Thread: Joe Lauzon wants spot at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston, tired of callouts

Default Joe Lauzon wants spot at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston, tired of callouts

Joe Lauzon wants spot at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston, tired of callouts | News

With the healing process chugging along, Lauzon now wants a spot on UFC's August card in Boston.

"I was hoping to fight in June or July, but they're probably already booking out that far," he recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "The time works out perfect. They just announced the August card, the Boston card in August, so I think everything makes sense. I think it lines up perfectly. It gives me a little more time to let my head heal up and deal with all that kind of stuff and get in there."

The UFC's record-holder for fight-night bonuses picked up his fifth "Fight of the Night" award against Miller. He also owns six "Submission of the Night" bonuses and a "KO of the Night" award.

However, Lauzon, who's currently ranked No. 11 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings, has no preference for a next opponent. Most of the top 15 lightweights who are under contract to the UFC are already booked for other fights.

"I really don't care (who I fight)," he said. "Whoever the UFC wants me to fight, I'll fight. I really feel like on any night I can beat anyone. I just need to game plan, and things need to go right in camp, and things need to go right on the night of the fight. But I feel like I can catch anyone.

"I haven't even thought about it. I keep my eye on everyone in my division. When there's a lightweight fight, I'm always watching. I try to take mental notes on what they're doing and whatnot, but once they give me an opponent, I really go back and look. But I don't care. Doesn't matter."

But don't expect him to get goaded into a bout. He said, likely because of his penchant for winning bonus awards, his Twitter timeline is often full of callouts from fellow fighters. Diego Sanchez and Pat Healy have been some of the most recent ones, he said.

Lauzon, though, chooses to ignore them.

"I really don't like acknowledging people because I have people calling me out all the time," he said. "I think it's because they see me get ... 'Fight of the Night' bonuses, so people are looking at it like a surefire bonus for them, win or lose."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Give Joe the fight in Boston...he deserves it
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Don't care for the guy but I guess I might be a fan by default since I like to watch him fight. Lauzon is a fighter to his core. He can stand and exchange blows or he'll take it to the mat. And the guy is tough as nails.

At the moment I don't recall any lackluster fights he's had. I don't root for him but I know I'm going to see a pretty good show/fight when he's in there. So, by all means get Joe an opponent and on the next available card.

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    Don't care for the guy but I guess I might be a fan by default since I like to watch him fight. Lauzon is a fighter to his core. He can stand and exchange blows or he'll take it to the mat. And the guy is tough as nails.

At the moment I don't recall any lackluster fights he's had. I don't root for him but I know I'm going to see a pretty good show/fight when he's in there. So, by all means get Joe an opponent and on the next available card.
    So, you like the way he fights but you don't like him as a person? I'm currious, why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

As much as I like both guys and wouldn't want to see either lose... Joe vs. Diego would be fucking fantastic.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So, you like the way he fights but you don't like him as a person? I'm currious, why is that?
    Well I don't have any hate for the guy and as far as I can tell he hasn't been busted for anything illegal and he's a clean fighter. He just seriously rubbed me the wrong way previous to the Kenny Florian fight. His attitude smelled of arrogance and disrespect.

So I carry no ill feelings toward him, he's just not on my list of fighters I really like.

Thread Information