+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach: Pettis could be the next Anderson Silva

Default Coach: Pettis could be the next Anderson Silva

Coach: Pettis could be the next Anderson Silva - Mixed Martial Arts News

At only twenty six years old, Duke Roufus protege Anthony Pettis is already considered one of the best MMA fighters in the world. The flashy and effective strikers already owns some of the best knockouts and highlight reel striking in the UFC. According to his coach, in an interview with MMAMania, Pettis might soon be considered amongst the elite:

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Who do you think has the best Muay Thai that's applicable to MMA today?

Duke Roufus: Oh for sure it's Anderson Silva. I have huge respect for Anderson Silva. He's the best all around striker in mixed martial arts. For sure he's got a good fluid style and he uses the Thai clinch well. This is going to sound arrogant but I think in a few short years, you're going to see Anthony Pettis looking like Anderson Silva.

Anthony is a huge student. He really digs into my mind. He wants to know my old heroes I studied. He wants to know the new school fighters. I just watched a kickboxing event in Cambodia and there's a 12 hour difference in Thailand and I watch the fights. That's how much of a combat sports nerd I am. I watch Glory this past weekend, Lion Fights, everything. With the internet I can watch this stuff right away compared to before when I had to trade tapes with my buddies around the world. I can stay on top of all the information and media.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Big statement...
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Negative as I do not believe he (Pettis) can stifle wrestlers as Anderson has been able to do. I think a Gray Maynard beats Pettis any day and I honestly believe in a rematch that Bendo will beat Pettis.
    4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Negative as I do not believe he (Pettis) can stifle wrestlers as Anderson has been able to do. I think a Gray Maynard beats Pettis any day and I honestly believe in a rematch that Bendo will beat Pettis.
    You mean like AS did agaisnt Chael and Hendo??

Pettis is so good, and is going to shock the world when he finishes Aldo early and brutally

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Pettis is so good, and is going to shock the world when he finishes Aldo early and brutally
    Yushin Okami, sup?

I don't think stating that Anderson has been able to stifle wrestlers is a good statement. Changing the word "wrestler" with grappler would make that statement true.

He did finish both did he not?
    Hendo did get him down and didn't do much damage at all on the ground and round two Anderson stuffed the takedown and lit Hendo up and finished with a sub.
    Chael (Fight One) was able to keep him down and was subbed... (FIGHT Two) Chael was able to replicate the first fight for one round and further was finished.
    Stating two wrestlers who had ok and one stellar fights with Silva but were both soundly defeated do not make my point invalid. Anderson kept it on the feet against Okami who is known as a very good wrestler/grappler (the John Fitch of his division); he defeated Leites soundly (also a good grappler like it or not); soundly defeated Damien Maia (who had the best jits in the division) etc.
    So again yes Anderson has still done well against wrestlers by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said I just do not see Pettis being able to replicate that because I do not see him getting through Benson Henderson if he earns that rematch. Pettis is flipping awesome and an extremely well rounded fighter and I think the fight with Aldo will be insane BUT I do not think he will reach the level that Silva has, I am not above being proved wrong and will enjoy seeing it if it occurs though.
    4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    He did finish both did he not?Hendo did get him down and didn't do much damage at all on the ground and round two Anderson stuffed the takedown and lit Hendo up and finished with a sub.
    Chael (Fight One) was able to keep him down and was subbed... (FIGHT Two) Chael was able to replicate the first fight for one round and further was finished.
    Stating two wrestlers who had ok and one stellar fights with Silva but were both soundly defeated do not make my point invalid. Anderson kept it on the feet against Okami who is known as a very good wrestler/grappler (the John Fitch of his division); he defeated Leites soundly (also a good grappler like it or not); soundly defeated Damien Maia (who had the best jits in the division) etc.

So again yes Anderson has still done well against wrestlers by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said I just do not see Pettis being able to replicate that because I do not see him getting through Benson Henderson if he earns that rematch. Pettis is flipping awesome and an extremely well rounded fighter and I think the fight with Aldo will be insane BUT I do not think he will reach the level that Silva has, I am not above being proved wrong and will enjoy seeing it if it occurs though.
    Part Orange;

So because he finished them, that means he stifled them. Never knew that.

Part red;

You seem to have wrestling and GRAPPLING mixed up. Its okay, i understand how you can mix up BJJ and wrestling.

Part Orange 2.0;

you say he did well against wrestlers, yet the people you mention outside of hendo and Chael are BJJ or Judo guys. And we already know Hendo and Chael had great success taking Silva down.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

It is clear to everyone that Anderson's weakness is wrestlers who can put on constant pressure and not stay on the outside.

Anderson has done great against grapplers overall, especially BJJ because they have different takedowns. Had Maia had the takedowns, it could have gone a different way then Maia crab-walking around the Octagon.

Part Orange;

So because he finished them, that means he stifled them. Never knew that.

Part red;

You seem to have wrestling and GRAPPLING mixed up. Its okay, i understand how you can mix up BJJ and wrestling.

Part Orange 2.0;

you say he did well against wrestlers, yet the people you mention outside of hendo and Chael are BJJ or Judo guys. And we already know Hendo and Chael had great success taking Silva down.
    Uhh yes, finishing them is equivalent to stifling them. Taking him down doesn't mean silva doesnt deal with wrestlers well. He subbed chael and travis lutter off his back. He completely stuffed okami and even took down nate marquart.. I'd say anderson silva has been handling wrestlers very well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information