+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zahabi: If GSP fights Silva next, that could be his last fight

Hybrid View

Default Zahabi: If GSP fights Silva next, that could be his last fight

Zahabi: If GSP fights Silva next, that could be his last fight - Mixed Martial Arts News

Firas Zahabi, lead trainer for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, recently appeared on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show, and discussed who's next.

“That’s something that after he comes back from vacation we’re going to have to sit down and talk about, Georges and me and his management,” said Zahabi. “It’s not a one-sided decision. The UFC is going to have to obviously tell us what they want to do. I think Georges would do either fight, to be honest with you.”

“If he fights Hendricks, I think he could fight for longer. He could have more fights after that. If he fights Anderson Silva, I could really see that being his last fight. He’ll retire after that because there won’t be a bigger fight for him to do, I think, anymore in his career."

"Win or lose, I think he’ll probably end on that note, on Anderson Silva. Maybe that’s why it’s been pushed back a little bit, but I think when it does happen, it’ll be the last one because once he goes up a weight class, he’s never coming back down.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

If he does go fight Silva, would he then vacate his title? If so it would be better to see Hendricks fight Jake E. or Maia for the vacated belt? I personally want to see Maia get a shot.

Hendricks, Anderson, then retire. I'd be OK with that.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Hendricks, Anderson, then retire. I'd be OK with that.
    Hendricks first is fine. Not Silva...he would be demolished by Silva, wouldn't even be a fair fight.

If Georges fights Silva and doesn't fight Hendricks then he will be considered the biggest ducking fighter in MMA by me and I will totally bail on him as a fan. I still find it bs that he fought Diaz but that's over. Hendricks deserves that fight before anything else that Georges does. He's flirting with disgrace to me.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    Hendricks first is fine. Not Silva...he would be demolished by Silva, wouldn't even be a fair fight.

If Georges fights Silva and doesn't fight Hendricks then he will be considered the biggest ducking fighter in MMA by me and I will totally bail on him as a fan. I still find it bs that he fought Diaz but that's over. Hendricks deserves that fight before anything else that Georges does. He's flirting with disgrace to me.
    really? So if gsp is almost ready to retire, wants to spend time with loved ones and family, has one fight left and takes the one fight EVERYONE has been wanting for years, that means he ducked hendricks? You dont think gsp watches the rick story fight thinking he could do that? Haha, well, at least your post brought a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by macewen View Post
    really? So if gsp is almost ready to retire, wants to spend time with loved ones and family, has one fight left and takes the one fight EVERYONE has been wanting for years, that means he ducked hendricks? You dont think gsp watches the rick story fight thinking he could do that? Haha, well, at least your post brought a smile to my face.
    Damn right that means he will have ducked Hendricks. Taking any fight other than the deserving contender as he is still champ is ducking. Also I have never wanted to see Georges fight Silva so there goes your EVERYONE. The Story Hendricks fight was a while ago and as can be seen Hendricks has improved. If Georges wants to leave his title and fight Silva then fine but I will still consider him shirking his responsibilities. I think he already ducked Hendricks for Diaz and I'm a fan of Georges.

Glad I brought a smile to your face.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

omg.

really? .............. Really????

20 fights in the UFC and hes' never backed down from any fight ever given to him. Including the last 11 title defenses in which he's forced to fight who the UFC tells him to fight. So basically he hasn't had a choice on who to fight since he lost to Matt Serra in 2007. Even then he was given Josh Koscheck just to propel him back into title contention.

c'mon Give me a break and give GSP a break. If the best Welterweight fighter in the HISTORY of the UFC deserves anything, he deserves to have his say on who he fights next.

BUT, i'll play stoopid for a min.

Lets say he fights and beats Hendricks and then Maia wins his next one, will GSP still be ducking fighters if he chooses to fight ASilva instead of MAIA?? Ok ok ok ok. Lets say he beats Hendricks and Maia just to make you happy but now he wants to be happy and chooses to fight ASilva. BUT WAIT!!! Jake Ellenberg is on a roll and has earned himself a title shot but GSP is ducking Jake now..

I hope I sound really stupid to you, just so you can understand how I feel.
    Last edited by Badluck33; 03-30-2013 at 11:06 PM.

If Georges doesn't fight Hendricks then he will be considered the biggest ducking fighter in MMA by me

9. Default

If those are the two choices I'd say the UFC wants him to fight Hendrick's solely due to two fights = more $$ than one of GSP's

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    If those are the two choices I'd say the UFC wants him to fight Hendrick's solely due to two fights = more $$ than one of GSP's
    For starters I dont think fighters give a shit about fans accusing them of ducking fights. Anyone who calls GSP a pussy for fighting Silva via Hendricks is quite the fool. Anyone who thinks skipping a fight with Weidman to fight GSP makes Silva a pussy or coward is also very foolish.

The competition for the super fights in both cases is greater than either fight with either of the contenders imo. I mean seriously if you skip/postpone a fight with the number 1 contender to fight someone greater in skill with more accolades does that really make you a pussy? Since I know someone will come on and say ducking doesn't make yoiu a pussy my follow up question would be, "Does it even tarnish your legacy? If so... how??"

Another issue is the assumption that Silva will beat Weidman. Anything can happen but I would imagine a loss would make a superfight much less appealing infact I don't think Dana would have much interest at all.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 03-31-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information