Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should rounds be longer/shorter?

Default Should rounds be longer/shorter?

Earlier this week I posted a thread asking the board whether or not knees should be banned on the ground in WMMA fights. An article in this month's Fighter's Only got me thinking about changes to the rules that could take place as MMA continues to grow.

These rule changes might come about in the interests of improving/maintaining fighter safety, rectifying any ill-conceived rules that might favour one style over another, or to keep the sport from stagnation. Either way, I see it as inevitable that rules will be tweaked and changed over the next few years.

So... to go to the point. The article I mentioned above was about whether or not the length (and number) of rounds in MMA fights under the unified rules should be changed.

A number of old school fighters (Don Frye, K.Shamrock) - and some new-school fighters too like Gunnar Nelson - stated that they preferred the 10min/5min/5min set-up of Pride, or the no-time limit days of the early UFC's.

Others suggested having 3, 3-minute rounds, so that the 'feeling out' process would be bypassed, with fighters coming out aggressive to try and win each round.

So I'll say it again: What does the board think? Should rounds be shorter, or longer? Should there be more of them, or less? What about main events and title fights?

Personally, I'd like to see things stay the same for standard fights, but for main events (or maybe only 'official number one contender fights') and title fights I'd like to see a 10-minute opening round, followed by 4 rounds of 30-minutes. How many times have we seen awesome title fights that have ended just as the tides are turning (see Aldo/Hominick)?

Anyone, throw your two pennies worth in the pot!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

FIXED:

I've been an advocate 5 THREE-minute rounds for a long time in routine fights, and 9 THREE-minute rounds in a championship fight.

painting this AM, will have to clean the filters on my ventilation.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 03-29-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I've been an advocate 5 five-minute rounds for a long time in routine fights, and 9 five-minute rounds in a championship fight.

rh
    holy FUCK.

I remember Roy Nelson in his infinite wisdom being an advocate for shorter rounds, but more of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I think the current situation is more than adequate...I'm not sure I would be in favor of switching to the PRIDE format, despite how much I enjoyed it at the time.

No making the rounds shorter though, it would just take away from the ground game, and that's not okay in my books.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    a 45 Min fight? I dont htink anyone right now has that kind of cardio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    holy FUCK.
    ugh. I fixed it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

7. Default

That makes more sence RH
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

I think jumping into round lengths is way too far ahead. It should start with basics that are ruining the current fight game. Things like intentional strikes to cause cuts to stop fights. Using the cage as an object to gain an advantage, I'd prefer a ring like pride anyday over a cage. How about a universal rule concerning actions on the ground to prevent literal lay and prey wins. And for the love of god and Joe Rogan, someone make some freakin new MMA gloves so people don't poke each others eyes out anymore. Some great fights have been stopped due to this BS and also some pretty severe injuries. I could say the same about someone making a universal improved cup but that's alot less likely to happen.

I'd rather see any of the above fixed before I think about round times of all things. Way too much stuff already wrong currently. 3 5 min rounds are fine. Give me some better trained judges too. Sick of seeing fighters robbed of wins like they stole somethin. Or when you see the cards and you clearly see one judge rule like he wasn't even watching the same fight as the other hundred thousand people. 3 5's are fine though. If you're gonna gas out you're gonna gas out period. 3 evenly timed rounds lets the cards work right for scoring better than different timed rounds would.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, ain't no one got time for dat! Fix the number of other issues first.

I would love to see how 3 minute rounds would affect fights! It would probably make for much more exciting fights.

I also wonder how no time limit would go these days with the fighters we have.
    "They're all dead. They just don't know it yet."

Thread Information