Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should rounds be longer/shorter?

Instant replay for referees for fucked up calls.

No. Keep them the same

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I had a friend (who isn't an avid MMA/UFc
    C) watcher advocate for two 10 minute rounds with the potential for a 5 minute "overtime" round. I'm not sayin I'm for or Against (to be honest would rather see fights stay the same length regardless) but would be interested in maybe hearing pros and cons for this?

Quote Originally Posted by sikk View Post
    I think jumping into round lengths is way too far ahead. It should start with basics that are ruining the current fight game. Things like intentional strikes to cause cuts to stop fights. Using the cage as an object to gain an advantage, I'd prefer a ring like pride anyday over a cage. How about a universal rule concerning actions on the ground to prevent literal lay and prey wins. And for the love of god and Joe Rogan, someone make some freakin new MMA gloves so people don't poke each others eyes out anymore. Some great fights have been stopped due to this BS and also some pretty severe injuries. I could say the same about someone making a universal improved cup but that's alot less likely to happen.

I'd rather see any of the above fixed before I think about round times of all things. Way too much stuff already wrong currently. 3 5 min rounds are fine. Give me some better trained judges too. Sick of seeing fighters robbed of wins like they stole somethin. Or when you see the cards and you clearly see one judge rule like he wasn't even watching the same fight as the other hundred thousand people. 3 5's are fine though. If you're gonna gas out you're gonna gas out period. 3 evenly timed rounds lets the cards work right for scoring better than different timed rounds would.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, ain't no one got time for dat! Fix the number of other issues first.
    Where do I start with this? Cuts happen. Some people cut easier than others. Sux, but oh well.

The ring worked for boxing and kickboxing but was useless for anything with grappling. I was a big fan of Pride but couldn't stand the fight always being stopped to move to the middle of the ring.

As for the gloves, they couldn't prevent eye pokes without taking away from the grappling.

As for lay n pray, there are already rules in place. The judges are supposed to stand people up if they aren't advancing position. Unfortunately there are people like Sonnen who work around this rule by peppering their grounded opponents with a barrage of punches that wouldn't really hurt a little girl, but that's another story.

And on topic. I would like to see five three minute rounds for regular fights. I thought I had an awesome idea, but someone already posted it and it looks like most people agree with it.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information