Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier felt UFC 'jitters' against Mir; next move will be a 'team decision

Default Daniel Cormier felt UFC 'jitters' against Mir; next move will be a 'team decision

UFC on FOX 7 results: Daniel Cormier felt UFC 'jitters' against Frank Mir; next move will be a 'team decision' - MMAmania.com

"I've had a very long athletic career, competed at the highest levels of all my sports and, you know, I always kind of laughed at Dana White he said there's jitters and there's nerves that come along with this," Cormier told reporters at the UFC on FOX 7 post-fight press conference (watch it here). "I was like, ‘My career's prepared me for this, there's no chance,' But man I was nervous today, like I felt so nervous it's almost like you want it so bad, you want to do so well and it's like you just kind of lay an egg a little bit."

The former Olympic wrestler has competed in some of the most prestigious athletic competitions known to man, but as we've seen time and time again, stepping under the bright lights of the UFC is an entirely different animal.

Cormier admits competing in the Octagon was a very different feeling than anything he has experienced in his life. Due to the nerves he became fatigued in a mixed martial arts (MMA) bout for the first time and it resulted in what he considered an underwhelming performance.

"I didn't fight the fight I wanted to," said Cormier. "And more than anything I felt tired and I've never gotten tired -- usually I'm in the fight and I feel great, I can go long and in this fight I was very tired and I think it was my nerves. I was very nervous in the back I felt like my legs were kind of weird."

The UFC debut of the 34-year-old was one of the most anticipated in recent memory and while he couldn't put Mir away inside the distance, the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion believes there is a bright side to his effort.

"I went in there and I fought and I fought as well as I could," Cormier stated. "It wasn't ideal, but if you can feel bad and beat a guy that's a two-time champion across the board there's got to be some positives to take away."

Prior to the fight, there was much talk about what Cormier would do after the fight with Mir. The American has the option of remaining at heavyweight or dropping down to 205-pounds to go after the title currently held by Jon Jones.

Cormier hasn't decided what will be the next step for his career, but claims he is flexible and a formal decision will come after he speaks with his coaches, management and the UFC brass.

"It's really going to be a team decision," said Cormier. "We've got to get together with the UFC and my management team and everybody else and figure out what the next step is.

"We'll get together and figure it out. If they say, ‘Well Daniel if your intention is to be a 205-pounder down the line and we need you to do it now,' then I guess that's what I got to do. It will be a team decision."

Terrible fight. For both. That's coming from a huge Mir fan too. I hope they both make something exciting happen in their next fights, because that needs to leave my memory asap.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

How bad this fight was, had been truly highlighted by how fantastic the rest of the card was.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Suisse drunk I'm having the funsies people not like my crazy
    someone should take my phone when I'm drunk.

How much does Cormier usually weigh in at? He looked heavier than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Transworld View Post
    How much does Cormier usually weigh in at? He looked heavier than normal.
    Cormier had a good camp and came in around 225 a few weeks ago, but he and his camp didn't want to come in that light against Mir, who'd be ALOT heavier than him and they wanted him to have a little more heft to him.

From what I've heard, Cormier's diet is pretty shitty and without eating great, he can float around 225 during his camp, so I think there's something to cutting down if it is something he can safely do. Consider if he has the proper diet and a great camp, there's a really scary possible LHW there....

That said, goddamn do I wish if we could get teammates Cain/Cormier in a no time limit HW title fight. That'd be such an amazing fight at the moment.

I don't think the fight was terrible, obviously it wasn't great but all of the other fights were so good, it made that fight look shitty. Cormier landed some nasty shots within the clinch. Other than his horrible clinch skills, Mir surprisingly didn't look too gassed being pushed against the fence, those few kicks he landed looked devastating though. It was clear Cormier wanted nothing to do with those kicks. I don't see Cormier having a problem making 205, if he's a wrestler he should know a thing or two about cutting weight. There are other Light Heavyweights out there that walk around heavier than him.

i enjoyed the fight. that's the third oversized, dangerous, top-ten heavyweight he's beaten with ease. mir was gassed after the first round after defending all that cagework, and he didn't have a prayer anywhere but at a distance. i'm curious to see what would happen if cormier were to fight JDS.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

It looked like a HW fight between two 265lb undercard HW's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Give the guy a break, it was his first fight in the UFC against a former world champion who Cormier was expected to KO. Cormier had a lot of pressure coming into this fight and he did what he had to do, beat a top ten UFC HW.

Cormier's future in the UFC is so bright, he gotta wear shades.

Cormier looked subpar in his last strikeforce fight, he looked subpar in his first UFC fight. I hope he does shape up though, I think he has a lot of potential.

This fight only gives me more confidence that Jones will demolish him when they eventually fight. If Mir's kicks made Cormier that uncomfortable, Jones' kicks will make the fight fun to watch.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information