Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSP on JRE: Wishes there were no rounds in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I agree with GSP in that there would be many more finishes in MMA were there no rounds. Many times fighters are saved due to the end of a round. Many times a fighter stalls from 1:00-1:30 left until the last 30 seconds. To me, it would be more ideal than the current incarnation of MMA. I did prefer the longer rounds of PRIDE over the modern UFC's shorter rounds. But the round rule just like every other rule seems to "protect the fighter from themselves". Fighters would no longer be able to rest or get that important (and not-so-important - Think BJ Penn's shitty cornermen) advice from their coaches.

Of course this would make judging a fight infinitely easier but the methodology of the criteria would have to be calibrated.
    Great point!

IF Gil and Ben fought under Pride type rules pertaining to rounds, maybe Gil would not have gotten that foolish cheerleading from Shields, he would then not have "stepped off the gas", perhaps continue on with the pace he was setting in the first 1.5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Great point!

IF Gil and Ben fought under Pride type rules pertaining to rounds, maybe Gil would not have gotten that foolish cheerleading from Shields, he would then not have "stepped off the gas", perhaps continue on with the pace he was setting in the first 1.5 rounds.
    If would most definitely show who is the better fighter rather than who has the better cornermen. Some cornermen turn fights around... some just blow it by blowing smoke up the fighter's ass instead of giving them solid criticism and strategy.

I would love to see how a 15 minute matchup would turn out at present. The result would be alot different from 5 years ago due the differences in training and nutrition.

I personally am tired of seeing fights where one fighter just barely wins two out of three rounds(by takedowns or lay n' pray) then gets lit up or dominated in the other, and still get the win. GSP/Penn 1 is an example ironically. I think having no rounds would help eliminate those kinds of decisions.
    Just one 15 min fight and then decide a winner.

I've stated before that I would like longer rounds to be implemented, the only draw-back is the risk of even more stalling, although a point deduction or yellow card could be used to counter this. Personally, I feel that the unified rules should have been revised years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Maybe it was just payback for when Melendez gave Shields the stupid advice of not going for the takedown against GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Maybe it was just payback for when Melendez gave Shields the stupid advice of not going for the takedown against GSP.

Default GSP: My takedown success owed to Karate, not wrestling

GSP: My takedown success owed to Karate, not wrestling - Mixed Martial Arts News

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was recently a guest on the Joe Rogan experience and the interview made news for a couple things he said.

Not really news, but a tidbit that Underground might find interesting was his dicussion with Rogan about Karate and how he credited his Karate upbringing being the most important part of his ability to successfully take people down:

"That's what I use for my takedown, the shoot, that people see, it's zero wrestling. It has nothing to do with my wrestling. My wrestling is once I get that leg, I'll finish the takedown. But how I get in and out is because of karate. People are like, ‘no way, Karate, no.' And I'm like, 'yes.' Karate allows me to cut the distance and take the people down.

I have a very good single, a very good double and very good penetration. It's because of my leg, the way I do it, and the timing is because of my karate. I wrestle, too, but my karate is primary. Before I started wrestling, I was a karate guy pure."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I wished he would have opened up more about his experience with aliens. Sure he sounds crazy, but on the other hand who better to be "picked" then one of the best fighters in the world lol

I know a lot of fights would probably be more boring, but i would love to see how two ten minute rounds would play out in mma fights (three ten minute rounds for title fights.) Maybe have a five minute overtime round for draws if they kept the same scoring system.

I'd have a better chance finishing War And Peace before GSP would finish a fight.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Thread Information