+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cormier: Aside from Cain, Jones is the best

Default Cormier: Aside from Cain, Jones is the best

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-is-the-best/

Daniel Cormier is set to make his UFC debut this weekend against former Champion Frank Mir. Although winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grandprix, Cormier has expressed interest in moving to the lightheavyweight division and perhaps a shot at the man he considers the best in MMA today:

According to Cormier, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones is the king of kings when it comes to MMA:

"I think really Cain, but just so it's not like I'm picking my teammate, I think the best guy right now honestly is Jon Jones. He's the best right now, and he's gotten better because he's learned to fight with his length. Complement that with his cardio and physical gifts, and he's the best guy."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

Very subjective but I will play.

Anderson is 38ish and not getting younger. Anderson is the goat to me--but like everything else time catches up. The only real unstoppable force is time. That said Anderson will loose a step in every fight from here forward.

Aldo, on the other hand, is still only 26, Cain is 30 and Jones is 25. These three are GREAT complete fighters.

The future is bright as there will be guys that train MMA from a very young age.It will be very cool to see some of these future fighters, when they are 20 and already a complete fighter

edit
    Also
    Barao 26
    Ellenburger 27
    Hendricks 28
    Last edited by TBEAR; 04-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Jones is a monster but I just do not put him above Anderson Silva just yet although he is on his way to being there in the not too distant future.
    I would put Jones above Cain and above GSP though and I cannot really see any argument against that.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Jones is a monster but I just do not put him above Anderson Silva .......I cannot really see any argument against that.
    Well I couldn't rep you so I have to quote you with a "can't argue with that". Both Jones and Silva handle their opponents in dominant fashion and Silva just makes others look silly. I'm not sure who is going to knock them off their perch.

Cain is a top fighter but he has much to do before being ranked above Jones & Silva.

I think DC is right here.

Jones has run the gauntlet of what we all thought was the one of if not THE deepest division in MMA and absolutely destroyed legends of the sport on the way.

Anderson is amazing and this is not a slight against him in any way. I just don't think MW has ever had the talent depth LHW has.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

USA TODAY: Despite near-tragic weight cut, UFC's Daniel Cormier considering 205 | News
    "It was very scary," he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn't recover from the weight cut."

The two-time Olympic wrestler's harrowing experience came during the 2008 Beijing Games. As is customary with almost all elite-level wrestlers, Cormier was cutting water weight when his kidneys failed, forcing him to withdraw from the competition.

"I had been cutting weight for a really long time," Cormier said. "I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. ... Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary."

Cormier's history is one reason, even at 5-10, all of his professional MMA bouts have been as a heavyweight, with its 265-pound limit. It's the division in which he'll make his UFC debut at Saturday's UFC on FOX & event in San Jose (FOX, 8 p.m. ET). Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) faces ex-UFC champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC), but he thinks that, win or lose, his future might lie in a different weight class.

"Physically, I'm different now," said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. "When I was saying that I couldn't make light heavyweight, it wasn't happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I'm 234 pounds. That's almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I'm lighter now than even when I was wrestling."

Dropping a division would alleviate the possibility of Cormier being asked to fight teammate and friend Cain Velasquez, the UFC's heavyweight champ. It would also open the possibility of facing Jon Jones, the UFC's dominant light heavyweight champ who Cormier has said he has interest in facing.

First comes Mir, the highest-profile opponent of his career. But it seems Cormier has options in two divisions.

"I think I have to just get through this fight and then see what happens next," Cormier said. "I'm going to fight with my heart and soul and give you everything I have to win this fight against Frank and continue to build to hopefully one day be the UFC champion."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    It will be very cool to see some of these future fighters, when they are 20 and already a complete fighter
    Dude, every Friday at my BJJ gym the kids class is right before mine so I was always catch the end of their sparring. Some of these kids are landing difficult moves with solid technique, and a number of them train various striking arts too.

By the time some of these kids are 25, they'll have over fifteen years of grappling and striking experience, plus the knowledge of which techniques and styles are most effective will have moved forward a great deal, too.

There are going to be some absolute beasts out there that will inevitably make us look back at guys like Jones, Aldo, GSP and Anderson and see them as stand-outs from their time, but certainly not the greatest fighters that ever will exist.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

8. Default

Jones may be better than Silva except for one thing Silva has much more time of domenance under his belt. That to me is hard to beat as we've seen many get the glory than fall aside or down some, but at the rate Jones is going it won't be long. Also Silva has 3 wins in a weight class above from decent fighters and made all 3 look bad. Thats something Jones hasn't tried yet.

Good observation Dan C

I'm not hating on Cain, but I really think he needs to fight JDS again to even be able to claim he is the best HW in the world right now, so in my eyes he is very far from being near a GOAT discussion.

On the Jones v Silva discussion. I know that MMA math is pointless but they did both fight Bonnar and Vitor and those fights were very different if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Dude, every Friday at my BJJ gym the kids class is right before mine so I was always catch the end of their sparring. Some of these kids are landing difficult moves with solid technique, and a number of them train various striking arts too.

By the time some of these kids are 25, they'll have over fifteen years of grappling and striking experience, plus the knowledge of which techniques and styles are most effective will have moved forward a great deal, too.

There are going to be some absolute beasts out there that will inevitably make us look back at guys like Jones, Aldo, GSP and Anderson and see them as stand-outs from their time, but certainly not the greatest fighters that ever will exist.
    Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo fought and trained at a young age as well... like many other mixed martial artists.
    Legalize MMA in New York

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information