Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen Recounts Almost Getting Punched by Fan at TUF 17 Finale

Default Chael Sonnen Recounts Almost Getting Punched by Fan at TUF 17 Finale

Chael Sonnen recounts almost getting punched by fan at TUF 17 Finale | News

A quarter-second later, and Chael Sonnen might have been the first UFC fighter to get punched by a fan.

Were it not for a security worker with lightning reflexes, Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) might've had a shiner to show off next week at UFC 159, where he meets champ Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) at Newark, N.J.'s Prudential Center.

Sonnen was at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale when a male fan from Brazil called him over to the stands at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center, UFC President Dana White relayed earlier today at a press conference for UFC on FOX 7, which takes place Saturday at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Sonnen went over only to get swung on by the man, who "got bundled and dragged up every stair" of the arena while cursing the light-heavyweight contender, White said.

"It was very quick, like those things typically happen," said Sonnen in an interview today with MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "I was visiting with some fans, and a gentleman had started in on me. Ultimately, that's what it led to.

"I think a fan can do anything they want. I think they can heckle, a fan can boo, but they can't touch you. But the same thing goes for me. I can yell at a fan too, but you can't touch them. If you want to be a fan, you buy the ticket, and you can have any energy you want, whether it's positive or negative. And in this case it was negative, and he went a little too far."

For all the verbal jabs he's thrown in his rise to prominence, Sonnen has taken plenty of boos, but he said no fan has ever gotten physical.

"It was really quite interesting," Sonnen said. "He was caught literally a quarter-second before it would have landed. I barely saw it coming in before a gentleman named Kaya stepped in and caught it."

Sonnen, though, said that he wouldn't have hit back had the security guard been a little slower.

"We only compete in highly regulated and sanctioned matches," he said. "I'm not a fan of that, but if he would have connected, I would have turned the other cheek and walked away. I certainly wouldn't have engaged him.

"The guy seemed like a perfectly nice guy. He was an Anderson Silva fan. He was backing Anderson Silva verbally. For it to turn physical, yes, that was a surprise. But until that point, he just seemed like a guy with a passion for his favorite fighter."

Guy sounds like a real douchebag to the fullest. (the fan, not chael)
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Chael is awesome at being the 'bad guy'. I used to not be able to stand the guy - I laughed when he ran his mouth because some if it was downright hilarious, but ultimately I was not a fan of him. I've had a change of heart though haha. I thought he was great on TUF17, seemed really into it and into coaching his fighters and stuff. He seems like a true gentleman outside of the cage and outside of promoting his fights. It's refreshing to hear a 'pro fighter' make remarks like this - about turning a blind eye had he been hit, taking the negative energy in stride, not touching the fan/fighter, etc.

I tend to agree with a lot of the things he has to say regarding MMA and pro sports competitions.

However,

WAR BONES!

i enjoy Chael to the fullest but sometime when you make a bed you got to lay in that fucker

That's when you know you are playing the perfect Heel. Good job Chael.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Sonnen went over only to get swung on by the man, who "got bundled and dragged up every stair" of the arena while cursing the light-heavyweight contender, White said.
    I guess they throw around the term "light-heavyweight contender" pretty loosely nowadays.

That being said, what a stupid fan.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Sonnen fighting for the LHW title is an absolute joke. He just talked his way to the title shot and made a name for himself by trolling, trolling and trolling.

But it is very good his aproach on this situation. At least he is smart enough to realize that beating a fan would be catastrophic for his career. At least he is mature in this sense.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    But it is very good his aproach on this situation. At least he is smart enough to realize that beating a fan would be catastrophic for his career. At least he is mature in this sense.
    The UFC would probably use it to hype the Jones fight more. "Sonnen is riding a one fight winning streak after an impressive victory over a fan in the stands last week."
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Idaho... Potatoes aint the only thing that we grow..

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    The UFC would probably use it to hype the Jones fight more. "Sonnen is riding a one fight winning streak after an impressive victory over a fan in the stands last week."
    Repped OMG LOL
    Gotta resolve the Gayness

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Sonnen fighting for the LHW title is an absolute joke. He just talked his way to the title shot and made a name for himself by trolling, trolling and trolling.

Dude what the hell are you talking about?!?! If Sonnen didn't earn this title shot then this is the first I'm hearing about it.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Thread Information