+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion

Default Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion

Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion
    Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion - Mixed Martial Arts News
    Although both combat sports, boxing and mixed martial arts have mostly remained segrated. Athletes have mostly stayed in their own sport and their seems to be a different fan base for each. Boxing is somewhat considered your father's sport and MMA is for the new generation. UFC President Dana White considers himself a fan of both and has often praised some of boxing's brightest stars.

No MMA athlete has truly crossed over to a sucessful boxing career and no boxer has really tried to make a real run at MMA. In 2010 heavyweight James Toney did a one fight stint in the UFC, losing to hall of famer Randy Couture in the first round after being taken down easily.

Recently another boxing champion has brought up the idea of crossing over, going as far as talking to White about a possible career in the UFC. He recently spoke to Erik Fontanzez of Yahoo Sports about the possibility:

Two-time welterweight boxing champion Andre Berto discussed potentially fighting in the UFC with the organization's president, Dana White, a company official confirmed on Friday.

The fighter said in a recent interview that he ran into White a few weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the two had a conversation about the boxer transitioning over to the Las Vegas-based MMA promotion.

"I talked to Dana White about this ... the last time I [saw] him," Berto said in a recent video. "Don't be surprised if I try to get in that thing and win a title. I'll be the first fighter to win a boxing championship and a UFC mixed martial arts world championship."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think I've seen this one before. It's all well and good until someone barely grabs your ankle and you fall down. Suddenly you're on your back getting punched in the face. Welcome to mma.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

3. Default

It can be done not saying this is the guy as I don't know him, but it is feasible. He should get some wins in a smaller Org's first more than Brock did.

Berto is a different animal from James Toney, he's really athletic. But he needs at least 2 years of serious training before he can even think of going into the UFC, not to mention amateur fights. Or else he'll get grapple fucked or leg kicked to death....then finished.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Good luck training for about 5-10 years.

Most of JDS fights have all been about boxing. It makes me question if extensive training in MMA is really needed at HW. With the exception of Cain everyone else seems to be all about striking.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Most of JDS fights have all been about boxing. It makes me question if extensive training in MMA is really needed at HW. With the exception of Cain everyone else seems to be all about striking.
    Is this a serious post? Jesus f$&@ing Christ dude, do you even watch mma?
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Really?

What about..

Gonzaga
    Mir
    Big Nog
    Struve
    Werdum
    Bigfoot
    Cormier

I dont think any of the above fighters are all about striking.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

JDS staying on his feet all depends on his SPRAWL, which is more than a BOXING technique.

Let's see what happens when someone can negate your sprawl with offensive takedowns during combinations due to a versatile offense.

Enter Cain V.

He would fall into a tough weight class. Berto fights a 147 lbs. He would definitely need to get his grappling game strong for this weight class.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information