Thread: Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands

Default Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands

After being diagnosed with a rare heart disorder, UFC welterweight Dan Hardy has decided against corrective surgery, even if it might end his fighting career.

"I don't see a reason why I would let someone go in and start messing with it," he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "That's an easy decision to make."

Hardy was barred by the California State Athletic Commission from competing April 20 at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose when a prefight electrocardiogram revealed markers of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. He said he'll place his fate in the hands of the UFC and should know this week whether the promotion will risk putting him in the octagon.

Most state athletic commissions likely would throw up a red flag on Hardy competing, but the UFC regulates many of its own events overseas in the absence of a commission.

Hardy (25-10 MMA, 6-4 UFC), 30, said there are no guarantees surgery would fix an irregularity in his heart. According to doctors, the surgery would send additional electricity through the heart upon its second contraction. Most with Wolff- Parkinson-White suffer from heart palpitations and a rapid heartbeat but, in extreme cases, there is danger of sudden cardiac arrest if the strength of the heart's second contraction exceeds the first.

Tests revealed Hardy, a onetime UFC welterweight title challenger, had a resting heart rate of 42 beats a minute and a maximum of 200, mirroring other superbly conditioned athletes. Hardy said he's forgoing the operation because he's never had symptoms of the syndrome.

"I know I'm approaching the end of my career," Hardy said. "I've got to weigh whether it's worth me taking the risk and getting the surgery to have a couple more fights I might not enjoy being a part of anyway."

While promoting UFC on FOX 7, Hardy, who last year took a spiritual retreat to Peru, told news reporters he ideally would like to retire next year after a five-fight winning streak that ended with a defense of the welterweight title. He said he was unhappy with the business side of mixed martial arts and expressed a desire to return to school to complete a doctorate in philosophy.

"The business side of it is cutthroat, and at times it can be very unfair," he said. "The meatheadedness around it, I don't like any of it. It's just ego for the sake of ego, and I can't evolve into the person that I want to be in my life while being a part of it. That occurred to me when I was in South America."

With the health development, his timetable for the next chapter in his life might have changed.

"They're not options for me," Hardy said. "They're options for the UFC and whether they want to take a risk and whether, in fact, they see me as a risk. Everyone's seen my fights. I never make an easy night of it. It's always a scrap. I've been in the trenches, and I've never had any problems.

"I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use me, but, obviously, the decision is out of my hands."

For more on the UFC's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
    Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands | News
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Can one of the MODS change the title to

Dan Hardy passes on surgery to correct heart ailment, says future in UFC's hands
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

That sucks for Hardy. Heart problems can be a bad thing. That occurred to me when I was in North America.
    USA! USA! USA!

Hopefully this is it for Hardy. As much as i am a fan of the outlaw i wouldnt want to see anything crazy happen to him while he is getting ready for a fight or during a fight. Heart issues are nothing to mess around with.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

It doesn't sound like it's really a big deal, just one of those little things like a small cut that would keep you from fighting. I had a friend who could have gone pro if it wasn't for an irregular heartbeat. So this could actually end his career. It would be a real shame....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    It doesn't sound like it's really a big deal, just one of those little things like a small cut that would keep you from fighting. I had a friend who could have gone pro if it wasn't for an irregular heartbeat. So this could actually end his career. It would be a real shame....
    It clearly says rare heart disorder.

That's nothing to joke about. I hope UFC doesn't let him do anything. I don't think the UFC would risk something like a Hank Gathers situation on a show. Especially if they knew he had a condition. It would totally ruin the sport.

I've got a feeling that this will ultimately be the end of the Outlaw. He had already stated his desire to fight in 2013 then retire at the end of the year, so this just pushes his plans up a bit. He was always a fun guy to watch, I hope he does well with whatever he chooses to do moving forward.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, it’s a fun thing to do."

Thread Information