Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should rounds be longer/shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by sikk View Post
    3 evenly timed rounds lets the cards work right for scoring better than different timed rounds would.
    That's a really good point that I never really took into consideration. I could be wrong here, but I think that in Pride the judges, judged the fights as a whole and not per round. However, if the fights are being judged per round, a 10-5-5 makes it more complicated for the already terrible judges. This is a bummer, since I kind of like the idea of a longer round.

I don't think shorter rounds would result in more exciting fights, not at all actually. A guy like Anderson is going to feel out his opponent no matter how long the round. However I see a Fitch type of fighter being able to neutralize his opponent more easily and in such a short round the Ref would not really be able to stop it and stand them up. In a 10 minute round, the ref would be able to stand up fighters a couple of times and even penalize a fighter for taking the fight to the ground and stalling too many times.

I think the sport in its purest form would have no rounds, I think adding rounds or shrinking rounds takes away from that. A fighters strategy should be more geared towards the fight and not the rules, what I mean by that can be explained with an example from boxing. In boxing, time and time again you would see a fighter win the first 7 or 8 rounds and coast for the last 4 (great example of that is De La Hoya vs. Tito Trinidad) I would hate to see that happen in MMA.

If the judging could be fixed in parallel I would not mind seeing fights be 10-5 format and title fights in a 10-5-5-5 format.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    FIXED:

I've been an advocate 5 THREE-minute rounds for a long time in routine fights, and 9 THREE-minute rounds in a championship fight.
    I've been a proponent of the 5 three-minute rounds as well in routine fights, but can't say the same about 9 three-minute rounds for championship fights. I've leaned more towards 7 three-minute rounds for championship fights even though it would be overall 4 minutes shorter than it is currently, which after a while I was okay with.

The main advantage of shorter time and additional rounds is that it will improve the scoring. Currently, the scoring system is broken into three increments for non-title fights and five increments for title fights (and main events). Breaking the judging into shorter increments would hopefully allow for less primacy and recency bias.

However, there are two disadvantages. First, a BJJ fighter is definitely at a disadvantage with shorter time, as the sport is based on patience and position before submission. That's very hard to do with shorter time.

The second is that someone could absolutely massacred in one round, but each round is going to get weighted less (with additional rounds), so the domination will have less weight. That has less to do with additional rounds and more to do with the current point scoring system. An alternative scoring system of 10-9 (close rounds), 10-8 (clear winner), 10-7 (domination) would help those cases.

My final suggestion would be 5 judges scoring the fights.

3 minute rounds would favor blankets.

I like what the doctor has to say,

Ive always felt more judges like 5 of em would be good especially for title fights. Of course if the athletic commissions could birth a rotation of 3 fully competent judges that be way better than 5 average judges.

Shortening the rounds seems the wrong way to go unless the next round starts in the same exact position the other ended in. If you lengthen them then the refs need to be better trained to curb stalling and stagnant behavior. Plus the demand on fighters to train even harder would be too much. 5 minutes rounds are perfect if the ref and fighters (even the judges how ever many) are on top of their game.

I know I probably sound kinda crazy and that's part of why I don't post often but...

I'd like to see less athletes and more fighters in this "sport". Take away time limit and rounds. No more judges, no more decisions. If you don't come to finish the fight then find something else to do.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    I know I probably sound kinda crazy and that's part of why I don't post often but...

I'd like to see less athletes and more fighters in this "sport". Take away time limit and rounds. No more judges, no more decisions. If you don't come to finish the fight then find something else to do.
    Sorry sir, this is not the Arena!

Go watch Spartacus.

I've never been a fan of the idea of 3 minute rounds. 3 minute rounds may work in boxing but with all of the elements in an MMA fight, I think it's just too small of a sample size to give these guys to work. Effective grappling can takes time to set up so I think it would negatively effect that aspect of the fight. People already complain about a take down having too much value, taking 2 minutes away gives a fighter less of a chance of making up for getting taken down.

I remember the women's division in Elite XC used 3 minute rounds and not liking it. Just seemed too short as the action would get cut off too soon. I liked the 10 minute opening round in Pride as it made for something different. Forced guys to come in with a different strategy but ultimately I wouldn't change the current system. There are definitely more important tweaks they should be working on.

I don't think it would matter really. Your LnP style would just make longer rounds become ridiculous. I personally like it the way it is. Just enough time to work, but can quickly become time to engage if there is a dull moment in the fight and you are behind....especially in the later rounds. I don't know...

I still think the judging should be dealt with honestly. I think that would solve many problems. I would rather see that figured out than the time
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Judging and scoring criteria need adjusting not round length.

10. Default

First effort should be to educate and set standards for judging being a boxing judge doesn't count for much. Extra judges with a monitour to rewatch parts.

Thread Information