Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condit: GSP will beat Hendricks

Default Condit: GSP will beat Hendricks

Condit: GSP will beat Hendricks - Mixed Martial Arts News

Carlos Condit has a unique perspective on the next welterweight title fight, having fought and lost bouts to both the champion, Georges St-Pierre and challenger Johny Hendricks.

Former interim UFC welterweight champion Carlos Condit gives his prediction on a potential match up between Georges St. Pierre and Johny Hendricks on AXS TV's "Inside MMA."

"I'm going to have to go with Georges St. Pierre. Georges St. Pierre - he's just a more polished fighter. Johny Hendricks, he's dangerous and he's got good skills be he is a little rough around the edges when it comes to his whole game, and Georges is just such a technician. He puts things together so well and is just a sharp, clean fighter and I think that's going to make the difference in that match up."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

True, Hendricks isn't as polished, but he has better wrestling than GSP and he has Knockout power. Something GSP hasn't displayed since.... Ever.
    If there's anyone that can pull off the upset it's gonna be Hendricks.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    True, Hendricks isn't as polished, but he has better wrestling than GSP and he has Knockout power. Something GSP hasn't displayed since.... Ever.
    If there's anyone that can pull off the upset it's gonna be Hendricks.
    I'm not sure entirely agree that GSP doesn't possess knockout power, I just think his safety-first style of the last few years discourages him from committing to the kinds of shots or flurries that he used to put people away with.

Even though GSP is super well-rounded and dynamic, Hendricks is - stylistically - an awkward match-up for GSP. We saw in the Condit fight that he's not afraid to charge forward against a more technical fighter, looking for the KO. GSP likes to use the jab, dictate the distance, and pick guys apart on the feet, but with Hendricks charging forward he's going to find that very difficult.

The wrestling department is where it's going to get really interesting. As we know, when we see two wrestlers facing each other, it usually ends up being a striking match. But with the kind of power Hendricks has - and GSP's propensity for fighting 'safely' - I don't see this happening. Now we've seen GSP outwrestle guys that were supposedly better wrestlers than he was, but whether or not he can do that with Hendricks remains to be seen, and man I can't wait to see it.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

If Hendricks charges in against Georges he will end up on his back and when he's not charging in he will eat a lot of jabs. That's a big strength of GSP is that he controls the fight so very well. I think for Johny to have success he will need to look for the td early. None of the really good wrestlers that Georges has fought since Hughes have really even tried and I think that GSP can thank Serra for that. His suspect jaw has had guys trying to knock his head off instead of implimenting a smart strategy
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

5. Default

you can become unpolished with large hook from Johny. Power can change everything/ GSP is great but Johmy is a VERY DANGEROUS fight for GSP
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

6. Default

I GSP has the same worry he puts in everyone else TD or strike it opens the game up some. GSP is a very smart fighter and is well coached by many coaches, but if Johnny get some confussion going he's got a legit shot. You have to commit to a punch to have power and GSP doesn't as he's looking for control with the jab. Johnny shot is from ackwardness, great wrestling, power to finish, and the will to commit. If he can get through GSP's jab and kicks he's got a shot. Now with all of that said my pick em's will be GSP by dec

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I'm not sure entirely agree that GSP doesn't possess knockout power, I just think his safety-first style of the last few years discourages him from committing to the kinds of shots or flurries that he used to put people away with.

Even though GSP is super well-rounded and dynamic, Hendricks is - stylistically - an awkward match-up for GSP. We saw in the Condit fight that he's not afraid to charge forward against a more technical fighter, looking for the KO. GSP likes to use the jab, dictate the distance, and pick guys apart on the feet, but with Hendricks charging forward he's going to find that very difficult.

The wrestling department is where it's going to get really interesting. As we know, when we see two wrestlers facing each other, it usually ends up being a striking match. But with the kind of power Hendricks has - and GSP's propensity for fighting 'safely' - I don't see this happening. Now we've seen GSP outwrestle guys that were supposedly better wrestlers than he was, but whether or not he can do that with Hendricks remains to be seen, and man I can't wait to see it.
    I, for the most part, agree with this. Hendricks is definitely an awkward match for GSP but he doesn't lose this one in my opinion. And he doesn't get KTFO like people are used to seeing in Hendricks fights (with Johny's power).

GSP by UD. He takes Hendricks into deep waters and controls the fight the whole time, like always. Until I see Hendricks dominate the wrestling game against GSP - I don't believe his skills are better than GSPs. I see GSP neutralizing the stand-up game with outside jabs and keeping Johny at a distance, taking him down at will and out-working him to a UD.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

I think Johnny's approach to closing the distance plays right into GSP's strengths though. Hendricks doesn't duck and cover distance going for a leg, he closes the distance more vertically and then drops (similar to Sonnen), which I think makes him particularly vulnerable to being jabbed to death.

I think Hendricks has a punchers chance (and better than most) but still picking GSP by UD.

The only 2 fighters that are left for GSP that have a legitimate chance to dethrone him is Hendricks and then Maia.. If GSP can get passed those 2 (that's saying if Maia gets a title shot this year or next) then he should move up to Middleweight IMO. The other guys in WW aren't gonna beat GSP.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

GSP is the best winner in MMA. He's not the best fighter, but he is the best at planning and executing a way to win. He'll avoid Hendricks punching power with kicks, work his superior cardio, and get more take downs. GSP 49-46 U.D.

Thread Information