+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nate Diaz likely to change weight classes after UFC on FOX 7

Default Nate Diaz likely to change weight classes after UFC on FOX 7

MMA News, UFC News - The Latest MMA and UFC Fight News

"I don't think there's anything for me at the lightweight division," he told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "I already beat everyone at lightweight or I fought everyone already. The only person who beat me was Ben, and Gil's going to handle him Saturday. I'm going to sit around and fight the guys all over again? Boring. There's no motivation in that. I'd rather fight someone new."

In fact, since winning "The Ultimate Fighter 5," Diaz has fought 13 times at 155 pounds and posted a 9-4 record. But his most recent bout ended in a decision loss to Henderson. With a Henderson rematch unlikely anytime soon, and since he figures Melendez will dethrone him anyway, he's looking elsewhere for his future.

Diaz said the move has everything to do with compelling matchups and nothing to do with the weight cuts needed to get down to 156 pounds.

"The weight cut is cool," he said. "I handle it easier than most of these guys, but like I said, I've been in this lightweight division for seven or eight years now, probably longer than any lightweight in here."

Diaz previously dabbled in the 170-pound division. From 2010-2011, he went 2-2 with wins over Rory Markham and Marcus Davis, and losses to Dong Hyun Kim and Rory MacDonald. He then returned to the lightweight division, where he won three consecutive bouts to earn his December title shot, which ended in a lopsided decision loss.

"So unless they have something really cool to offer (at lightweight) or a really cool fight that would interest me ... yeah, I'm out," he said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Doesn't look like the new manager is doing much good for Nate he doesn't belong at 170 unless he really bulks up which is unlikely and there are plenty of good fights for him at 155.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Doesn't look like the new manager is doing much good for Nate he doesn't belong at 170 unless he really bulks up which is unlikely and there are plenty of good fights for him at 155.
    i think he was talking about 145.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i think he was talking about 145.
    That's what I assumed too - can he make 145? I'm guessing he can if he's considering it, seems like a big cut for him though (although I have no idea what he walks around at, just going off the fact that he was at 170 for a bit and seemingly has to make a decent cut to 155).

Is he high? He got beat and went to WW,got demolished so he ran back to LW, got demolished again,and now here he is running,again. The new Kaleb Starnes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

He's too big to make 145 with a decent cut, and he's too small for 170. This won't be good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

If he wants to go up to go back up to 170, let him. If he's not after a title, and just wants to fight some fresh faces, I say let him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

i said this before... nate diaz is too big for 155 and too small for 170... him making the cut down to 145 will only make his already thin frame and lack of power a bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he high? He got beat and went to WW,got demolished so he ran back to LW, got demolished again,and now here he is running,again. The new Kaleb Starnes.
    I don't know that I've ever seen Nate actually get demolished. I've seen him get beaten convincingly, I've never seen him demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    He's too big to make 145 with a decent cut, and he's too small for 170. This won't be good for him.
    I thought the same thing about Cole Miller, and he's doing better than I thought he would.

I'm against weight cutting on principle, but I wouldn't write Nate off without seeing him actually perform...new management might push him in new directions.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Somebody tell Nate that there are wrestlers at 170 as well. it seems when the going gets tough Nate gets going. If you have a problem with wrestlers change your training...not divisions.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information