Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benson Henderson addresses fans about finishing rate

Default Benson Henderson addresses fans about finishing rate

Benson Henderson addresses fans about finishing rate - Mixed Martial Arts News

. Go ahead and ask any of my high school or college wrestling coaches. I was never picked 1st in dodgeball or basketball or soccer or football games growing up but one thing I always had was the will power and determination to NEVER give up, to not be afraid to open up my heart and give all of myself, to not hold anything back for the swim back to shore.

I guess I'm supposed to apologize that I'm no AndersonSilva or BJPenn, who is? I'm just that kid who would never stop, the kid whose older brother friends used to beat in 10 games of basketball (in a row) but would be pushing for the 11th game, yeah that's me. And just like back then I'm not going ANYWHERE, you want my belt, you're gonna have to pry it from my cold fingers.

No, I'm not the best but guess what, I've got the UFC LW belt and I'm just getting started, I'm getting better every single day...think about that, let that sink in.

A HUGE thanks to my growing family, faithful friends and real fans.

Smooth

*Chap. 3 is done, on to the next...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

If you look at the champs of WW and below, it's crazy how often they go to a decision:

GSP - 6 decisions in a row, last stoppage was versus BJ in Jan 2009
    Bendo - 7 decisions in a row, last stoppage versus Cerrone in April 2010
    Aldo - He's the only one who seems to stop his opponents, although of his 6 title defences, 4 of them were decisions
    Cruz - 4 decisions in a row, last stoppage versus Bowles in March 2010. Before that he had another 4 decisions
    Johnson - Last 5 wins were decisions, last stoppage versus Page in November 2010

Thus, if you were just looking at each of the current champion's title defences, from the 5 weight classes, 19 of the 22 title defences have gone to a decision.

Cruz 'stopping' Bowles was a TKO via broken hand as well, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    If you look at the champs of WW and below, it's crazy how often they go to a decision:

GSP - 6 decisions in a row, last stoppage was versus BJ in Jan 2009
    Bendo - 7 decisions in a row, last stoppage versus Cerrone in April 2010
    Aldo - He's the only one who seems to stop his opponents, although of his 6 title defences, 4 of them were decisions
    Cruz - 4 decisions in a row, last stoppage versus Bowles in March 2010. Before that he had another 4 decisions
    Johnson - Last 5 wins were decisions, last stoppage versus Page in November 2010

Thus, if you were just looking at each of the current champion's title defences, from the 5 weight classes, 19 of the 22 title defences have gone to a decision.
    Which is the main reason I hated UFC adding all of these lighter divisions. Sure, there is more and quicker action, but who wants to watch a 5 round slap fest? Benson Henderson may very well split decision the shit out of the 155 pound division, but I'd rather watch bigger fighter finish fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Cruz 'stopping' Bowles was a TKO via broken hand as well, wasn't it?
    Yes, but stoppage nonetheless. It was also the most anticlimactic stoppage. They went to a commercial break after the round was over and then when it came back, we just found out the fight was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Yes, but stoppage nonetheless. It was also the most anticlimactic stoppage. They went to a commercial break after the round was over and then when it came back, we just found out the fight was stopped.
    And GSP's stoppage of BJ Penn was just BJ gassing and quitting on the bench between rounds. The last time GSP stopped someone during a round was Matt Serra in April 2008

7. Default

I like Bendo and the never quit way of thinking.

Even though there is a lot of Dec in the smaller weightclasses, I think they have great fights and always show to fight.

Also, I think they do have good or great KO power, it is just harder to hit them clean (little dude are quick and move with punches well). But I can see some liking the big boys better, cause one shot from anyone and the fight ends.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    And GSP's stoppage of BJ Penn was just BJ gassing and quitting on the bench between rounds. The last time GSP stopped someone during a round was Matt Serra in April 2008
    No it was BJ Penn's corner throwing in the towel not BJ quitting. It was BJ's brother telling the doctor they were stopping it. It was BJ's brother telling the world that if BJ fought another round against GSP he was going to hurt BJ in a serious manner. It was BJ's brother telling the world he couldn't live with himself if he let BJ answer the bell.

You can try to downplay a corner stoppage all you want but in my mind there isn't a bigger statement than having the people who are of sound clairty and mind throw in the towel. Those are the people who are supposed to support you through thick and thin and they're saying you have no chance and are risking your well being if you go back out there.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Where did Bendo address anything about finishing fights?
    Legalize MMA in New York

I'm not a fan of him much anymore.. Maybe it's because he keeps getting lucky close decision wins against guys I really like but damn. GSP leaves no doubt, he dominates fights, and defends his title. Bendo is really starting to annoy me and edging out these decisions. Against Diaz he left no doubt, but the two Edgar fights and the Melendez fights it doesn't really prove to me he is the #1 LW in the world, without question.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Thread Information