Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen tougher than people think

Hybrid View

Default Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen tougher than people think

Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen tougher than people think
    Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen tougher than people think - Mixed Martial Arts News

Chael Sonnen may have talked his way into a lightheavyweight title bout, but Jon Jones' coach admits that Sonnen is a tough fight and they are taking him seriously:

There are a lot of danger zones with Chael. Chael is tougher than a lot of people give him credit for. When we didn't want to fight him on three days notice or whatever, we'd never fight anybody on such short notice for somebody at Jon Jones level. People think he doesn't have any punching power, but then you see him drop Anderson Silva. Once he gets on top of you, it's trouble, and a lot of guys can't seem to get around that ground and pound style, so if you don't do things correctly with him, you get in trouble real quick.

We have to make sure we take him very seriously. He's a very tough opponent and he's very smart. He's going to try to negate the length and push the fight forward, and we have to be ready for that. We have to be ready for a 25 minute, all out war. He's going to try to wear Jon down with his cardio. We have to be ready for all of those eventualities to make sure that Jon is on point and ready and can execute his gameplan. It's not going to be an easy fight.

Chael Sonnen: 'I'm the best MMA wrestler in the world'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-in-the-world/

"He's never been in there with a gangster before," said Chael Sonnen of Jon Jones ahead of their showdown at UFC 159 on April 27, 2013. "He's been in there with a bunch of little boys that were scared of him."

"I'm the best MMA wrestler in the world. I can take Jon Jones down anytime I want to. I'm a two-time National Champion, I got a silver medal from the World Championships - that says I can take Jon Jones down. He's never had an experience like this; there's a reason he said no the first time."

"I destoroyed Anderson; I 'm gonna run through Jones."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Teeheehee destroyed Anderson but couldn't beat him and the second fight...well that was not a destruction at all. Also Chael...you barely beat Bisping and as much as I can't stand Bisping I still find that the fight was awfully close.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    Teeheehee destroyed Anderson but couldn't beat him and the second fight...well that was not a destruction at all. Also Chael...you barely beat Bisping and as much as I can't stand Bisping I still find that the fight was awfully close.
    i actually thought bisping won that fight.

its definitely arguable that chael has the best wrestling in the ufc. its damn good. the guy typically doesnt do much after the takedown though. destroyed Anderson?! Silva didn't even look like he'd been in a fight after their 1st outing! Chael is way too into his own hype.

Not sure if I recall bones being taken down as of yet.....but if chael has success.....I'm not sure what he thinks he'll do from the top? Likely be submitted or beat up from the top.

As impressive as silver medal is, second place is all chael sonnen will ever get.

Chael beat Bisping, just because he didn't destroy him as expected doesn't mean that he didn't win a close one.

P.S. Have you watched Chael's ground and pound?!?!
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Chael beat Bisping, just because he didn't destroy him as expected doesn't mean that he didn't win a close one.

P.S. Have you watched Chael's ground and pound?!?!
    doesn't really seem to put people in much danger of being finished......i think its more pestering. he did beat up stann and choke him out, but I thought stann was already gassed. can't recall chael finishing anyone with his almighty ground and pound though

Quote Originally Posted by iced View Post
    doesn't really seem to put people in much danger of being finished......i think its more pestering. he did beat up stann and choke him out, but I thought stann was already gassed. can't recall chael finishing anyone with his almighty ground and pound though
    Sometimes I forget the rule that not finishing= not doing much.
    USA! USA! USA!

When I look back at my old posts about Chael, I cringe. I cringe because I used to get so fired up about the things that he comes out with, and would have jumped on this thread, flaming Chael to hell, if it wasn't so clear to see that the things that he says are soundbites, not serious statements to be taken literally.

My opinion of Chael changed dramatically during the TUF series in particular. His monologues and motivational speeches were some of the best I've ever heard, from any coach or fighter. He got stuck in to training with the fighters, and just came across like a real good dude. Combine that with how he came across on the Joe Rogan Experience, and Chael can add me to his list of fans.

Chael is honest about his abilities; he's nota world class striker, he's not some jiu-jitsu wizard, but what he is is a dominant and technical wrestler with power-doubles that are almost impossible to stop.

If this fight goes the distance, it's absolutely plausible that Chael could grind out the decision and go home with his hand raised, but if he can't put Jones on his back, keep him there, and get the better of him while he's down there, then it's going to be a long, horrible night for Sonnen.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    When I look back at my old posts about Chael, I cringe. I cringe because I used to get so fired up about the things that he comes out with, and would have jumped on this thread, flaming Chael to hell, if it wasn't so clear to see that the things that he says are soundbites, not serious statements to be taken literally.

My opinion of Chael changed dramatically during the TUF series in particular. His monologues and motivational speeches were some of the best I've ever heard, from any coach or fighter. He got stuck in to training with the fighters, and just came across like a real good dude. Combine that with how he came across on the Joe Rogan Experience, and Chael can add me to his list of fans.

Chael is honest about his abilities; he's nota world class striker, he's not some jiu-jitsu wizard, but what he is is a dominant and technical wrestler with power-doubles that are almost impossible to stop.

If this fight goes the distance, it's absolutely plausible that Chael could grind out the decision and go home with his hand raised, but if he can't put Jones on his back, keep him there, and get the better of him while he's down there, then it's going to be a long, horrible night for Sonnen.
    NO! Chael is a liar, a crook and a thief. You must not like him at all for these particular reasons. Because I said so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Sometimes I forget the rule that not finishing= not doing much.
    nah, what i was trying to convey was.....chael states he "destroys" folks from the top. i don't find this true. i don't see him putting Jones in any kind of trouble if he is able to take him down. I think chael is in more trouble from the top then Jones is on the bottom imo

Quote Originally Posted by iced View Post
    nah, what i was trying to convey was.....chael states he "destroys" folks from the top. i don't find this true. i don't see him putting Jones in any kind of trouble if he is able to take him down. I think chael is in more trouble from the top then Jones is on the bottom imo
    I agree man, I could definitely see Jones opening Sonnen up with some elbows from the bottom. Condit was throwing elbows like mad from the bottom against GSP, and so I'm sure Jackson and Jones will be working those in camp.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information