+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Following UFC on FOX 7 win, Matt Brown gunning for title shot

Default Following UFC on FOX 7 win, Matt Brown gunning for title shot

Following UFC on FOX 7 win, Matt Brown gunning for title shot | News

"I wouldn't be coming to work every day if I wasn't thinking about a title shot," Brown said at Saturday's UFC on FOX 7 post-event press conference in San Jose, Calif. "That's what I do every day. That's my dream. That's the only goal on my mind.

"I'm not getting up every day and getting punched in the face so I can make a couple thousand dollars, you know what I mean?"

Brown has a long history in the UFC that dates all the way back to his time on "The Ultimate Fighter 7." Recently, there were some lean times, and he suffered through a 1-4 stretch as personal problems kept him from focusing completely on training. But since the beginning of 2012, Brown has been a changed man, and he's now riding a five-fight win streak that features four knockout wins.

None of those victories was more impressive than his UFC on FOX 7 win over Canadian prospect Jordan Mein (27-9 MMA, 1-1 UFC). The two went toe-to-toe in an incredible opening round, and a vicious body shot dropped Brown, who looked like he was about to be finished. However, he climbed his way back to his feet, and he would win the fight with his own assault in the second.

UFC President Dana White praised Brown for his efforts and said he believed Mein made a tactical error in the biggest fight of his young career.

"Matt Brown is a gritty, tough guy," White said. "He was hurt bad with that body shot.

"I guarantee you the Mein kid, he was nervous. He had the jitters. Big fight for him on national television against Matt Brown. When he hurt him with that body shot, you don't jump on top of him and try to guillotine him. You make him stand back up and go back to that body."

What comes next for Brown remains to be seen. His career record is still just a few wins over .500, but his current run is certainly the most impressive of his career. His past two wins have been broadcast on network television, so he's certainly a marketable commodity. But Brown said he's not just looking for interesting fights. He wants something that's going to get him a shot at the title, and he doesn't care whether you agree he deserves it or not.

"Just because a bunch of media people don't believe I'm not good enough for a title shot doesn't mean that it's true," Brown said. "I train very hard every day, and I train with some of the best people in the world in all the different martial arts, and I believe that my time is coming. I believe things are coming my way more and more now, and I'm going to be ready for a title shot in the future."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It would certainly be sweet to see the stars align for Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    It would certainly be sweet to see the stars align for Matt.
    I am a big Matt Brown fan, love the way he fights, not to out point his opponent but to actually fight. Win-lose, always an exciting fight and exciting end.

However, I think Mein wins a fight with him 8 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I am a big Matt Brown fan, love the way he fights, not to out point his opponent but to actually fight. Win-lose, always an exciting fight and exciting end.

Only if mein develops his fight IQ. He made tactical errors that cost him that fight. He let Matt drag him into a brawl. He failed to capitalize on that body shot as well. If they fought again I'd still take brown. Cardio didn't come into play and neither did an injury. It wasn't a poor gameplan either. Brown is easy to scout. Mein failed to make it his fight. It ended with a decisive finish. Same with swick a guy people thought was superior striker was out struck and finished.
    Last edited by disposableassassin; 04-21-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post

But he didn't, Brown won, and now he is one step closer to a title shot.
    NWO 4 Lyfe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    But he didn't, Brown won, and now he is one step closer to a title shot.
    Truth^ I am admittedly a mark for brown, but there is no bias in my assessment. Matt is on a five fight win streak against credible opponents. Even if he gets owned in his next outing he deserves a top opponent. He is winning these fights with skill. He is becoming increasingly better at forcing people to fight his fight. He has drive, killer instinct and finishing power. He is also tough as hell. If he develops his submission defense and tightens up his striking defense a little he will be a force to be reckoned with against anyone in the division.

Give him to KOS.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Give him to KOS.
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Give him to KOS.
    On a side note: douche I love your Sam Rockwell quote. Seven psychopaths was fantastic. He stole the whole movie. Not an easy task when you are cast against the likes of Christopher Walken and woody harrelson!

Matt Brown is a warrior. That guy is gritty as hell. You know every Matt Brown fight you watch, you're going to be entertained and he'll go out on his shield to make it so. Congrats to him and the rejuvenation of his career, things were looking kinda grim there for a while. Would love to see him get another bump in competition. Lookin better and better every fight.

WAR THE IMMORTAL!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information