Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • it's still a non issue--explain why in thread

24 64.86%
  • it's a concern, but Georges is a great champ, so, whatever

0 0%
  • it's a concern, but Diaz is a constant complainer, so, whatever

4 10.81%
  • It's a concern, Georges should lose the title defense win+ 20%, and just get a "regular" win

8 21.62%
  • It's a problem, Nick should get a rematch

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP believes he was 170.4 lbs, but not cheating at UFC 158

Hybrid View

Default GSP believes he was 170.4 lbs, but not cheating at UFC 158

GSP believes he was 170.4 lbs, but not cheating at UFC 158 - Mixed Martial Arts News

"They came to us just before weighing and even I was surprised. They told us they were going round. I was also surprised that Nick Diaz "St. Pierre said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press to lather the publication of his book The fighting spirit, published by Flammarion.

"The goal is to be 170 rather than 169, to be as close as possible to the limit while the weight. It is a mental thing, "said St-Pierre.

It said he was not sure of his exact weight, but he believes that it amounted to 170.4 pounds. The Board has therefore rounded to 170 pounds, the limit prescribed for the battle that took place on March 16.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-12-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Interesting, I wonder why gsp would come out and admit he was over. Anyone remember rampage claiming that Kevin randleman weighed 220 when they fought? Good thing its not that out of control. I do wonder if this gives weight to diaz's contract dispute.

To my mind, it doesn't lend weight, it confirms Diaz's complaint.

I honestly don't think anything will come of it, because a) it's Georges and b) it's Diaz complaining.

But what should happen is Georges is stripped of the title defense on his record and it goes as a non-title fight win; and Georges forfeits 20% of his purse, and the UFC doesn't go back to Quebec because they're colossal fuck-ups. Maybe give them 5 years to fix things and fire everyone involved in the issue and the subsequent inept cover-up.

rh

EDIT
    EDIT: fixed brainfart
    Last edited by rivethead; 04-12-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: sleep is good
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

I honestly don't think anything will come of it, because a) it's Georges and b) it's Diaz complaining.

But what should happen is Georges is stripped of the title defense on his record and it goes as a non-title fight win; and Georges forfeits 20% of his purse, and the UFC doesn't go back to Ontario because they're colossal fuck-ups. Maybe give them 5 years to fix things and fire everyone involved in the issue and the subsequent inept cover-up.

rh
    I normally think what you write is spot on rivet but no so much here. First it was Quebec not Ontario.....big difference, they are weird even for us Canadians,

I think GSP played within the rules that he was given for that fight, I mean it was 0.4 lbs he would have finished that cut with one more jog around the arena but when the AC says dont bother with decimals, he didnt bother. thats just how I see it, he did not cheat, he won fair and square, if anything the Quebec commish is simply a bunch of morons.

But what should happen is Georges is stripped of the title defense on his record and it goes as a non-title fight win; and Georges forfeits 20% of his purse, and the UFC doesn't go back to Ontario because they're colossal fuck-ups. Maybe give them 5 years to fix things and fire everyone involved in the issue and the subsequent inept cover-up.

rh
    I agree with RH, aside from the Montreal, Ontario bit and the fine... I get it, all of Canada is the same to you guys.

I get .4 pounds is insignificant to the outcome of the fight but as GSP said, its half mental.

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I like the map but you could of included a small strip along the bottom that said Canada.lol.

Map was from google images not my work... but worth a chuckle.

The funny thing is, 80% of the Canadian population does live within a small strip along the bottom of Canada / the USA boarder so that would kind of be accurate.

nice Cat.

What do you mean there's a SOUTH America? You mean, like Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by megamus View Post
    I normally think what you write is spot on rivet but no so much here. First it was Quebec not Ontario.....big difference, they are weird even for us Canadians,
    I just realized this on the way in.
    Agreed on the generalized goofiness of Quebec.

I think GSP played within the rules that he was given for that fight, I mean it was 0.4 lbs he would have finished that cut with one more jog around the arena but when the AC says dont bother with decimals, he didnt bother. thats just how I see it, he did not cheat, he won fair and square, if anything the Quebec commish is simply a bunch of morons.
    If they gave any latitude for more time to cut, yes, he could have lost the extra weight.

I'm under the impression that the rules state no additional time is given for title fights. It's hit it first time or not.

Again, this won't matter. Georges is a golden boy, rules shouldn't apply to him, and Diaz is simply a complainer to the bulk of casual fans.

Nothing is going to happen. It's sad, but it's life.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

But what should happen is Georges is stripped of the title defense on his record and it goes as a non-title fight win; and Georges forfeits 20% of his purse, and the UFC doesn't go back to Quebec because they're colossal fuck-ups. Maybe give them 5 years to fix things and fire everyone involved in the issue and the subsequent inept cover-up.
    Definitely don't agree. There is no reason Georges should be liable for any of this. He came in 0.4 lbs over the limit because the Quebec commission mentioned that it was okay for it to happen. He followed the guidelines provided.

However, let's say that he did in fact come in 0.4 lbs over and it was another commission (NSAC for example). He should've first been allowed to re-weigh without his shorts. That most likely would've been enough to make weight. However, let's say that he still was over. Then he should have been allowed 2 hours to cut the 0.4 lbs. Only if all of these failed is when Georges would have been liable and have to forfeit 20% of his purse. Given that none of these steps were put into place, he himself should not be held accountable.

I've been under the impression that fighters weren't given additional time in title bouts. But I could very well be wrong.

I agree on the shorts idea, if I'm not wrong. If he made it immediately, that works.

Still not sure it should be a title defense, even if he doesn't forfeit any purse.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information