+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gegard Mousasi fought Ilir Latifi on injured knee, will undergo surgery

Default Gegard Mousasi fought Ilir Latifi on injured knee, will undergo surgery

Gegard Mousasi fought Ilir Latifi on injured knee, will undergo surgery - MMA Fighting

The former Strikeforce and Dream champion revealed following the event that he suffered a knee injury during his training camp, which will require surgery.

Mousasi, who improved to 34-3-2 on his career, didn't want to get into the specifics of the injury, but elaborated as best as he could at the post-fight press conference.

"I don't want to talk a lot about my injury, but I can tell that this injury, I'm pretty sure 95 percent wouldn't fight, from other fighters. You know, I stepped up, I didn't cancel the show, you know, I don't know, we go from here, you know.

Asked how long he'd be out of action, Mousasi said "I don't want to say anything yet, but it's nothing small."

UFC president Dana White, for his part, praised Mousasi's efforts this week, as he came to Sweden to fight Alexander Gustafsson in Gustafsson's homeland, then accepted the fight with Latifi after Gustafsson had to withdraw due to a cut suffered in training.

"Mousasi could make it to this fight, and then have surgery after the fight, the kid comes here because he wants to fight the No. 3 ranked light heavyweight in the world," White said."He doesn't want to give up this opportunity, he wants to fight. Shows up here to fight him, [Gustafsson] gets stopped on a cut ... then we throw this guy who was training for a tall striker, ends up fighting a short, strong, southpaw wrestler and still accepts the fight and takes it."

"Much respect to the guys in the main event," White added.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

well that excuses his 'lack of killer instinct'
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Gegard Mousasi:
    “I had a knee injury and a cold, but I trained for a fight so I wanted to fight. It was a risky fight. I tried to be precise and was slowly breaking him down. Maybe if we went five rounds I would have finished him.”

“I trained on the jab and we stuck to the game plan. The distance was good. He’s a shorter guy. If you keep the distance, and you stuff a couple of their takedowns, then the wrestlers don’t want to shoot. I didn’t take a lot of risks.”

“Next fight, I’m willing to fight anyone.”

Well his movement looked very very good for someone that needs surgery on a knee.

Most of the fighters are 100% healthy and do not move like that.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Man maybe that hurt knee was a blessing in disquise because that jab was vicious. He looked like a mini Vladmeir Klitchsco in that cage. It was getting kinda scary actually, he turned that dudes face into ground chuck. This is a new game we are seeing from him and I can't wait to see him tested against better opposition. Give credit to his opponent for having heart.....but fuuuuuuuck man....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Dana White: Ilir Latifi 'absolutely' will get another UFC fight after Sweden main event save
    Dana White: Ilir Latifi 'absolutely' will get another UFC fight after Sweden main event save - MMAmania.com

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Man maybe that hurt knee was a blessing in disquise because that jab was vicious. He looked like a mini Vladmeir Klitchsco in that cage. It was getting kinda scary actually, he turned that dudes face into ground chuck. This is a new game we are seeing from him and I can't wait to see him tested against better opposition. Give credit to his opponent for having heart.....but fuuuuuuuck man....
    There definitely is something impressive about proving you can beat someone with one hand behind your back
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I'm gonna throw out the notion that perhaps Gegard also felt bad for Latifi for stepping up on short notice, and just like how CC had went easy on Anthony Perosh, Mouasai didnt want to come out and totally hurt/embarrass him.

Before, it was a given that fighters entered fights hurt. Now, it is considered news. Good for Mousasi for proceding with the fight though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information