Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bjorn Rebney: Odds of resolving contractual issue with Eddie Alvarez have increased

Default Bjorn Rebney: Odds of resolving contractual issue with Eddie Alvarez have increased

Bjorn Rebney: Odds of resolving contractual issue with Eddie Alvarez have

Though nothing official has changed regarding the status of the legalities involved, it sounds like Alvarez and his former employers are at least working out some of the kinks on the personal side of things. CEO Bjorn Rebney spoke with Rebellion Media last week at Bellator 95 where he revealed he’d crossed paths in a positive way with Alvarez during the festivities.

“I did get a chance to talk with Ed,” revealed Rebney, providing some good news for fans hoping to see Alvarez in the ring sooner than later. “Our chances of getting things resolved dramatically increased. We were talking and I hope it results in us getting this behind us. I’ve got to give a little and he’s got to give a little. Hopefully we can find that middle ground.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Its a travisty if Alverez is stuck in Bellator.

I'm still confused by this. Can someone sum all this up? Eddie was done his contract, had to negotiate with Bellator only for a certain time period, then Bellator could match any contract offered or at least try to match. UFC offered something (that in my opinion Bellator cannot possibly match at this point in the form of PPV %), Bellator said they would match and now somehow Eddie is stuck in court?

This is just sad all in all. All this is down time for Eddie, he should be fighting and should not get an immediate title shot because that's not how Bellator works (allegedly)
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    I'm still confused by this. Can someone sum all this up? Eddie was done his contract, had to negotiate with Bellator only for a certain time period, then Bellator could match any contract offered or at least try to match. UFC offered something (that in my opinion Bellator cannot possibly match at this point in the form of PPV %), Bellator said they would match and now somehow Eddie is stuck in court?

This is just sad all in all. All this is down time for Eddie, he should be fighting and should not get an immediate title shot because that's not how Bellator works (allegedly)
    You have it pretty spot on from my understanding except you left out the part that he was being given an automatic title shot once he got to the UFC (not sure if that was 100% true or not) and then Bellator said that he would be the main event of their very first PPV and then all the legal work that would go along with PPV % . Bellator says they matched the offer, Dana says there is no way in hell they can match the offer they put forward to Alverez and now we are in this mess.

It the long run its bullshit. If he wants to go somewhere else he should be allowed to go there. Bellator is literally holding him hostage and if i was Alverez i would do everything in my power to fuck that promotion over i.e mis weight, not show up for pressers, events to send a msg that you cant do this to fighters. Obviously Alverez wouldnt do anything like i just suggested, but if i was in his shoes i would be pissed.

5. Default

Who wants to watch lawyers fight. I believe if the UFC wants to win Eddie will be there. Just Eddie loses in the mean time also the fans too.

This is one of the main reasons that I have a hard time supporting Bellator. They need to let him fight wherever he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    This is one of the main reasons that I have a hard time supporting Bellator. They need to let him fight wherever he wants.
    UFC has done the same to fighters, most recent is obviously Rampage.

Business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    UFC has done the same to fighters, most recent is obviously Rampage.

Business as usual.
    Oh? I knew the relationship between UFC and Rampage has soured but I thought that was mostly because of Jackson running his mouth. What exactly did UFC do to Rampage?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

9. Default

My understanding Rampage still had a fight on his contract past up a big fight and went and did A Team movie. So I don't see much simularity in Eddie and Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Oh? I knew the relationship between UFC and Rampage has soured but I thought that was mostly because of Jackson running his mouth. What exactly did UFC do to Rampage?
    Rampage wanted out of his contract somewhat before his fight in Japan against Bader and very much so afterwards.

The A-Team movie was 2 years after he lost the title and 2 years before the contract issue and war of words.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 04-08-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Thread Information