Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zahabi: If GSP fights Silva next, that could be his last fight

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    omg.

really? .............. Really????

20 fights in the UFC and hes' never backed down from any fight ever given to him. Including the last 11 title defenses in which he's forced to fight who the UFC tells him to fight. So basically he hasn't had a choice on who to fight since he lost to Matt Serra in 2007. Even then he was given Josh Koscheck just to propel him back into title contention.

c'mon Give me a break and give GSP a break. If the best Welterweight fighter in the HISTORY of the UFC deserves anything, he deserves to have his say on who he fights next.

BUT, i'll play stoopid for a min.

Lets say he fights and beats Hendricks and then Maia wins his next one, will GSP still be ducking fighters if he chooses to fight ASilva instead of MAIA?? Ok ok ok ok. Lets say he beats Hendricks and Maia just to make you happy but now he wants to be happy and chooses to fight ASilva. BUT WAIT!!! Jake Ellenberg is on a roll and has earned himself a title shot but GSP is ducking Jake now..

I hope I sound really stupid to you, just so you can understand how I feel.
    Spot on, if GSP does end up fighting AS haters are going to say he ducked fighter X because fighter X is the #1 contender when really GSP will be taking the much harder fight against the much better fighter in AS...Cant please everyone, people will find a way to bitch and complain no matter when the fight is made.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    How hard is it for you casual fans to understand that a champion has a duty to defend his belt against the #1 contender? Seriously.

I dont care what his ego/fans say, if GSP wants to be called a champion, he needs to continue to earn that right by defending his belt, and not against hand picked opponents like Diaz.
    So if he beats Hendricks next, Mia or Ellenberger will be #1 contender, so then GSP has to defend it against one of them. Then after he beats that contender the UFC will have another fighter who is the #1 contender so with your logic GSP need to fight that guy to. After he wins that fight once again there will be another fighter (fighter X) who is now the #1 contender.....See where im going with this? Its a never ending road, as long as there is a champion there will be a "#1 Contender" and thus GSP will never be able to move up and fight silva (once again by your logic).

As for your second part, im pretty sure GSP has earned the title of Champion (yes PUN intedned). He has won his last 10 title fights (defending the belt 9 times if you count the unification bout with sera a defense) he has every right to pick a fight with Anderson Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Like BJ and Anderson did? didn't remember any bitching then......but oh yeah this is GSP he has differen't standards right? o.0

Exactly, gotta love that double standard amongst MMA fans. Its okay for those two to do it and not a single person complained about a division being held up or vacating a title. GSP hasnt even moved up / accepted a fight with AS and people are saying hes ducking all these people and should vacate the belt he has held since December 29, 2007.....

So I don't understand this. From day one GSP has said if he fought at middle weight he would relinquish the belt because he wouldn't go up and down between weight classes... So where's the issue? What if he couldn't make 170 anymore and had to move up to 185 would he still be ducking? Is JJ going to be accused of ducking when he can't make 205 anymore? Would it be ducking if Georges decided to retire for his health? Johny didn't earn a shot at Georges he earned a title shot which he can have with or without Georges.
    Last edited by end it with a left; 03-31-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Weren't there people trying to convince me Zahibi wasn't a bottom feeding parasite a while back? This should resolve any doubt.

Hendricks is the #1 contender. He has been the #1 contender for more than 6 months. Any time a champion fights someone other than the #1 contender, they're ducking the fight.

end of story.

If he wants to give up the title before he faces Anderson, fine.

Anything else is bullshit.

rh
    Going to try this again, Faras said itd be GSPS last fight...so giving what the fans have been asking for, for years, on his last fight, is ducking hendricks? hahah damn..

I'd be scared of Hendricks too.

Quote Originally Posted by macewen View Post
    Going to try this again, Faras said itd be GSPS last fight...so giving what the fans have been asking for, for years, on his last fight, is ducking hendricks? hahah damn..
    Duh.

Like BJ and Anderson did? didn't remember any bitching then......but oh yeah this is GSP he has differen't standards right? o.0

I'm in no way saying the case should have been different for BJ or Anderson.

If a legitimate contender is having a title fight delayed because of the champion jumping weight classes then that champion should be relinquishing their belt. No matter what their name is.

Better ?

Each new generation of fighter is better then the last. GSP and AS are worried about their #1 challengers dethroning them and wiping away their legacy.

I think GSP/Hendricks and AS/Weidman will both get scrapped and we will get the super fight.

I'd be disappointed to see him go straight to fighting Silva without taking on Hendricks but I understand the value to his legacy of getting the Silva fight done. And as long as he relinquishes the belt, I'm fine with it (at least as far as GSP is concerned).

Anderson caught a lot of crap on this forum, particularly for taking the Bonnar fight after saying he wasn't going to fight Weidman and was out until 2013 for his movies. So, in fact, Silva went through a similar situation and it was a total shitstorm on this forum. Pretending that didn't happen is ridiculous.

