Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowden: Why is Jones refusing to promote fight with Sonnen?

Default Snowden: Why is Jones refusing to promote fight with Sonnen?

Snowden: Why is Jones refusing to promote fight with Sonnen? - Mixed Martial Arts News

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones
    •I could care less about promoting my game is winning
    •The beautiful thing about Chael is that he uses his words and that's about all he has, really. He's just a gang of quotes that no one's going to remember.
    •He's weak in every way, shape or form. He taps before submissions are even sunk in. I could put one hand around his throat and he's probably going to tap.

B/R's Jonathan Snowden argues that UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is not promoting his fight on April 27 at UFC 159 with Chael Sonnen, and that the person most harmed is Jones himself.

Jon Jones gets paid by the viewer.

Like all defending UFC champions, Jones banks a dollar amount based largely on how many people order the show on pay-per-view.

It's not enough just to win. The world is filled with broke fighters who could win bouts, but couldn't win the hearts and minds of fight fans.

It's this stark reality that makes Jones' approach to his April 27th fight with Chael Sonnen, considered by many analysts the most commercial UFC fight of the year, nothing short of flabbergasting.

It's not just that Jones has seemingly refused to promote the fight, though his lack of interest and sneering dismissal of the business side of his profession has to be troubling for the UFC. Worse than disinterest, he's actively and continually downplayed the contest, making it clear that he doesn't believe Sonnen is a fit contender and that this isn't a competitive bout.

When the true masters of the game promote their bouts, they never dismiss their opponents outright like that.

Watching Jones during The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale on FX was painful. He and Sonnen were given an entire segment to promote their upcoming bout, a chance to hard-sell a captive audience of fans on free television.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-16-2013 at 12:06 PM.

He'll show plenty of emotion once he taps Sonnen.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

I don't think there's even a bit of animosity between these two and Jon's playing silent rather trying to pretend to hate him and looking stupid.
    I am the liquor

I like his best trash talk is when he is talking about how he is not going to trash talk. Bones looks like a hypocrite ALOT in my opinion.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

I dont blame Jones for not participating in promoting the fight in this situation. The only reason Chael got this fight was because of his ability to promote himself. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a less worthy contender for a title. Chael has not fought in the LHW division in over 5 years, and is not even ranked in the division.

By not partaking in the trash talk Jones is taking the power away from Sonnen. If more fighters would do this to self-promoters like Chael, maybe we would get more appealing title fights and less BS.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    I dont blame Jones for not participating in promoting the fight in this situation. The only reason Chael got this fight was because of his ability to promote himself. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a less worthy contender for a title. Chael has not fought in the LHW division in over 5 years, and is not even ranked in the division.

By not partaking in the trash talk Jones is taking the power away from Sonnen. If more fighters would do this to self-promoters like Chael, maybe we would get more appealing title fights and less BS.
    Exactly. Props to Jones for not playing Sonnens games. People will pay to watch Jones because of his skill and not because he has a big mouth.

...except for me. I'll be streaming this one.

It's not just that Jones has seemingly refused to promote the fight, though his lack of interest and sneering dismissal of the business side of his profession has to be troubling for the UFC. Worse than disinterest, he's actively and continually downplayed the contest, making it clear that he doesn't believe Sonnen is a fit contender and that this isn't a competitive bout.
    If the UFC is taking this situation so seriously maybe they'll make it a point to actually find fit contenders and competitive bouts for the title holders instead of trying to cram crap like this down the fans throats.
    Last edited by RearNakedStroke; 04-16-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

kind of off subject.
    But on the show when Jones lost to Chael in Bowling and Chael said loser has to wear the other teams jersey for their next training session, did Jones ever wear that jersey?
    I don't recall seeing Jones ever have it on during a training session.
    I remember Chael bringing the jersey to Jones, but Jones just tossed it.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagmadov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Hey guys he literally fucking talks a ton of trash in the tweet/article. It's like me saying I'm not gonna get involved with insulting someone, but you guys are oblivious assclowns.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Hey guys he literally fucking talks a ton of trash in the tweet/article. It's like me saying I'm not gonna get involved with insulting someone, but you guys are oblivious assclowns.
    And there's also there possibility that he's refusing to promote the fight as a slap in the face of the UFC for putting him in the cage with a completely undeserving opponent.

I seem to remember Jones promoting the hell out of his fight with Rampage in Denver. And I've never really heard of him refusing to promote any other fights before.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    And there's also there possibility that he's refusing to promote the fight as a slap in the face of the UFC for putting him in the cage with a completely undeserving opponent.
    Wow, you guys have a TON of respect for Vitor Belfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Thread Information