, not someone coming off a loss and a suspension simply because they said some really mean things about him.

GSP will fight Hendricks in the fall, beat him,
    I sincerly hope so. I'm not a Hendricks fan at all, and don't want to see him as champion.

and we can all go back to downplaying the credibility of GSPs opponents and someone can post a GIF of the first Serra fight.
    I'm not someone who does any of those things. I've stated for years the quality of Georges' opponents far outstrips the quality of Anderson's.

I'm a fan of Georges...but I'm a fan of MMA and credibility more.

Balance will be restored to the force.
    I don't think that simply facing Hendricks now erases the choice Georges already made to duck him. You can, because you don't see it as a crediblity issue. I think a win over Hendricks will do a lot to make things better, but Georges was damn lucky Hendricks got past Condit and gave him the opportunity to try to repair some damage to his integrity.

If Georges chooses to film this movie instead of facing Hendricks, it's going to go poorly for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Diaz last 5 opponents prior to Condit were 2 LW (Penn, Noons), Cris Cyborg's husband, Sakurai, Zaromskis, the last 3 being outside of the top 25 of the WW division.

I'm not defending GSP ducking Hendricks to face Diaz at all, but I had Zaromiskis as top 20 when Nick beat him--some sites had him as high as 15--and you left off his highest ranked opponent in Paul Daley. Daley was considered top 10 on many sites when Nick knocked him out.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 03-27-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: missed a response
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'm not defending GSP ducking Hendricks to face Diaz at all, but I had Zaromiskis as top 20 when Nick beat him--some sites had him as high as 15--and you left off his highest ranked opponent in Paul Daley. Daley was considered top 10 on many sites when Nick knocked him out.

rh
    Just checked. Zaromskis had just won the Dream WW tourney and faced Nick, so yea I guess you could place him in the 15-20 range. Paul Daley was the name I didnt mention, and yes he was considered a Top 10 on some sites, but he was coming off wins against Yuya Shirai for the Bamma title, Scott Smith, and a LW in Masvidal, a fight which Daley missed weight, all this after losing to Koscheck.

I wasn't arguing Nick Diaz being a top 10 WW, I think he was right there on that 9-10 spot after beating Daley. I'm just baffled by many sites, including the UFC, and people on this board who honestly believed Diaz to be a legitimate top 5 WW.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    ^^^ This guy, lol. "Duck Hendricks"

GSP will smack Hendricks around and dominate him like he does everyone else. Hendricks is great, and it will be an unreal fight..But, we all know what will happen.
    brother take no offense cause im a fellow atlantic Canadan, as well as a GSP fan, but Hendrix is a different animal and Georges isn't stupid. He knew Nick didnt bring anything new to the table. He saw it in the condit fight. Hendrix is a wrecking ball. I euqate it to Rocky 3 when Mikey doesnt want him fighting Clubber Lang. Its a different kind of beast. Big rig is hungry right now.
    I'd love to see GSP retire with the strap, but unless he gets off of the "safe" train i dont think its gonna happen. I was front row in MTL and for the Big Rig/Kampmann fight, and i cannot stress this enough...This is a different animal than Georges has seen in a while.

Good Luck Georges me and my kids will be pushing for you cause you're gonna need a little bit this time.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

6. Default

Nutgug much bro? Hendricks is a huge threat...and yes GSP took an easier fight than Hendrick when he fought Nick (for a bigger payday) and I dont hate GSP at all

brother take no offense cause im a fellow atlantic Canadan, as well as a GSP fan, but Hendrix is a different animal and Georges isn't stupid. He knew Nick didnt bring anything new to the table. He saw it in the condit fight. Hendrix is a wrecking ball. I euqate it to Rocky 3 when Mikey doesnt want him fighting Clubber Lang. Its a different kind of beast. Big rig is hungry right now.
    I'd love to see GSP retire with the strap, but unless he gets off of the "safe" train i dont think its gonna happen. I was front row in MTL and for the Big Rig/Kampmann fight, and i cannot stress this enough...This is a different animal than Georges has seen in a while.

Good Luck Georges me and my kids will be pushing for you cause you're gonna need a little bit this time.

H.
    ^^^^TRUE
    Last edited by TBEAR; 03-27-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

This won't be a very hard fight for GSP in my opinion.

Story took Hendricks down pretty easily. Well, GSP has much better striking than him and a much quicker shot. Hendricks will have a chance in the 1st couple rounds but I highly doubt he gets the KO. 50-45 or 49-46 UD at worst for GSP.

Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior
    I don't think the loss of credibility with the Diaz fight is as great as you are implying.
    Yeah. Show me one GSP fanboy who does.

rh

Uh me? I have been annoyed with this since they first talked about it. I have lost a whole lot of respect for St. Pierre with regards to this fiasco. Now that means a lot to me because I had the world of respect for him but now not so much.

However more on topic, there is no question at all the Johnny deserves this fight even more. I question a bit the decision with Condit but history says he won so yea...Hendricks is next challenge clearly unless something happens to Hendricks or St Pierre in training camp.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    So it's face Condit and get a shot at GSP worked for Daiz and he even forgot to win too.lol.
    Ahhh but GSP called out Diaz, He damn near begged for that grudge match.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

10. Default

GSP may have a new weapon with so many hanging on his nuts he may be able to swing them and take out his opponetts knee's. GSP has been great for the sport, and if he can beat Johnny isn't one of the questions. Giving Johnny his shot is the question, Anything other than that will tarnish his career more.

Thread Information