BJ is an interesting case. Off the cuff, I think it's that there wasn't the same list of contenders at the time and that BJ fought much more frequently than either Silva or GSP do recently.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    So if he beats Hendricks next, Mia or Ellenberger will be #1 contender, so then GSP has to defend it against one of them. Then after he beats that contender the UFC will have another fighter who is the #1 contender so with your logic GSP need to fight that guy to. After he wins that fight once again there will be another fighter (fighter X) who is now the #1 contender.....See where im going with this? Its a never ending road, as long as there is a champion there will be a "#1 Contender" and thus GSP will never be able to move up and fight silva (once again by your logic).
    The difference is that Johnny fought, and won, a #1 contender fight. GSP then chose to fight Diaz instead, explicitly requesting that. Simply, it's that GSP already avoided Hendricks once (regardless of motivation) that makes a second attempt to avoid him particularly questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    c'mon Give me a break and give GSP a break. If the best Welterweight fighter in the HISTORY of the UFC deserves anything, he deserves to have his say on who he fights next.
    that's it, in a nutshell.

I don't think any champions deserve to say who they fight next. EVER. Champions should face the #1 fighter in their division. Every time.

That's exactly what's wrong with boxing, and it's become what's wrong with MMA.

BUT, i'll play stoopid for a min.
    Play?

Lets say he fights and beats Hendricks and then Maia wins his next one, will GSP still be ducking fighters if he chooses to fight ASilva instead of MAIA??...
    You're cutesy little logic thing is overlooking that he's ALREADY ducked Hendricks in favor of Diaz. The damage is done. Nobody is talking about who he's going to fight 2, or 3 or 4 fights down the road, they're talking about who he SHOULD have fought LAST fight.

I'm not a Hendricks fan at all. I think he's an overrated punk, and I actually like Diaz and GSP 100x more than him. But Georges is obligated to face the #1 contender, and he punkassed out on that for a Diaz payday.

The least he could do is to face Hendricks now, and then fight Anderson.

I hope I sound really stupid to you, just so you can understand how I feel.
    It's not so much stupid as a failure to see that there is any validity to the tradition that the champion has an obligation to face the #1 contender. It was bullshit when Tito did it back in the day, it was bullshit when Anderson did it in 2009, and it's bullshit now.

Please. There was "bitching" when all of those fights occurred. Every time.

There is no double standard here, there is just revisionist history.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Spot on, if GSP does end up fighting AS haters are going to say he ducked fighter X because fighter X is the #1 contender when really GSP will be taking the much harder fight against the much better fighter in AS
    "Haters" aren't going to complain about fighter X. They're going to complain about Hendricks. He's earned a shot multiple times now. If Georges wants a vanity fight, he can vacate the WW belt, and all power to him.

If he wants to be WW champion, he should face the #1 contender in Hendricks. It's simple.

So if he beats Hendricks next, Mia or Ellenberger will be #1 contender, so then GSP has to defend it against one of them.
    I'll try to explain this again, before it gets legs among the unwashed clueless on the internet.

This isn't a case about him potentially defending against a potential, future #1 contender.

This is a case of him being a punkass and already ducking the #1 contender to face Diaz. He now has an opportunity to make that bullshit right.

As for your second part, im pretty sure GSP has earned the title of Champion (yes PUN intedned). He has won his last 10 title fights (defending the belt 9 times if you count the unification bout with sera a defense) he has every right to pick a fight with Anderson Silva.
    ...or, you could say no champion ever earns the right to pick a fight. It's simply that easy.

Exactly, gotta love that double standard amongst MMA fans. Its okay for those two to do it and not a single person complained about a division being held up or vacating a title.
    Explain the double standard to me again, with actual examples instead of this made-up bullshit?

There were plenty of complaints when Penn did it, and even more when Anderson ducked Hendo, Marquardt, and then Weidman. Of course, you probably weren't watching MMA back then...but it happened.

But for shits and giggles, who was the LW #1 contender when Penn moved up to face Georges again, and how many top 10 fighters had they beaten?

GSP hasnt even moved up / accepted a fight with AS and people are saying hes ducking all these people and should vacate the belt he has held since December 29, 2007.....

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by macewen View Post
    hahahaha...he's ALREADY ducked Hendricks, son.

This is his chance to not be a bitch and make things right.

...and I've never asked for the GSP/Anderson superfight.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Anderson Silva: Georges St-Pierre “Struggles With The Very Rule Of The Sport”
    Anderson Silva: Georges St-Pierre “Struggles With The Very Rule Of The Sport” - FightLine.com
    "I did not see his last fight, but I think it a great strategist," said Silva to TATAME. "Fight within the rules. It is nothing too abnormal. He's a complete guy, but he struggles with the very rule of the sport. He knows how to use well the rule. "
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

yeah, he's right.

Because a fighter like Anderson would neverevernever use straight kicks to the knee or anything.

...'specially when he's in California, because those liberal douchebags have some stoopid fighter safety nonsense rule against that.

Come to think of it, when was the last time Anderson fought in Cali? An' he looked pretty awesome in that fight, dint he?

pot, kettle, etc...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information