GSP on JRE: Wishes there were no rounds in MMA - Mixed Martial Arts News
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently appeared on the ever phenomenal Joe Rogan Experience, and said he wishes there were no rounds in MMA.

Damon Martin ‏@DamonMartin
Georges St-Pierre says he wishes there were no rounds in MMA. That's the true way to determine who is the best fighter. #UFC

The remarks parallel those of UFC co-founder Rorion Gracie, who cited them as a reason for selling the UFC, when a Royce vs. Ken Shamrock superfight made a time limit mandatory to adhere to the PPV schedule.

“We had to time the fights now, so a winner could be declared” said Rorion in a 2009 interview. “But how do you determine a jiu-jitsu winner if he’s at the mercy of judges who don’t understand jiu-jitsu? A jiu-jitsu fighter fights on his back, with his opponent on top of him. He needs time to wear out his opponent, to ‘cook’ him like my father did. There were rounds, and I no longer wanted to be involved. I wasn’t happy. It’s like a girlfriend you love until she becomes a bitch.”

UFC 1 actually had a time limit, of a sort. The rules called for an unlimited number of five-minute rounds, although not a single fight made it to the mark.

So what do you think UG? Would rounds make a difference? And if so, does it matter?

Other topics covered include:
•GSP's experiences with aliens and time loss.
•GSP says his body would adapt to a move to lightweight easier than a move to middleweight.
•Hendricks is "probably" his next fight.
•GSP says he walks around at 190lbs. A lot of lightweights walk around at or near that weight.