Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexander Gustaffson camp requests Lyoto Machida or UFC injury fill-in

Default Alexander Gustaffson camp requests Lyoto Machida or UFC injury fill-in

Alexander Gustaffson camp requests Lyoto Machida or UFC injury fill-in | News

Gustafsson trainer Eric Delfierro today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) that the Swedish light-heavyweight recently made two requests to UFC matchmakers: be an injury replacement for the division's next title fight, or face ex-champ Lyoto Machida.

Of course, since Lyoto Machida is the No. 1 contender, he might wind up doing that anyway if the winner of an upcoming title bout between champ Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen is hurt or takes an extended break. Jones and Sonnen headline UFC 159 later this month.

Machida, who outpointed Dan Henderson to secure a title shot, recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio) that he'd rather stay active than wait for the opportunity.

Delfierro said Gustafsson is on vacation for at least another week following a disappointment in his native country. Scheduled to fight ex-Strikeforce champ Gegard Mousasi at UFC on FUEL TV 9 this past Saturday, he sustained a cut above his left eye in training, which prompted the Swedish Mixed Martial Arts Federation to nix his participation in the fight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Bad move calling out Machida imo. Machida takes this . Goose wont beable to tag at will like the shogun fight

I think a fight with Machida makes a lot of sense. I don't think either of them have really done quite enough to earn a title shot (although both have done more than Chael) but they're both close and a fight between them would make a definite #1 contender.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Machida takes this easy imo. Hell I think Gus's best chance at beating Mousasi may have just passed him by too.

i was so interested in goose/mousasi, but apparently gegard will be out for quite some time. a fight with machida makes absolutely perfect sense. i was set on machida getting a rematch with a win over hendo, but i'm sorry - his performance was not enough. a win over alexander would solidify him as the undisputed number one contender (and vice versa).

Aside from Machida, the only relatively top LHW available for Goose, depending on the timeline return from injury is Bader, and I'm not too certain if he'll be ready any time soon.

Goose could be a replacement for Hendo/Evans or Te Huna/Texeira if an injury occurred, but outside of Machida, if he wants to fight soon-ish, LHWs of note he could be paired up with aren't really at his ranking level, such as Manuwa or Hamill, which would be majorly risky for Goose....

Who is Glover facing next? shouldnt they both be free? Machida is a bad matchup for him. Maybe lil Nog?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Who is Glover facing next? shouldnt they both be free? Machida is a bad matchup for him. Maybe lil Nog?
    He was facing Bader, who dropped out due to injury and was replaced by Te Huna.

Hendo vs. Evans
    Lil Nog vs. Shogun
    Glover vs. Te-Huna
    Davis vs. Vinny

Pretty much everyone is tied up at the moment. I'd say asking for Machida is more than reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Goose wants to fight Jones and Machida is the only one in his way.

Thread Information