Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear British people. More specifically people of LONDON

Quote Originally Posted by lordpyro View Post
    That's crazy. You almost can't talk about history without getting into it. It was covered in pretty decent detail when I was going through school.

It's one of those best/worst kind of things, because the Empire did some great stuff, but they also did some really despicable stuff.

The extermination of the Thugee is a perfect example. Did the Thugee still exist in the 19th century? Lots of people are saying now that they did not, and the British used the legend of the Thugee to justify increasing their hold on India, which would be bad. But, if there were still Thugee cults, then what they did was a (at least marginally) good thing.

It's a really interesting period in world history. Lots of intrigue.
    One thing I can say about the British Empire, is that they did their imperialistic shit with a clearcut goal. They clearly benefited from all the territories that they owned (spices, silk, sugar, timber, labor, etc); meanwhile, I dont know what the US gets out of its territories....but this isnt a politics thread.

You should be able to watch it for free in the UK, I dont think they have PPV UFC events there; hence why half the streams are from the UK.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    One thing I can say about the British Empire, is that they did their imperialistic shit with a clearcut goal. They clearly benefited from all the territories that they owned (spices, silk, sugar, timber, labor, etc); meanwhile, I dont know what the US gets out of its territories....but this isnt a politics thread.

You should be able to watch it for free in the UK, I dont think they have PPV UFC events there; hence why half the streams are from the UK.
    I think that had a lot to do with the "Let them eat cake" mentality of the ruling class. They didn't give a fuck who they stepped on to get what they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by lordpyro View Post
    Really???? The British Empire and Colonialism were the biggest part of our world history books in school.
    Huge part in Canada too. Studied 1800-1945 then only Aboriginal Affairs 1880-1985.

Funny that we learned nothing of the Korean War or the Vietnam War, might have better been able to decipher what the Iraq War was about as a teenager rather than being in awe of watching it on CNN.

Just to get you used to British culture: 16 Thoughts that make you undeniably British | eHow.co.uk

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Crazy how a country smaller than Texas at one point practically ruled the world.
    They had a pretty strong hold of power for a while. Unfortunatelly every empire has it's down fall. In this case....it's Bisping.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

i guess i can point out that texas is almost three times the size of the UK, (so that includes wales, scotland, and northern ireland). texas is damn near the size of europe.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Just to get you used to British culture: 16 Thoughts that make you undeniably British | eHow.co.uk
    balls... i fit most of those, though my bloodline is most all from the british isles
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    balls... i fit most of those, though my bloodline is most all from the british isles
    Bollocks.

Thread Information