Thread: Brad Pickett aiming for Michael McDonald-like foe after UFC on FUEL TV 9 win

Default Brad Pickett aiming for Michael McDonald-like foe after UFC on FUEL TV 9 win

Brad Pickett aiming for Michael McDonald-like foe after UFC on FUEL TV 9 win | News

"I actually would like to fight someone ranked above me for once," he said after the fight. "I always get people below me. Maybe somebody like Michael McDonald would be a good fight. Anyone above me. Give me somebody above me."

Right now, the McDonald fight probably makes the most sense. Reigning champ and No. 1-ranked Dominick Cruz is on the sidelines due to a lingering knee injury. Interim champ and No. 2 Renan Barao meets No. 5 Wineland at UFC 161, and No. 3 Urijah Faber and No. 6 Scott Jorgensen headline Saturday's upcoming UFC event, The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale.

McDonald, meanwhile, remains unbooked. Most recently, the 22-year-old slugger suffered a submission loss to Barao in UFC on FUEL TV 7's headliner, but he awaits an opponent who can keep him at the top of the division. Pickett, in fact, first targeted the youngster as a potential opponent this past year. With both fighters willing to trade leather, Pickett believes it'd produce a compelling matchup.

Of course, the Englishman isn't looking for a simple slugfest. As he learned against Easton, whom a judge gifted a winning score despite Pickett's clear victory, a well-balanced attack can pay dividends.

"In the last fight (against Wineland), everyone said I was one-dimensional," he said after the fight. "This time, I looked to change and mix things up. I think it went well for me tonight."

For now, though, Pickett looks forward to a small vacation. He's getting married later this year, and with a $60,000 "Fight of the Night" bonus in his pocket, he plans to pamper his wife-to-be.

"I'm getting married at the end of this year, so that really helps me out a lot because my fiance is quite expensive," he said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think he's earned a step up. Give him MacDonald or the Faber/Jorgensen winner.
    Last edited by Fe1; 04-08-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

After UFC on FUEL TV 9 win, Brad Pickett wants a top contender in Boston | News
    "When I looked at the fight, it was really close," Pickett on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio). "A 30-27 could be a really close fight, or you could have a complete white-wash. Personally, I think the first two rounds were really close rounds. I believe I definitely took the first one. If I had to give him any, maybe the second round. But still, in my eyes, I did enough to win. The third round, I definitely won.

"But it was a great fight, and a fun fight to be involved in. He was tough. ... At one point, I got a little bit tired, and that's because he brought a lot of forward pressure."

But with that challenge out of the way, Pickett got back in the win column after what he admits was a poor performance in a split decision loss to Eddie Wineland in December.

He has wins in three of his past four fights, and while there are a few names he'd be glad to fight next, the key for him right now is getting back in the octagon reasonably quickly.

"I'm not in this sport just to be a number," the American Top Team-trained Brit said. "I want to be someone in the sport. And I'm not getting any younger. I want to get as far as I can as quick as I can. It would be nice to get a jump with these fights with someone ranked above me. But when I look at the division now, I've already fought five of the top 10."

When he takes a look around at some of the names he hasn't fought yet, he does see a handful of names. He also sees the calendar laid out in front of him.

With a wedding planned for the end of September, he'd love to get a fight in by August. Then he can have his nuptials, have his honeymoon, then come back and hope for one more before 2013 winds down.

And staring right back at him is an Aug. 17 date for the first UFC on FOX SPORTS 1 show, which takes place in Boston. It's just a matter of against whom.

"One fight I do look at above me that makes sense is Michael McDonald," he said. "Me and him would be a very exciting fight. Maybe the winner of Scott Jorgensen and Urijah (Faber) could be a possibility. But I just want another fight with an opponent like Mike Easton – it was a fun fight to have.

"I'd rather fight and keep myself active than not fight and wait around till a fight happens. Maybe someone like Brian Bowles, (Takeya) Mizugaki – all these guys would be great fights. I'm not calling anyone out. It's just fights that make sense. It's never, ever anything personal to me."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information