Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • it's still a non issue--explain why in thread

24 64.86%
  • it's a concern, but Georges is a great champ, so, whatever

0 0%
  • it's a concern, but Diaz is a constant complainer, so, whatever

4 10.81%
  • It's a concern, Georges should lose the title defense win+ 20%, and just get a "regular" win

8 21.62%
  • It's a problem, Nick should get a rematch

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP believes he was 170.4 lbs, but not cheating at UFC 158

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I like the map but you could of included a small strip along the bottom that said Canada.lol.

Map was from google images not my work... but worth a chuckle.

The funny thing is, 80% of the Canadian population does live within a small strip along the bottom of Canada / the USA boarder so that would kind of be accurate.

I live in Ottawa. I can actually see the (imaginary) border to Quebec from where I'm sitting right now.
    Yes, we definitely make fun of people from Quebec and how they are different, but it's not all bad. Here's a quick list of reasons to like Quebec.

1) Legal drinking age of 18 (16 was close enough, most of the time).
    2) Dépaneurs. Basically the name for convinience stores where you can buy booze. Which may seem like no big deal but in Ontario alcohol is strictly regulated and you can only buy it at the LCBO or The Beer Store, which generally closes at like 9pm.
    3) Strip clubs. Lap dances are $20 and you can do just about anything you want. This isn't a big deal now, but to my 17 year old self...
    4) Poutine. It's pretty good in Ottawa, but in Quebec that shit is next level.
    5) French girls. I could write a whole paragraph just about this. You'll just have to trust me.

Nothing will be done about this. It's the Commission who screwed up, and has nothing to do with the UFC. The Commissions make the rules. The UFC are slaves to the Commissions, and have to follow their rules. Worst the UFC can do is never go back there again, or try to work out a deal ahead of time, that there will be no rounding off on weight the next time around.

The UFC's in charge of the fights (Commissions can always turn them down), and I don't see them granting Diaz an immediate rematch, simply because GSP followed the bizarre rule from the Commission. They certainly have no obligation to give him one. The Commission is in charge of the rules, and I don't see them fining a fighter 20% of their purse, for following the rules. There's no way in hell they'll penalize someone financially for their own screw up.

Not a damn thing will be done, and not a damn thing should be done... other than the Commission removing the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Nothing will be done about this. It's the Commission who screwed up, and has nothing to do with the UFC. The Commissions make the rules. The UFC are slaves to the Commissions, and have to follow their rules. Worst the UFC can do is never go back there again, or try to work out a deal ahead of time, that there will be no rounding off on weight the next time around.

The UFC's in charge of the fights (Commissions can always turn them down), and I don't see them granting Diaz an immediate rematch, simply because GSP followed the bizarre rule from the Commission. They certainly have no obligation to give him one. The Commission is in charge of the rules, and I don't see them fining a fighter 20% of their purse, for following the rules. There's no way in hell they'll penalize someone financially for their own screw up.

Not a damn thing will be done, and not a damn thing should be done... other than the Commission removing the rule.

The issue for Diaz's complaint is, he signed a business contract to fight somone who weighed 170 or less. Unless the UFC has a stipulation written into the contract which Diaz's lawyer did not realize, I think he has a case.

The UFC and Quebec commission should have been on the same page. The UFC screwed up its contract if it knew about the .9 allowance and did not write it in. If they did know about it, fighters should have been notified before hand. Both fighters said it was a last minute thing. The Quebec commission fucked up and lied about it.

Nothing will probably happen and the .4 didnt an impact on the fight but as I have said all along, this shit is sketchy.

Michael Landsberg - "What's the capital of Canada?"
    Dana White - "............Quebec?"

7. Default

Thats the way the UFC hopes people look at it. The UFC can not relax a commission rule, but they can enforce a stricter one. If the contract was for a title fight of 170 or< they should of informed the commission if they were on a different page. As far as the 20% purse the UFC could do that on there own it's there contract.
    How do you feel it was anybody Else's fault GSP missed weight. Now it is the commissions fault for bending the rules for him not GSP's even if his side asked for it.

Now I do agree nothing will come about it or change the outcome Nick got controlled for 5 rounds

As Hoss said the wording used GSP didn't admit to being over 170#

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Any other sources to that? Your link leads to a blank video page (or atleast here in Canada it does - or maybe just on my work comp? )

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    To my mind, it doesn't lend weight, it confirms Diaz's complaint.

I honestly don't think anything will come of it, because a) it's Georges and b) it's Diaz complaining.

But what should happen is Georges is stripped of the title defense on his record and it goes as a non-title fight win; and Georges forfeits 20% of his purse, and the UFC doesn't go back to Quebec because they're colossal fuck-ups. Maybe give them 5 years to fix things and fire everyone involved in the issue and the subsequent inept cover-up.
    Definitely don't agree. There is no reason Georges should be liable for any of this. He came in 0.4 lbs over the limit because the Quebec commission mentioned that it was okay for it to happen. He followed the guidelines provided.

However, let's say that he did in fact come in 0.4 lbs over and it was another commission (NSAC for example). He should've first been allowed to re-weigh without his shorts. That most likely would've been enough to make weight. However, let's say that he still was over. Then he should have been allowed 2 hours to cut the 0.4 lbs. Only if all of these failed is when Georges would have been liable and have to forfeit 20% of his purse. Given that none of these steps were put into place, he himself should not be held accountable.

Thread Information