Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: White: Georges St-Pierre has choice of Anderson Silva or Johny Hendricks next

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,824

    Default White: Georges St-Pierre has choice of Anderson Silva or Johny Hendricks next

    Dana White: Georges St-Pierre has choice of Anderson Silva or Johny Hendricks for next opponent - MMA Fighting

    "If Georges wants to fight Anderson Silva, we're not going to tell him `No, you have to fight Johny Hendricks,'" White said.

    White seemed to indicate if it was up to him and he could make the St-Pierre vs. Silva fight, St-Pierre would not vacate the title. He also noted win or lose against Silva, GSP would then go back to defending the welterweight belt.

    It had long been speculated the UFC was hoping for a Jon Jones vs. Silva superfight for the 20th anniversary show if it was held at Madison Square Garden. If Jones beats Chael Sonnen on April 27 and Silva beats Weidman, White didn't tip his hat on whether he'd rather go in the Jones vs. Silva direction.

    "It's a good problem to have," he joked, when asked about and if both options were open, which one he'd rather do.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Down the rabbit hole
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    If anyone has earned the right to pick between fighters, it's GSP. With that being said, I don't think anyone should have the right to pick between fighters.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K1NG P3NN View Post
    If anyone has earned the right to pick between fighters, it's GSP. With that being said, I don't think anyone should have the right to pick between fighters.
    Didnt GSP previously just get the opportunity to 'pick' Nick Diaz?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Didnt GSP previously just get the opportunity to 'pick' Nick Diaz?
    SHHH... He earned the right to.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    900

    Default

    so.... gsp has a choice between a rock and a hard place
    Amir Sadollah would like to thank: “TapouT, Sprawl, Suckerpunch Entertainment, and the inventor of the thong.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,193

    Default

    I believe that GSP will fight Hendricks then Silva.

    GSP won't allow for a tarnish on his legacy; the idea that he is ducking Hendricks will prevent him from fighting Silva. Money could sway his decision, though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slikguy View Post
    so.... gsp has a choice between a rock and a hard place
    Exactly, not for the reason implied though. By publically giving GSP the choice Dana White has made it so that GSP is ducking Silva by choosing Hendricks or ducking Hendricks by choosing Silva. GSP's only way to avoid any criticism now is to fight Silva and Hendricks at the same time or fight them back to back on the same card.

    Smart money is on Hendricks though. GSP actually values his title and what it represents. He's not about to disrespect the belt the way that Silva does. Plus he'on record as saying he'd need much more time to move up to 185 properly and he's not intrigued by the idea of a one off superfight.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

    The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

    HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    GSP's only way to avoid any criticism now is to fight Silva and Hendricks at the same time or fight them back to back on the same card.

    Smart money is on Hendricks though.

    GSP actually values his title and what it represents. He's not about to disrespect the belt the way that Silva does. Plus he'on record as saying he'd need much more time to move up to 185 properly and he's not intrigued by the idea of a one off superfight.
    EXACTLY!

    I think he'll take Hendricks - hasn't GSP come out and said that he's not interested in a fight with Silva? Or at least he isn't interested in moving up in weight because his "body cannot morph weight like ze other fighters" or some crazy French excuse

    Also I agree that if anyone should be able/deserving of picking opponents it's GSP, but I'm against people picking their opponents. Suggesting/call-outs is one thing, but Joe Silva is the matchmaker at the end of the day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,961

    Default

    Hope he fights Silva. At least then we'd see a finish in a GSP fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Hope he fights Silva. At least then we'd see a finish in a GSP fight.
    As a big GSP fan.. ouch.

    Haha, sadly you have to go back to 08/09 for the last GSP stoppages. Sigh.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •