Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • it's still a non issue--explain why in thread

24 64.86%
  • it's a concern, but Georges is a great champ, so, whatever

0 0%
  • it's a concern, but Diaz is a constant complainer, so, whatever

4 10.81%
  • It's a concern, Georges should lose the title defense win+ 20%, and just get a "regular" win

8 21.62%
  • It's a problem, Nick should get a rematch

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP believes he was 170.4 lbs, but not cheating at UFC 158

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Any other sources to that? Your link leads to a blank video page (or atleast here in Canada it does - or maybe just on my work comp? )
    just your work computer. It brought me to a french page with the video and everything.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

2. Default

DrMMA I guess it was dumb on my part to think those rules would of been followed when they failed on the 170# rule. Assume rule applies here.

I've been under the impression that fighters weren't given additional time in title bouts. But I could very well be wrong.

I agree on the shorts idea, if I'm not wrong. If he made it immediately, that works.

Still not sure it should be a title defense, even if he doesn't forfeit any purse.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    That's weird, it's actually a French Canadian site. It's the actual interview (in french). I'm sure the news sites will update/correct their mistranslated articles soon. Notice how none of them have the actual quote up where GSP "admits" that he weighed 170.4?
    I did notice the articles have said it was a 'rough' translation.

Where are all the french Canadians to translate it correctly for us?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I've been under the impression that fighters weren't given additional time in title bouts. But I could very well be wrong.

rh
    Only time i can recall recently this happening was when Nate came in 1 pound over against Bendo for the fox fight. He said he didnt know the rule and then was given the extra time after to cut the additional pound.

That fight was in Seattle, not sure if their rules are different from others because i can honestly say i dont recall many fighters coming in over weight for a championship fight.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Only time i can recall recently this happening was when Nate came in 1 pound over against Bendo for the fox fight. He said he didnt know the rule and then was given the extra time after to cut the additional pound.

That fight was in Seattle, not sure if their rules are different from others because i can honestly say i dont recall many fighters coming in over weight for a championship fight.
    Travis Lutter vs Anderson Silva & Paulo Filho Vs Chael Sonnen are the first two events to come to mind.. both were made non title fights... But then again they were alot over .4 lbs
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Mersch’s statement on video flies in the face of Quebec combat regulations as they’re written, which mandate that "at an official weigh-in, no time shall be granted to a contestant to enable him to increase or decrease his weight."
    Quebec Boxing Commission - Mixed Martial Arts Blog - ESPN

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

on the ufc web the rules are

Except with the approval of the Commission, or its executive director, the classes for mixed martial arts contests or exhibitions and the weights for each class shall be:
    Flyweight 125 pounds and under
    Bantamweight over 125 to 135 pounds
    Featherweight over 135 to 145 pounds
    Lightweight over 145 to 155 pounds
    Welterweight over 155 to 170 pounds
    Middleweight over 170 to 185 pounds
    Light Heavyweight over 185 to 205 pounds
    Heavyweight over 205 to 265 pounds
    Super Heavyweight over 265 pounds

In non-championship fights, there shall be allowed a 1 pound weigh allowance. In championship fights, the participants must weigh no more than that permitted for the relevant weight division.

9. Default

Apparently the actual transcript of the interview was wrong and that's why it was translated incorrectly. French speaking members in various other forums have been pointing out the mistake. Here's one example:

Link to a French speaking UG member commenting on it.

I don't know if this was posted while I was gone, but they also asked two different Athletic Commissions about how they calculate fight weight and they had some interesting responses:

According to Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, officials in the state “go by half-pounds so I round down to the nearest half-pound.”

In Nevada, added Kizer, the scales used go up and down by .2 pounds, so 170 pounds, 170.2 pounds and 170.4 pounds would be rounded down to 170 pounds and be considered to have made weight in the welterweight division. A fighter at 170.6 pounds or 170.8 pounds would round down to 170.5 pounds and be given up to one hour to lose the necessary weight.

In the state of New Jersey, common practice includes making exact weight (or less) for championship bouts.

Nick Lembo, counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, said that his agency “will allow one pound over on a contract weight, unless the promoter denies such allowance. However, the caveat is that most promoters want major title fights to be dead-on weight. Thus, 170 becomes exactly 170 or less.”

In previous UFC events in the state of New Jersey, UFC officials did not request a one-pound allowance for championship bouts, added Lembo.

Source

So it's not just a Canadian thing.
    ------------------

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information