Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gustafsson teammate Ilir Latifi meets Mousasi in UFC on FUEL TV 9 main event

Default Gustafsson teammate Ilir Latifi meets Mousasi in UFC on FUEL TV 9 main event

STOCKHOLM – Without original opponent Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) off the card with a training cut, Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) now will face Gustafsson teammate Ilir Latifi (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 9 main event.

UFC President Dana White on Tuesday night tweeted news of the new main event. The UFC had been scrambling to figure out what to do when the Swedish MMA Federation earlier Tuesday ruled Gustafsson ineligible for the fight because of a facial cut he suffered in a recent training session.

While the original Gustafsson-Mousasi main event was scheduled for five rounds, UFC officials confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) that the Mousasi-Latifi fight, while still a headliner, will be just three rounds due to the short notice for Latifi.

UFC on FUEL TV 9 takes place at Stockholm's Ericsson Globe Arena with a main card on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Latifi comes into his UFC debut on a three-fight win streak, all of which took place in 2012. "The Sledgehammer" has five of his seven career wins by stoppage. His most recent loss came at the hands of recent Bellator MMA light heavyweight tournament winner Emanuel Newton under the Shark Fights banner in July 2011. That bout was his first outside of Europe.

From a size standpoint, Mousasi will be facing an opponent with a significant size difference than Gustafsson. Gustafsson stands 6-foot-4, while Latifi checks in at just 5-8 against the 6-1 Mousasi.

Gustafsson was slated to headline his second UFC event in his home country – and would have been in good standing for top contendership for the light heavyweight title with a win. A timetable hasn't been given for his return.

UFC officials were left with limited options when given the news that Gustafsson was 100 percent not possible for Saturday. Among those options may have been moving a co-main event between Ross Pearson and Ryan Couture up a spot into the main event. But with Latifi being tapped for his debut, that won't be necessary.

I was looking forward to this fight. Mousasi vs Shogun should happen soon

Win for Mousasi.

Good thing somebody stepped up on short notice to save this card from being scratched altogether. (Sarcastic font implied)
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

4. Default

Ilir Latifi is 5 foot 8 as a LHW...wow

Out of 7 career wins it breaks down like this
    2 KO/TKO (29%) 3 SUBMISSIONS (42%) 2 DECISIONS (29%)

So the Sledgehammer wins more by Sub than KO...maybe a nickname change is in order?
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Ilir Latifi is 5 foot 8 as a LHW...wow

Out of 7 career wins it breaks down like this
    2 KO/TKO (29%) 3 SUBMISSIONS (42%) 2 DECISIONS (29%)

So the Sledgehammer wins more by Sub than KO...maybe a nickname change is in order?
    Landing heavy shots leads to submissions quite often with well-rounded fighters.

I think he was more so talking about landing strikes and people rolling to their back and locking in a rear naked or something along those lines.

Dana is dumb for not letting a big name fight Mousasi. What a wasted opportunity to let Shogun, Lil Nog, Tex fight in the main event. Instead we get to watch some reject from Bellator fight Gregard...

Blah
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I watched a few of Latifi's fights and he seems to have very good timing on his takedowns and very good ground control. I don't see him finishing Mousasi but I wouldn't be surprised to see a UD upset.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Dana is dumb for not letting a big name fight Mousasi. What a wasted opportunity to let Shogun, Lil Nog, Tex fight in the main event. Instead we get to watch some reject from Bellator fight Gregard...

Blah
    You make it sound like they were all gunning at the shot. Didn't hear a peep from all 3. Sucks yeah, but on short notice, I wasn't expecting much.

Thread Information