Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weidman waiting for win over Silva to sign new contract

Default Weidman waiting for win over Silva to sign new contract

Weidman waiting for win over Silva to sign new contract - Mixed Martial Arts News

It is pretty common for most UFC athletes to sign a new contract with the organization before their first big title fight. A new contract usually comes with a pay raise for being the number one contender and outlines his pay structure going forward as champion, should he win.

Chris Weidman on the other hand is confident in his ability to win and will wait after his title bout with Anderson Silva before signing a new contract. The move is risky: If he loses he may not get the same kind of pay day he would have in the title, but if he wins he's a strong negotiation position as the UFC champion. Weidman elaborated on his decision to MMAJunkie Radio:

"I think we're just going to keep the contract," Weidman told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio). "I'm definitely OK with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (to win). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is."

It's a bold statement for the 28-year-old New Yorker. After all, with just nine career bouts to his name, Weidman's critics have wondered whether or not he's even deserving of a chance to step in the cage with the sport's top pound-for-pound fighter. But Weidman believes he's made each of those nine appearances count, taking on the biggest challenges available at each step along the way.

"People say I don't have that many fights, which is true, but I've never had an easy fight," Weidman said. "Even when I was in Ring of Combat, we always wanted to get the best guys because I wanted to get that experience. Guys like Uriah Hall, who's coming up 'The Ultimate Fighter,' I fought that guy in my third fight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Ahhhh i dont know about this. If I was the number one contender and about to face Anderson Silva I would hedge my bets and reup my contract with my #1 contender status as leverage. I know I would never make it down to 185 and the 1%ers that dont get ktfo by the spider just end up tapping.

Also if he reups now and then wins the belt the UFC will voluntarily increase the paper they did it with Cain right as they cut fitch and co

That's interesting, I really like this guy's chances. He seems very hungry and does possess a skill set that can give Anderson fits.

I just heard from Ed Soares that Anderson is backing out of the fight until Weidman re-ups his contract.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

5. Default

Worked for Joe Flaco
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Well, I guess if you're going to bet on someone it might as well be yourself. He's confident, I like that. I'd still reup as a #1 contender if it were me... But I admire his spirit

Its gotta hurt with balls that big

rob_bills Guest

He'll be waiting a long time then

Wants that Anderson Silva title so he can get that Anderson Silva money.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

I respect this, but I would strike while the iron is hot.

Will he get any of the pay per view money at his current contract?

Thread Information