Thread: UFC's Gilbert Melendez says he took 'foot off the gas' but thought he still won

Default UFC's Gilbert Melendez says he took 'foot off the gas' but thought he still won

UFC's Gilbert Melendez says he took 'foot off the gas' but thought he still won | News

"I thought I won the first two and fifth, for sure," Melendez said after his UFC on FOX 7 loss to lightweight champ Benson Henderson (19-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC). "I took my foot off the gas a little bit after the second. The third was close, but I thought I came strong. I thought it was going to come down to the last round, and I thought I won the last round."

UFC on FOX 7 took place Saturday night in San Jose, Calif. Melendez lost the headlining matchup by split decision.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) actually agreed with Melendez, awarding him the first, second and fifth rounds for a 48-47 win. However, the entire fight was closely contested, and a split-decision result was rather unsurprising.
    "That's my own fault, but I totally felt like I turned it up in the fifth, and I thought I won that," Melendez said. "But took my foot off the gas. He adjusted pretty well, as well.

"I'm just happy to be working for these guys. This is what I've been waiting for my whole career. I've just got to look at it as this is a dream come true just to be here right now."

UFC on FOX 7 in Tweets: Pros score Henderson vs. Melendez, react to numerous knockouts - MMA Fighting

Edward Alvarez @Ealvarezfight

I had Gil winning that fight tonight for sure , that being said , that belts very Winnable Cant wait til I get my shot !!!!!
    Edward Alvarez @Ealvarezfight

Neither guy stepped up and tryed to Get after the other and End Him . I Fell asleep Twice during, seriously!!!! Want my turn Badddddd
    TJ Grant ✔ @TJ_Grant

#motivated!
    Joe Lauzon ✔ @JoeLauzon

I really don’t think anyone can really argue the decision there… 5 close rounds! #UFConFOX7
    Nam Phan ✔ @NamPhanMMA

I thought #gilbertmelendez won rounds 1, 2 and 5 he's the real champ
    Brad Tavares ✔ @BradTavares

You can't boo that fight, it was a good fight and could have went either w
    Reuben Duran ✔ @ReubenDuranUFC

Don't leave it to the judges! You will always get screwed!
    Josh Koscheck ✔ @JoshKoscheck

I scored it 3-2 for Henderson. But it was close. Gil will be back! Round 1 & 5 Gil Round 2,3&4 Henderson
    Gian Villante @GPVillante

I think @FrankieEdgar beat Henderson worse in a close fight but somehow Henderson always gets the close ones #bullshit @GilbertMelendez won
    Roy Nelson ✔ @roynelsonmma

I have @GilbertMelendez for the win but in the @ufc anything can happen specially when you fight ben with decisions. Right? @FrankieEdgar
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I rewatched the fight as I had a few too many in me last night to have a clear picture of the fight. Wow. What a great fight! I never really bought into the Gil Melendez hype as a top 3 lightweight and was looking forward to seeing him tested. Melendez looked great and really gave Benson a fight. Very close. Ultimately I'd give the fight to Benson... Gil took rounds 1 and 5, Benson 2,3 and 4. Round 2 was very close, maybe even 10-10 and round 5 was also very close. I don't think Gil was robbed as he never really took it too the champ.

Not a fan of instant rematches but with Pettis moving to featherweight I think I'd rather see Henderson/Melendez II if the only other option is the winner of Maynard/Grant. I got a whole lot of love for the Atlantic Canadian but don't see him as a top contender short of stopping Grey.

He won...I don't know how Henderson gets these decisions...I mean I was a fan but it's hard to like him when Frankie goes out on his shield and Benson is content to "get away" with these decisions...My two cents anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    He won...I don't know how Henderson gets these decisions...I mean I was a fan but it's hard to like him when Frankie goes out on his shield and Benson is content to "get away" with these decisions...My two cents anyhow...
    That makes 4 high profile fights that he has won when others thought he lost, the first Cerrone fight, both Frankie fights and now this fight. The only one of those I thought he actually won was the first Frankie fight, I don't even know how you could make a case that he won the second one though.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    That makes 4 high profile fights that he has won when others thought he lost, the first Cerrone fight, both Frankie fights and now this fight. The only one of those I thought he actually won was the first Frankie fight, I don't even know how you could make a case that he won the second one though.
    agreed. i thought he won the first Frankie fight for sure, but was shocked to see him "win" the second time. He's the new Leonard Garcia.

I actually hope Gray beats Bendo so that Frankie gets another shot at the belt that should still be his. That and I really like Gray and Frankie.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    Benson is content to "get away" with these decisions...My two cents anyhow...
    I've been a fan of Vendor and I like his attitude. But round 5 shocked me when he just continually circled away. It looked like he thought he won and was coasting. Definitely lost some enthusiasm for him as a fighter.

Thread Information