Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shinya Aoki will drop to Featherweight regardless of outcome at ONE FC 8

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I am not disregarding OneFC as a promotion. They have lots of young, up and coming talent, more so of Far east Asian descent. They are opening the doors for Malaysian, Indonesian, Mongolian, Thai, Singapore talent, that the UFC just can't do.

They do also employ familiar names from the Dream promotion, and some UFC/Bellator/SF guys.

My point was that Aoki is a highly skilled, experienced fighter, who was for a long time a Top 10 LW. He surpasses anything these young fighters can offer him this early in their careers. He should be honing his skills against established, top LW/FW fighters. I get that being Patriotic is very important to him in staying in Japan, but part of me believes he does not want to fight in N.A. due to his lack of success.
    Could his lack of success not also be because it is so far from home? Time change... altitude... all that jazz. Sure, this can be overcome with him moving to America, but I doubt that is what he wants if he owns a MMA gym.

Aoki probably won't make another attempt another run in NA. I wouldn't blame him. Doesn't mean he is a coward, just that he is comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Could his lack of success not also be because it is so far from home? Time change... altitude... all that jazz. Sure, this can be overcome with him moving to America, but I doubt that is what he wants if he owns a MMA gym.

Aoki probably won't make another attempt another run in NA. I wouldn't blame him. Doesn't mean he is a coward, just that he is comfortable.
    There's quite a few Japanese, and even Korean based fighters finding success in the UFC. I can't say which ones have become U.S. residents and have adjusted living in America, but they seem to be handling quite well.

Yushin Okami has found the most success as a Japanese fighter fighting in N.A. and for a long time he was doing it flying back and forth from Japan before he began doing extensive training with Sonnen. Gomi is doing quite well too now. There's plenty of Japanese guys who can help him adjust stateside for a training camp.

With UFC establishing in Japan and China, all these Japanese fighters can expect to fight at home without dealing with the long travel. Should the UFC expand to other Asian countries like Thailand, Philippines, Korea, and hold an event in the Asian market few times a year, I wonder then would Aoki have an incentive to sign with the UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    There's quite a few Japanese, and even Korean based fighters finding success in the UFC. I can't say which ones have become U.S. residents and have adjusted living in America, but they seem to be handling quite well.

Yushin Okami has found the most success as a Japanese fighter fighting in N.A. and for a long time he was doing it flying back and forth from Japan before he began doing extensive training with Sonnen. Gomi is doing quite well too now. There's plenty of Japanese guys who can help him adjust stateside for a training camp.

With UFC establishing in Japan and China, all these Japanese fighters can expect to fight at home without dealing with the long travel. Should the UFC expand to other Asian countries like Thailand, Philippines, Korea, and hold an event in the Asian market few times a year, I wonder then would Aoki have an incentive to sign with the UFC?
    I am sure Aoki is content with where he is at which is why he is dropping weight instead of trying a new diet or strength/conditioning to become stronger at LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I am sure Aoki is content with where he is at which is why he is dropping weight instead of trying a new diet or strength/conditioning to become stronger at LW.
    Unlike American/Brazilian fighters, Japanese fighters are not known to make massive weight cuts to reach a weight class to have the size and strength advantage. They tend to fight at the weight they normally walk around with, maybe making few lbs of weight cut.

I dont think Aoki's weight class drop has anything to do with gaining the size and strength advantage. He's beaten almost all the LW out there in Asia, and I believe a move to FW is just to find new challenges.

ONE FC weigh in results and photos gallery for 'Kings & Champions' in Singapore - MMAmania.com

Shinya Aoki willing to break bones to get his revenge - MMA Fighting

"I'm very scared, always, before the fight," Aoki admits. "But once I step into the cage or the ring, I feel nothing. Empty. No anger. Nothing.

"I want to kill my opponent. I know that my opponent is going to have that exact same mentality, want to kill me. That's why I have a lot of fear before the fight. But once I step into the cage, once I step into the ring, all those feelings of fear or anger just dissipate and I feel nothing."
    "Kind of like Mike Tyson," Sityodtong chimes in. "Mike Tyson used to say that. In the locker room he cried, he punched the wall. He was so scared. Once he got into the ring, he just a wrecking machine.

"I've been in Shinya's corner now for the last few years. I also say the same thing. I see that when Shinya's walking from the locker room to the cage, the transformation happens and he becomes a warrior once he steps into the cage or the ring.

"He has no problems breaking bones and ripping arms off in a fight," Sityodtong continues. "He is very careful in training with his teammates, but all gloves are off during a fight. He has a kill or be killed mentality and he will do whatever it takes to win the fight -- within the rules, of course -- even if it means breaking bones. He's unemotional about it."

For years Aoki has been considered one of the top lightweights outside of Zuffa's behemoth umbrella. But only since he and Sityodtong forged their partnership has Aoki seemingly put everything together. Now Aoki has a sense of family, loyalty to his Evolve teammates. In particular Aoki has grown close with fellow ONE FC lightweight contender Zorobabel Moreira. Sityodtong calls them the "best of friends."

The bond extends so deep that Aoki was hesitant to challenge for the lightweight title after signing with ONE FC, as Moreira, fresh off a gruesome soccer kick knockout of Roger Huerta, was the favorite to defeat Kotetsu Boku and claim the inaugural strap in late-2012. But the best laid plans in mixed martial arts hardly ever end as expected, and Boku soundly finished the Brazilian early in the third round.

The loss was so devastating, Aoki says Moreira still hasn't spoken about it.

"They're the best friends on Evolve Fight Team," Sityodtong explains. "So the fact that they haven't spoken about that fight really just shows you how much Zoro is still heartbroken over that fight. Definitely revenge, the revenge factor if you will, Shinya definitely has that element. He's very patriotic for Evolve Fight Team. So there is definitely a true storyline. He's not only going to fight Kotetsu Boku for himself, but he's training [to win] for one of his teammates on Evolve Fight Team."
    "I'm inspired by Bernard Hopkins fighting until he's 48," Aoki says. "I believe I'll fight until 45 years old. I'm religious about my health and keeping, pretty much, in fighting shape year round, unlike other martial artists. I'm a true martial artist."

For Aoki to fulfill his goals, he'll ultimately need a change of scenery. The Japanese judoka has often disregarded inquiries about the UFC in the past, however as he continues to grind out the hours in Singapore, molding himself into perfect Sityodtong's vision, Aoki has slowly become more receptive to the idea.

"The bigger perspective is Shinya definitely wants to win the ONE FC world championship title when he faces Kotetsu Boku on April 5. I think, longer terms, he's definitely willing to take anybody in the world at lightweight," Sityodtong finishes.

"He wants to fight the best. He wants to beat the best. That's his [goal] in his entire life. This is what he loves to do and what he wants to do. You heard him, he's going to fight until he's 45 years old. So, you know, I see him dominating ONE FC, and then potentially dominating the UFC as well."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information