Thread: Struve 'chewing and talking', hopes next fight against top contender in 5 months

Default Struve 'chewing and talking', hopes next fight against top contender in 5 months

Stefan Struve 'chewing and talking' after suffering broken jaw, hopes next fight against top contender in five months - MMAmania.com

"I'm doing great. They put a nice titanium plate in there. I'm going to start training again probably next week, sparring in 10 weeks and hopefully be back in four to five months. Everything's going well. I expected a lot worse to be honest with you. I thought I'd be eating through a straw right now, but I'm chewing and talking and all the good stuff. So, I'm doing well."

Struve also revealed in the final weeks leading up to his showdown against Hunt that his training camp wasn't the best, suffering through a "heavy flu" coupled with a bad case of jet lag. He was, however, quick to dismiss any excuses and gave credit where credit is due, saying Hunt was the better fighter in "The Land of the Rising Sun."

Looking ahead, Struve targeted a potential Oct. 2013 return to the Octagon, but he must face his first "scary" sparring session.

Upon his return to action, Struve, 25, said he isn't looking to take it easy and wants a Top 10-ranked contender in order to prove he is worthy of being mentioned as one of the best in the division and as a future title contender.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Struve also revealed in the final weeks leading up to his showdown against Hunt that his training camp wasn't the best, suffering through a "heavy flu" coupled with a bad case of jet lag. He was, however, quick to dismiss any excuses and gave credit where credit is due, saying Hunt was the better fighter in "The Land of the Rising Sun."
    Ugh, I really dislike statements like this. "Im not making excuses but...." seems to be an acceptable way for most fighters to, in fact, make excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Ugh, I really dislike statements like this. "Im not making excuses but...." seems to be an acceptable way for most fighters to, in fact, make excuses.
    I agree in general, but what are people supposed to do when a reporter asks "You didn't look yourself during the fight. We're you 100%?". If you were really battling the flu, are you just supposed to say "I was 100%.I just got schooled".

There has to be some way guys can tell their story without it always being labeled an excuse. I have no problem with hearing the story when it isn't a whiny Tito/Diaz type excuse.

Thats because you are looking for controversy. A fighter should tell the truth when a reporter asks them questions. People can take the ball and run where they want to with it.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Most often, you only find what you are looking for rather than seeking to understand what something really is.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I suppose following mostly hockey as a sport growing up has spoiled me on athletes. "we simply didnt execute tonight, and they came in hungry and ready to play" sounds so much better to me then "I dont want to make excuses but...."
    I hate hockey interviews. It's the same cliche answers over and over. Such an exciting sport, so few personalities.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

So he was battling the flu, and maybe he got savaged by a badger during his warm up (something has to account for all of those scratches on his back) but for mine, the biggest reason he lost that fight was that he would back straight up after he got hit in an exchange. That's suicide against Hunt, because a) it allowed Hunt to leap into the left hook thereby increasing the power behind it and b) made it easier for Hunt to hit him with any strike because he knew exactly where Struves chin would be. He would have been much better served adding lateral movement and taking his head offline when retreating because it would have added variables to the calculation Hunt had to perform to touch his chin.

I've seen Struve fail to do this many times against opponents, sometimes getting KO'd in the process. Maybe the flu/jet lag weakened him and made him less effective in the grappling exchanges, but it was inadequate striking defence (which has been shown many times in fights which were presumably flu/jet lag free) that lost him the fight.

Thread Information