Thread: TJ Dillashaw: TUF doesn't show reality

Default TJ Dillashaw: TUF doesn't show reality

TJ Dillashaw: TUF doesn't show reality - Mixed Martial Arts News

Jack Brown: What was your first experience with martial arts/combat sports, and how did it become more than just a hobby for you?

TJ Dillashaw: Well my first martial art was wrestling, and my dad got me involved when I was eight years old. My father wrestled in high school and college and thought it would be a great sport to pass down. Naturally I was pretty good at it. It became more than a hobby for me when I was a junior in high school and I realized I could go really far in the sport and wanted to get a full ride to college.

JB: What do you recall about your first professional MMA fight, and how prepared do you feel you were at the time?

TD: My first professional fight was for King of the Cage in Reno, Nevada. It was a pretty good show, definitely a lot better than my next three. And after that, I got on the TV series, TUF 14. In my debut, I fought a fighter that I knew nothing about. I remember that he was very tough and that we had a three round bloody battle. As far as my preparation, I felt very confident that I was the better fighter and had done everything that I needed to. I was training with the top fighters in the world at my weight class and was catching on quick.

JB: You entered the UFC through The Ultimate Fighter 14. You were very successful on the show and you were a bantamweight finalist. How did you feel as you watched the show and prepared for the finale, and what do you think about your official debut, a somewhat controversial TKO loss to John Dodson?

TD: Well I was a little disappointed when I watched the show. I didnít realize how easy it would be for the producers to show what they want and to switch the order of things, as well as how much stuff they would leave out. They tried to build a plot for the finals and made anybody look the way they wanted. I was a little pissed that they switched the order of my fight to make it look like I was trying to take the easy way out when I had already fought.

My thoughts on my UFC debut at first were bitter! I did get caught with my hand down by the speed of John Dodson. He missed his punch and clubbed me with his forearm right behind the ear. He knocked me loopy for a second, and I was in the process of recovering and going for a single leg, when Herb Dean stopped the fight too early. I had trained for that fight too long and hard to not get the shot at recovering. I was bitter because I felt like I was the better fighter and let that TUF title slip through my fingers. Since then, I have learned to put it behind me by realizing the bigger picture ahead and that it must have been meant to be.

JB: You have been both a competitor and a coach on TUF. How did the two experiences compare?

TD: Being a coach is a whole lot better! Youíre not stuck in the house the whole time and you donít have to be constantly watching your back. There is a lot more drama involved while living in the house, and the producers make sure of that by giving no form of entertainment or privacy and by stocking the house full of alcohol.

JB: Your second round KO of Issei Tamura in your last fight, at UFC 158, was a dominant victory. You're now 3-0 since your loss at the TUF 14 Finale. What has contributed to your success and how do you feel about your last three performances?

TD: I feel my drive to be the best and mixing that with a great camp/team has contributed the most to my success. I feel good about my performances and feel that Iím heading in the right direction with my skills and that I keep getting better.

JB: Your next fight will be on short notice. You are replacing the injured Francisco Rivera, and you will be fighting Hugo Viana, on April 20th, at UFC on FOX 7, in San Jose. What do you think of the matchup, and how do you feel about fighting again so soon after your last fight?

TD: I feel like it is a good matchup for me and that Iím a better, more well-rounded fighter. Hugo is good, but in my eyes, very beatable. As long as I stay injury-free, I would love to fight as often as I am now. I took my last fight against Tamura on 3-weeks-notice and now this one is 4 weeks later. Iím always in the gym staying ready so that I donít have to get ready.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Uncle Dana might not like this. Someone saying the truth about how "reality" shows are bullshit.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Thread Information