Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Anthony Pettis: I'm still the best at 155

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Or its because the Gil vs Bendo fight was already scheduled and Pettis (who just had a 11 month lay off between Lauzon and Cerrone) wanted to get back in their ASAP. Now he fights August 3rd rather than November or December like he would have had to if he didnt take this fight and waited for the 155 winner.

    He is not "scared" of Bendo like Donosaur is trying to make it seem. Especially after Bendo has arguably lost 2 of his last 3 fights (edgar 2 and Gil in many peoples eyes). Bendo looks more beatable then ever before if you ask me.
    Here's my thing: If you say you're still the best at 155, but dropped down rather than stick it out and wait for your time to prove it, than you're full of shit, regardless of whether you'd win or lose. I don't like him saying it now that he's not currently in the running for the shot, it just comes off as an empty, weak gesture IMO. If you're the best at 155, you should've stayed there.

    It is awfully easy for Pettis to say this now, watching the LW title fight on TV and judging for himself, it would have a whole lot more weight and validity if he stayed at 155 and was in line for the next shot. I'd be totally fine with him saying he was the best at 155 while AT 155, but since he's dropped down...I don't care for it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    based off what though? Pettis has had one slip up since then and it was against Guida. Are you going to say his wrestling hasnt gotten better since 2011 when that fight took place? He hasnt even been taken down since that fight and even took jeremy stephens down to show he is adding wrestling to his game. Pettis is on a tear right now and runing through guys, Bendo on the other hand is edging out razor thin decisions with the expection of Diaz. And to be honest, i dont remember the last person Bendson henderson even finished. Im sorry im taking Pettis in that fight, just like i am him against Aldo.
    I personally just think Bendo has shown the greatest improvement. I have no proof besides the belt that Bendo is wearing. I am taking Aldo over Pettis, Bendo over Pettis, Frankie over Pettis, and Maynard over Pettis. I am not putting Showtime down, I actually like him, but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't be very confident against Bendo even though I already hold a victory over him.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Says the guy who cutdown to FW....
    Says the guy who has already beat the champ. And only in my opinion, would take Melendez as well.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

    ~ Genghis Khan

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Come on guys. Pettis would've been #1 contender either side after the KO over Cerrone, it was already guaranteed to him if he won. He chose the sooner fight, whats wrong with that? He feels he can beat anyone and he's already beat the champ, so whats to argue here? Anyone who says he's dumb for stating his opinion after arguably being the #1 contender for both divisions and have already beaten Benson, is just arrogant.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

    ~ Genghis Khan

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Says the guy who has already beat the champ. And only in my opinion, would take Melendez as well.
    Last I checked, Bendo was undefeated in the UFC, while Pettis dropped his UFC debut fight, which would've gotten him a title shot.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Come on guys. Pettis would've been #1 contender either side after the KO over Cerrone, it was already guaranteed to him if he won. He chose the sooner fight, whats wrong with that? He feels he can beat anyone and he's already beat the champ, so whats to argue here? Anyone who says he's dumb for stating his opinion after arguably being the #1 contender for both divisions and have already beaten Benson, is just arrogant.
    The only reason he's the #1 contender at FW is because King Dana knighted him so. Let's not pretend Pettis did ANYTHING to earn a shot at the 145 lb title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.



  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I personally just think Bendo has shown the greatest improvement. I have no proof besides the belt that Bendo is wearing. I am taking Aldo over Pettis, Bendo over Pettis, Frankie over Pettis, and Maynard over Pettis. I am not putting Showtime down, I actually like him, but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't be very confident against Bendo even though I already hold a victory over him.
    I agree with this as well. Everybody seems to only remember the cage kick in their first fight, but the decision was pretty close. I think that Pettis would have a tough night against all that you mentioned and throw in Diaz, Sanchez, Gomi, Melendez, Josh, Miller, and even Guida.

    Vrrooom! Vrroooom!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,284

    Default

    Welp, since Pettis is fighting Aldo.... that fight won't be a stalemate decision.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    based off what though? Pettis has had one slip up since then and it was against Guida. Are you going to say his wrestling hasnt gotten better since 2011 when that fight took place? He hasnt even been taken down since that fight and even took jeremy stephens down to show he is adding wrestling to his game. Pettis is on a tear right now and runing through guys, Bendo on the other hand is edging out razor thin decisions with the expection of Diaz. And to be honest, i dont remember the last person Bendson henderson even finished. Im sorry im taking Pettis in that fight, just like i am him against Aldo.
    He BARELY out-wrestled Stephens, eeking out a split decision against a gatekeeper. He really hasn't shown any improvement, he just has a great highlight reel. Bendo is at least in close fights with the cream of the crop at LW; Pettis has only been fighting gatekeepers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Here's my thing: If you say you're still the best at 155, but dropped down rather than stick it out and wait for your time to prove it, than you're full of shit, regardless of whether you'd win or lose.
    If it was any other weight class, I would agree 100%. The only thing I could say to this is that imo Aldo beats anyone under 170 lbs convincingly. I'd like to see him actually move up soon, but I feel like Aldo is a slightly tougher fight then Bendo right now.
    Last edited by goodtimes; 04-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.


    Zombie is born!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Welland , Ontario
    Posts
    790

    Default

    i'll say it again...Pettis will beat aldo...then go up and beat hendo...again!

    The reason I have... Bendo doesnt have the tenacity of a clay guida. Bendo like to stand. people are saying that bendo has improved more than Pettis. Lets not forget that Bendo hasn't finished a fight in SEVEN straight fights barely eding out Edgar and gil.. keeping in mind that Pettis has Koed Lauzon and finished Cerrone. Bendo has probably noticed that Pettis finishes people.what has Bendo shown Pettis?

    Pettis future title holder in two divisions simultaneously.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

    Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •