+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSP on JRE: Wishes there were no rounds in MMA

Default GSP on JRE: Wishes there were no rounds in MMA

GSP on JRE: Wishes there were no rounds in MMA - Mixed Martial Arts News
    UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently appeared on the ever phenomenal Joe Rogan Experience, and said he wishes there were no rounds in MMA.

Damon Martin ‏@DamonMartin
    Georges St-Pierre says he wishes there were no rounds in MMA. That's the true way to determine who is the best fighter. #UFC

The remarks parallel those of UFC co-founder Rorion Gracie, who cited them as a reason for selling the UFC, when a Royce vs. Ken Shamrock superfight made a time limit mandatory to adhere to the PPV schedule.

“We had to time the fights now, so a winner could be declared” said Rorion in a 2009 interview. “But how do you determine a jiu-jitsu winner if he’s at the mercy of judges who don’t understand jiu-jitsu? A jiu-jitsu fighter fights on his back, with his opponent on top of him. He needs time to wear out his opponent, to ‘cook’ him like my father did. There were rounds, and I no longer wanted to be involved. I wasn’t happy. It’s like a girlfriend you love until she becomes a bitch.”

UFC 1 actually had a time limit, of a sort. The rules called for an unlimited number of five-minute rounds, although not a single fight made it to the mark.

So what do you think UG? Would rounds make a difference? And if so, does it matter?

Other topics covered include:
    •GSP's experiences with aliens and time loss.
    •GSP says his body would adapt to a move to lightweight easier than a move to middleweight.
    •Hendricks is "probably" his next fight.
    •GSP says he walks around at 190lbs. A lot of lightweights walk around at or near that weight.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I agree that in a real fight nobody stands you up because you are being boring or because five minutes have went off the clock. Ideally MMA should be a demonstration of what would happen in a real fight minus dirty stuff, unfortunately that would fail soooooooo fast. As much as I love wrestling, and watching the guys with lesser TDD get embarrassed, I don't think I could sit through 25 minutes to an hour of uninterrupted "lay and pray". I would still consider that the fault of the guy who didn't stop the takedown and couldn't get up.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I'd fucking kill myself watching GSP "fight" "forever" lol
    Hahahaha u said a funny.

Anybody know the context of him talking about lightweight division? Like is he considering a move down there? That would be fuckin crazy, I think him and Bendo would make a great 5 round war

It’s like a girlfriend you love until she becomes a bitch.
    what a great analogy
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Renzo, Cro Cop, Te Huna, Maia, Lawler, Mousasi

rogan's podcast is the first thing gsp has finished since 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by carbondioxide830 View Post
    rogan's podcast is the first thing gsp has finished since 2008...
    very funny
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by d-low View Post
    Anybody know the context of him talking about lightweight division? Like is he considering a move down there? That would be fuckin crazy, I think him and Bendo would make a great 5 round war
    Rogan asked him about fighting Anderson Silva, GSP said he would rather have Silva fight at 170 since Silva used to fight at 168 when he was already in his mid-late 20s. GSP said he has a lot of trouble putting on weight, and 190 is about as big as he gets right now. Since a lot of guys are around 190 who fight at LW, he feels it wouldn't be that hard for him to move to LW if he wanted to, and it would be easier then moving to MW.

Also, I learned that me and GSP are about the same size and we bench the same weight (2 to 2.5 plates), which is kind of cool.

Zombie is born!

I agree with GSP in that there would be many more finishes in MMA were there no rounds. Many times fighters are saved due to the end of a round. Many times a fighter stalls from 1:00-1:30 left until the last 30 seconds. To me, it would be more ideal than the current incarnation of MMA. I did prefer the longer rounds of PRIDE over the modern UFC's shorter rounds. But the round rule just like every other rule seems to "protect the fighter from themselves". Fighters would no longer be able to rest or get that important (and not-so-important - Think BJ Penn's shitty cornermen) advice from their coaches.

Of course this would make judging a fight infinitely easier but the methodology of the criteria would have to be calibrated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information