Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Roop meets former bantamweight champ Brian Bowles at UFC 160

Default George Roop meets former bantamweight champ Brian Bowles at UFC 160

George Roop will make a fast turnaround after his first bantamweight victory, and he'll do it against a former champion.

Roop (13-9-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) will stay at 135 pounds and meet Brian Bowles (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at the UFC's Memorial Day weekend card, UFC 160, in Las Vegas. Sources with knowledge of the fight on Thursday confirmed the booking to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps).

UFC 160 takes place May 25 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and features a heavyweight title fight between champion Cain Velasquez and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Although the UFC has not made a formal announcement of the fight, Bowles vs. Roop likely will be part of the preliminary card.

Bowles makes a long-awaited return to the octagon after being out of action since a November 2011 loss to Urijah Faber at UFC 139. In that fight, he was stooped by a Faber guillotine choke in the second round for just the second loss of his career. The former WEC standout upset Miguel Torres in August 2009 to win that promotion's bantamweight title, but in his first defense, he lost it to current sidelined champ Dominick Cruz when he couldn't continue after two rounds due to a broken hand.

That injury kept him out for a year, but he returned in impressive fashion with a "Submission of the Night" first-round win over Damacio Page in his UFC debut and followed that up with a win over Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 132 before the loss to Faber.

After a 1-3 stretch at featherweight in his second stint in the UFC, Roop dropped down to bantamweight for the second time in his career and picked up a unanimous decision win over Reuben Duran just 10 days ago at UFC 158 in Montreal. That win snapped a two-fight skid that saw him stopped by Cub Swanson and on the wrong end of a controversial split decision to Hatsu Hioki. Roop, a former "TUF" contestant at lightweight and longtime featherweight, had only competed once at bantamweight before UFC 158 – a loss to Eddie Wineland at WEC 46 more than three years ago.

The latest UFC 160 card now includes:
    Champ Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva - for heavyweight title
    Junior dos Santos vs. Mark Hunt
    James Te Huna vs. Glover Teixeira
    T.J. Grant vs. Gray Maynard
    Donald Cerrone vs. KJ Noons
    Gunnar Nelson vs. Mike Pyle
    Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Abel Trujillo
    Amir Sadollah vs. Stephen Thompson
    Colton Smith vs. Robert Whittaker
    Estevan Payan vs. Jeremy Stephens
    Brian Bowles vs. George Roop
    Dennis Bermudez vs. Max Holloway
    George Roop meets former bantamweight champ Brian Bowles at UFC 160 | News
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Glad to see Bowles back in action.

I think Roop gets blown out here.

He seems to be lost when he gets in with the top tier.

Of course, that could have to do with his inability to stay in a constant weight class.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I think Roop gets blown out here.

He seems to be lost when he gets in with the top tier.

Of course, that could have to do with his inability to stay in a constant weight class.
    But at the same time Bowles has been out 18 months or so. I think under normal circumstances Bowles takes it, but considering the lay off it's a toss up for me.

5. Default

Bowles will decapitate him.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    But at the same time Bowles has been out 18 months or so. I think under normal circumstances Bowles takes it, but considering the lay off it's a toss up for me.
    Last time when Bowles had a long lay off, he came back and beat Damacio Page again with the same move (guillotine), in the same round (1st), and the same bloody time (at 3:30)! That's how you show someone you hadn't lost a step. Pretty badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Last time when Bowles had a long lay off, he came back and beat Damacio Page again with the same move (guillotine), in the same round (1st), and the same bloody time (at 3:30)! That's how you show someone you hadn't lost a step. Pretty badass!
    I remember that, crazy stuff man. Curious to see how he deals with Roop's size

Roops out of his depth here, but Bowles tends to get torn up and fold against the top of the division himself.

HUH?

He broke his hand against Cruz and got choked by Faber...

Meanwhile, he beat Page, Torres, Mizugaki, and Galvao.

Torn up isn't really a fair assessment.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information