Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Pettis: I'm still the best at 155

Hybrid View

Default Anthony Pettis: I'm still the best at 155

Anthony Pettis: I'm still the best at 155 - Mixed Martial Arts News

Despite now being a part of the featherweight division, and after watching Benson Henderson fight Melendez, Pettis still believes he's the best lightweight in the world:

@ShowtimePettis: Still convinced I'm the best at 155!!
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Says the guy who cutdown to FW....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    To be fair, I don't think he ran away from Benson. His fight with Aldo has just as much marketability, if not more. He has beaten Benson once before, and Aldo is the higher ranked P4P fighter. Beating Aldo would be more of an accomplishment than beating Benson again.

The one thing that irks me about Pettis dropping down to FW is that it leaves the number of contenders at LW scarce. FW had guys like Lamas, Zombie, Swanson, Siver, Mendes as possible contenders. LW has Maynard and Grant as the next option. IF Varner could string together a few more wins, he may be a contender down the line. You gotta also think how shitty that BS decision that Sanchez got over Gomi. It would have been Gomi's 3rd straight and a few more top wins would have put him on the contender list.

Says the guy who has already beat the champ. And only in my opinion, would take Melendez as well.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Says the guy who has already beat the champ. And only in my opinion, would take Melendez as well.
    Last I checked, Bendo was undefeated in the UFC, while Pettis dropped his UFC debut fight, which would've gotten him a title shot.

Can't understate what a mistake it is for both Pettis and the UFC for his drop to featherweight. IMO Benson/Pettis II is a bankable pay per view fight. With the right promotion like a Primetime series, I'm certain they could print money off this fight. The type of fight where personally, I'd be willing to put up my money up front to see it. Add in the fact that Aldo has 2-3 legit guys you could already pick from to defend against, I just don't get it. Chances are it's only a matter of time before Aldo makes his way up to lightweight to fight these guys, anyways.

I still think that Bendo could beat Pettis as I believe he would be able to take him down and do more damage. He doesn't just sit in people's guard and though Pettis TDD may be ok I believe Bendo's take downs are a hell of a lot better than his first fight.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

I am about to be harsher on Pettis than I have ever been on any other fighter not named Diaz or Silva. He never was the best and if he believed he was he would not have cut down. I think that he sees that Bendo has improved in a way that he simply has not and considering how razor thin the decision in the first fight was, he realized he might be in trouble. If he loses to Aldo it doesn't knock him back nearly as much as if he loses to Bendo. If he loses to Aldo he can blame a bad cut or Aldo being a mini-spider. He can also go back up to LW win a fight or two mention that he is on a winning streak at LW and that he has a win over the champ, and boom top contender. Is all of this smart? Yes. Is it even smart to be talking about LW right now? Yes. I just don't like it, but I'd probably do the exact same thing.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I am about to be harsher on Pettis than I have ever been on any other fighter not named Diaz or Silva. He never was the best and if he believed he was he would not have cut down. I think that he sees that Bendo has improved in a way that he simply has not and considering how razor thin the decision in the first fight was, he realized he might be in trouble. If he loses to Aldo it doesn't knock him back nearly as much as if he loses to Bendo.
    Or its because the Gil vs Bendo fight was already scheduled and Pettis (who just had a 11 month lay off between Lauzon and Cerrone) wanted to get back in their ASAP. Now he fights August 3rd rather than November or December like he would have had to if he didnt take this fight and waited for the 155 winner.

He is not "scared" of Bendo like Donosaur is trying to make it seem. Especially after Bendo has arguably lost 2 of his last 3 fights (edgar 2 and Gil in many peoples eyes). Bendo looks more beatable then ever before if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Or its because the Gil vs Bendo fight was already scheduled and Pettis (who just had a 11 month lay off between Lauzon and Cerrone) wanted to get back in their ASAP. Now he fights August 3rd rather than November or December like he would have had to if he didnt take this fight and waited for the 155 winner.

He is not "scared" of Bendo like Donosaur is trying to make it seem. Especially after Bendo has arguably lost 2 of his last 3 fights (edgar 2 and Gil in many peoples eyes). Bendo looks more beatable then ever before if you ask me.
    Here's my thing: If you say you're still the best at 155, but dropped down rather than stick it out and wait for your time to prove it, than you're full of shit, regardless of whether you'd win or lose. I don't like him saying it now that he's not currently in the running for the shot, it just comes off as an empty, weak gesture IMO. If you're the best at 155, you should've stayed there.

It is awfully easy for Pettis to say this now, watching the LW title fight on TV and judging for himself, it would have a whole lot more weight and validity if he stayed at 155 and was in line for the next shot. I'd be totally fine with him saying he was the best at 155 while AT 155, but since he's dropped down...I don't care for it.

Thread Information