Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should knees on the ground be banned in WMMA?

Default Should knees on the ground be banned in WMMA?

When Rousey and Carmouche finally fought in the octagon, many news outlets proclaimed that women's MMA had finally hit the mainstream. I (and I'm sure many others) think that women's MMA still has quite some way to go before it's truly accepted, by both fans and non-fans alike.

Anyway, after re-watching Cyborg (female) vs. Finney, I got thinking. For those who cringe at the thought of two women hitting each other, the thought of seeing one (part)woman land knees to the abdomen (ie: the baby maker) of a grounded woman is a step too far.

Just as the removal of soccer kicks and stomps arguably helped 'soften the blow' for new fans, could the removal of knees to a grounded opponent from the rules for WMMA, help legitimise it to new-and-non-fans?

A few points to consider:
    Knees to the body of a grounded opponent are not particularly common, as we often see fighters land primarily punches on the ground, interspersed with knees, often used to finish. However, to the uninitiated, these shots look particularly brutal.

By removing them, and making a point of the fact that these shots would be considered illegal in the women's fight only, new fans (and I'm sure, a number of current fans too) would feel that the safety of the fighter really is of paramount importance, and for this reason, knees are prohibited on the ground.

We also need to consider the fact that fighters are allowed to wear cups to protect their meat-and-veg, whereas the bodies of female fighters are exposed and open to attack.

I'm not some Captain Save-a-Hoe, and I'm not even decided on whether I think removing them would be for the best, but I do think that the power generated by a knee is likely to be more than that of a punch (in most cases), and when landed on a grounded opponent, this force is only multiplied, which could have serious implications for fighters wishing to have children once they've retired.

So, what's the opinion of the board?
    Last edited by Dan; 03-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

I like to use my length and upper body strength to stifle an opponent on the ground and then drive knees in as opposed to punches. As for WMMA I do see your point. I am now interested to research the potential damage this could cause to female organs. At this moment with nothing to back me up, I tend to think that this should be removed as I can only see the potential for long term damage.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Two thoughts. First, they should make some sort of female protective wear specifically for cage fighting/kickboxing. Some protection is better than no protection at least. Second, should boob punches be illegal? We all know how females complain about that shit.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Absolutely not. It's the name of the game. This is a physical sport and if you can't take a shot to the ribs like anyone else then get out of the cage. I think if people are going to take WMMA seriously, they are going to have to fight under the same rules as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Absolutely not. It's the name of the game. This is a physical sport and if you can't take a shot to the ribs like anyone else then get out of the cage. I think if people are going to take WMMA seriously, they are going to have to fight under the same rules as everyone else.
    Realistically though their bodies are far different than ours. Inside and out. (Thank jeebus).

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    I like to use my length and upper body strength to stifle an opponent on the ground and then drive knees in as opposed to punches. As for WMMA I do see your point. I am now interested to research the potential damage this could cause to female organs. At this moment with nothing to back me up, I tend to think that this should be removed as I can only see the potential for long term damage.
    Yeah, and I guess some could say well by removing knees to the ground you're actually hindering fighters who are strong in that position, because their attacks are limited in that position. I agree, I'd be interested to know what the potential damage could be.

Quote Originally Posted by K1NG P3NN View Post
    Two thoughts. First, they should make some sort of female protective wear specifically for cage fighting/kickboxing. Some protection is better than no protection at least. Second, should boob punches be illegal? We all know how females complain about that shit.
    That's a good idea. Maybe a much more toned-down stripped-back version of the Olympic body protectors in TKD
    Ouch, no I think boob punches should be illegal. Girls always say getting punched in the tits hurts the same amount as getting punched in the bollocks. I have no idea who can vouch for both sides.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Realistically though their bodies are far different than ours. Inside and out. (Thank jeebus).
    Ok then, let's outlaw punches and kicks to the body when they're standing too. After all, we do need to protect their baby makers. While we're at it, lets take away knees in the clinch and any form of slam. We're worried about them not being able to have kids so they can just stand in front of each other and play rock'em sock'em ovaries.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Knees on the ground to opponents heads too! Do it.

I understand the thought of wanting to protect people, but then, like everyone else, it's up to you to prevent the strike from happening. Are we going to ban knees from the clinch for women as well? Especially since they can be thrown with about double the force.

MMA and WMMA should have identical rules.

Women should be treated as equals. Next people will be wanting women to fight with head and chest gear.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information