Thread: Urijah Faber: Injured Hand Prevented Sparring Ahead of ‘TUF 17’ Finale Win

Default Urijah Faber: Injured Hand Prevented Sparring Ahead of ‘TUF 17’ Finale Win

Urijah Faber: Injured Hand Prevented Sparring Ahead of
    “It wasn’t one of those injuries where you’re completely out. I thought it might have been fractured, but if it was, it wasn’t a deep fracture, because I was able to twist bottles and things like that,” said Faber. “I stayed in great shape, and I had all my coaches help me to prepare in other ways. I was able to run. I was able to tape it up and do mitt work, as long as I knew punches were coming. I was able to grapple -- just with people that I trust -- and so I wasn’t really worried about it.”

The injury notwithstanding, Faber looked razor sharp in the early stages of his clash with Jorgensen and remained one step ahead of his foe as the first round progressed, stuffing a takedown attempt and taking Jorgensen’s back before threatening to finish the fight with a guillotine choke.

“I think the biggest thing was just knowing that I would be comfortable wherever,” said Faber. “I wanted a high-paced fight, and I wanted to create some scrambles. We both landed some big punches, but it was that in-between grappling that made the difference.”

Jorgensen began to narrow the gap in round three, upping his output and forcing Faber to counterpunch. Whereas previously Faber had picked his shots from the outside and continually beaten “Young Guns” to the punch during those aforementioned scrambles, Jorgensen exchanged with the former champion much more evenly in the third frame.

Nevertheless, Faber would reassert his dominance in round four, when, after hitting a big double-leg takedown, the Californian secured Jorgensen’s back and locked in another body triangle. From that point, the result was academic, as Faber cinched a fight-ending rear-naked choke that forced his game opponent to relent.

“When you’re at the highest level, the smallest increments [decide] a win,” said Faber. “I was able to make him make a mistake. He was in it the whole time and landed some good punch combos on me. I felt like we were taking turns pushing the pace on our feet, but I think my scrambling and grappling was a little edge on my side, and that was the difference.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Not surprising, his striking looked a little tender last night.

3. Default

Living proof two friends can fight and put on a good show

i thought i saw Faber shaking both hands out from time to time during the fight. I thought he broke both of them but this would explain it.

Thread Information